WAY too many categories

kybert

WAY to many categories

anyone else agree? there are so many that people dont even bother checking half of them anymore and people arent getting their questions answered. alot of them are just dead categories too. anyway, here are my suggestions.

1. get rid of young peoples section. its practically the same as the teens section and i dont really see anyone under 12 coming in there.

2. get rid of supplements section. it was fine talking about them in the adults section. perhaps make a sticky thread instead. people can add to it if they want without having to go to another section that will probably just die like the others.

3. merge prayer requests, remembering and whatever else would fit into that area.

4. get rid of religion category. no one goes there and it seems pointless anyway.

5. make stories, artwork etc into stickies. i mean, its basically a whole cateogry devoted to instructions on where to email stuff!

6. get rid of exercise category. as with the supplements section, it was fine when we talked about exercise in the adults and family section. maybe make that into a sticky as well.

7. maybe merge forum help and off topic.

ok im done!

kybert

WAY to many categories

anyone else agree? there are so many that people dont even bother checking half of them anymore and people arent getting their questions answered. alot of them are just dead categories too. anyway, here are my suggestions.

1. get rid of young peoples section. its practically the same as the teens section and i dont really see anyone under 12 coming in there.

2. get rid of supplements section. it was fine talking about them in the adults section. perhaps make a sticky thread instead. people can add to it if they want without having to go to another section that will probably just die like the others.

3. merge prayer requests, remembering and whatever else would fit into that area.

4. get rid of religion category. no one goes there and it seems pointless anyway.

5. make stories, artwork etc into stickies. i mean, its basically a whole cateogry devoted to instructions on where to email stuff!

6. get rid of exercise category. as with the supplements section, it was fine when we talked about exercise in the adults and family section. maybe make that into a sticky as well.

7. maybe merge forum help and off topic.

ok im done!

I

IG

RE: WAY to many categories

I think transplant could be merged as well. (into the adults [or main] topic)
I thought it was cool at first, but there's not going to be all that many questions, and I know a LOT of people just dropped by and asked questions because the post was right there and it made them think. If they have to go to a category there will be a lot less questions asked.
Besides for those that aren't actively seeking transplant, but have it on the edge of their mind, the hesitant ones don't actively go out and search for information... you know what I mean?

All of these are really good ideas. I've gotten to the point where I've blocked about 3 topics because it fills up too much of my screen.

I

IG

I think transplant could be merged as well. (into the adults [or main] topic)
I thought it was cool at first, but there's not going to be all that many questions, and I know a LOT of people just dropped by and asked questions because the post was right there and it made them think. If they have to go to a category there will be a lot less questions asked.
Besides for those that aren't actively seeking transplant, but have it on the edge of their mind, the hesitant ones don't actively go out and search for information... you know what I mean?

All of these are really good ideas. I've gotten to the point where I've blocked about 3 topics because it fills up too much of my screen.

kybert

RE:WAY to many categories

i agree with you on that one. transplant could just be made a 'sticky' in the adult catgeory.

kybert

i agree with you on that one. transplant could just be made a 'sticky' in the adult catgeory.

CowTown

I don't know what "stickies" are. I agree with #1, 3, 4, 5.

I'm not sure about taking away Supplements and Excercise sections. Although I agree people don't seem to remember they're there, it seems much easier to find what you're looking for. When the supplements were part of the general Adults section, I kept feeling like I was missing things and so many threads were going on I couldn't keep them straight among the regular threads. Now that it's in its own section though, not many people are using it.....so that's a drag. Maybe it's not working like I hoped it would.

I was thinking maybe the design for each section could show the navigation more clearly as well as bring some of the Home page nav buttons in to have more a consistent layout. You know like on other web sites, you can always *see* what the other options are for nav, otherwise you loose people. I know there's the drop down menu, but along with all the other icon buttons, statistics, etc, that drop down gets lost in my opinion and doesn't remind you of what else is available. I took it upon myself to reorganize a little bit to show what I'm talking about. Please take a look at the attachement. There are ways to condense the info to give more space and ways to show the navigation more clearly. (Hopefully this is in good enough resolution for you to see since I had to reduce it to under 100k).

Just a thought......

CowTown

I don't know what "stickies" are. I agree with #1, 3, 4, 5.

I'm not sure about taking away Supplements and Excercise sections. Although I agree people don't seem to remember they're there, it seems much easier to find what you're looking for. When the supplements were part of the general Adults section, I kept feeling like I was missing things and so many threads were going on I couldn't keep them straight among the regular threads. Now that it's in its own section though, not many people are using it.....so that's a drag. Maybe it's not working like I hoped it would.

I was thinking maybe the design for each section could show the navigation more clearly as well as bring some of the Home page nav buttons in to have more a consistent layout. You know like on other web sites, you can always *see* what the other options are for nav, otherwise you loose people. I know there's the drop down menu, but along with all the other icon buttons, statistics, etc, that drop down gets lost in my opinion and doesn't remind you of what else is available. I took it upon myself to reorganize a little bit to show what I'm talking about. Please take a look at the attachement. There are ways to condense the info to give more space and ways to show the navigation more clearly. (Hopefully this is in good enough resolution for you to see since I had to reduce it to under 100k).

Just a thought......

CowTown

To clarify, all the other forum sections I thought could stand out in yellow (on the purple bar) and the forum you are on could be identified by having a darker background behind the word (those words white - different from the ones you are not on) of the category you are in. That way it is visually clear where you are and what your other choices are.

CowTown

To clarify, all the other forum sections I thought could stand out in yellow (on the purple bar) and the forum you are on could be identified by having a darker background behind the word (those words white - different from the ones you are not on) of the category you are in. That way it is visually clear where you are and what your other choices are.

Rokiss12

i totally agree...personally im happy with just the adults, teen, family, and off topic *like old times*

tehe...

all these catigories are confusing me.. but i think we should keep a relgion/remembering/prayer catigory, and make a like 'administrative announcement' section, where the administrator could post things about artwork/stories/Q&A/whatever else...

Rokiss12

i totally agree...personally im happy with just the adults, teen, family, and off topic *like old times*

tehe...

all these catigories are confusing me.. but i think we should keep a relgion/remembering/prayer catigory, and make a like 'administrative announcement' section, where the administrator could post things about artwork/stories/Q&A/whatever else...

kybert

stickies are threads that a permanantely at the top of the thread subject list. they never go away and they are always there for everyone to find easily, see and to add to. they usually have an icon next to them to let you know what they are. like the exclamation icon here. although your idea is good i still feel there are still too many things to look at. its not really a problem of people not knowing where they are, its a problem of people not being bothered to look at an obscene amount of categories [and rightly so].

kybert

stickies are threads that a permanantely at the top of the thread subject list. they never go away and they are always there for everyone to find easily, see and to add to. they usually have an icon next to them to let you know what they are. like the exclamation icon here. although your idea is good i still feel there are still too many things to look at. its not really a problem of people not knowing where they are, its a problem of people not being bothered to look at an obscene amount of categories [and rightly so].

Purplelungz

stickies are a good idea. like when the adimins put a announcement up it stays for a good while at the top. just make it permanant like kylie said. because people do post about suplements all the time in the adults and family sections, i just dont see them doing the same on the seperate forum why? well look at some of the recent posts in the adults they say "i should have posted in such and such forum but more people come here"

Purplelungz

stickies are a good idea. like when the adimins put a announcement up it stays for a good while at the top. just make it permanant like kylie said. because people do post about suplements all the time in the adults and family sections, i just dont see them doing the same on the seperate forum why? well look at some of the recent posts in the adults they say "i should have posted in such and such forum but more people come here"

catboogie

you have made some good suggestions. one thing that occurred to me: make the "families" section into a section for parents of cf kids.

catboogie

you have made some good suggestions. one thing that occurred to me: make the "families" section into a section for parents of cf kids.

Landy

You'll probably shoot me here, but I actually wouldn't mind a category for people that have/are writing term papers or doing school projects--that way when they ask a hundred questions that have already been asked, we could just point them to that category & let 'em have at it.

Landy

You'll probably shoot me here, but I actually wouldn't mind a category for people that have/are writing term papers or doing school projects--that way when they ask a hundred questions that have already been asked, we could just point them to that category & let 'em have at it.