weighing too much?

anonymous

Hi, about being overweight, well it's obviously not seen too often in people with CF. But my doc told me that she notices that alot of her patients, once they get to be around 20, their metabolism changed and they seemed to put on weight more easily (as opposed to trying incredibly hard to put it on). She said that a little extra weight was ok but that being overweight was not god either, that it too had it's own set of problems.

anonymous

thanks for replying. I am going to call the doctor this week to see if the weight gain could be connected to cfrd. also, after trying to get my daughter to gain weight for 19 years, this is an almost funny problem- but she is not that happy at her new weight and I want to make sure there is not a medical reason for the gain and also to make sure she loses the weight in a very safe way--if at all.

Cindo

hii am about 10kg - 22pound - overweight and now losing it. i got to 85kg at 5'4" (190pound approx) and am now down to 65kg (143pound). I'd like to lose that last 10 pound. I did it by completely cutting out junk food including fish and chips, twisties, muesli bars(full of sugars) etc and eating fresh cooked foods with olive oil and nuts as my main fat sources. I took all my meds and supplements. Ate heaps of fresh fruit salad, rice and veges -stirfries!- and rediscovered the great taste of properly cooked foods. to alleviate the feeling of missing out i let myself have three GUILT FREE meals per week, of fat and sugar - and regretted eating them after for the fatty taste on my teeth, tummy cramps etc as my body wasn't used to it.I lost the 45 pound over almost 9months - not too bad. exercise exercise my friend - i did one hour on the beach 5 days per week, and now if i don't get my daily walk i get grumpy - it's great me time and my dog loves it too! Now my boyfriend comes with me after dinner, as i live in the tropics and it's too hot in the daytime - 40degC and 70% humidity. My potassium levels and sodium drop sharply if i don't take my supplements - check with your doc of course.

anonymous

hi, it's Cindo again but I can't seem to login...Anyway, yes my biggest problem is Pancreatic insufficiency. I take between 80 and150 Pancrease per day - no shit. I also usually take omeprazole tab every two days for reflux. so bloating is a big prob. however, I am vego and find that eating less meat is better as the animal fat seems so much harder to digest. I don't recommend it for everyone - see how you feel and if your doc says okay. My dietitian was worried that I wouldn't get my B vits or enough energy, but I did a food diary for her and all is good. I still eat plenty of fish and loads of lentils and beans. I've done a bit of my own nutrition research and am confident I am looking after myself.I have never been underweight, although my parents struggled to keep my weight on me before 16y/o, and then my metabolism must have slowed because that's when I started struggling to take it off! It was a big shock to the system, to not have to eat huge meals and heaps of high sugar and fat food! I couldn't understand why. The docs haven't shown they are too surprised, and do encourage me to lose that few extra kilo/pound. It's kind of strange, most CF's are opposite, esp with my pancreatic insufficiency. anyway, that's my little story.....

rmklaus

Hello, I am over weight and have CF. I weigh right now 185lbs and I am 6 foot tall. My average weight should be around 165-175. My doctor is helping me lose some of the weight so I can be comfortable and not have so many joint problems. I learned back about 2 years ago when I only weighed 110 to 120lbs that I needed to add carbo's to my diet in order to gain weight. So, I started eating plain rice about 6 servings a day which helped put on the weight and also I added salt which helped with my low salt issues. Now, I have cut back on the rice by eating 2 servings a day. I also have cut out pop, chips, sweets, and try to eat fruit at least 1 time a day. I exercise everyday except for the weekends. I ride my bike 2 miles every weekday, and do Winsor pilates every weekday for 45 minutes. I have lost a total of 4lbs so far in just a month in a half which isn't to bad. I also changed my pancrease pills to another brand which helped with digestion a lot better than my old pills did. I take 21-26 pangastymes(enzymes) total through the whole day and I take Prevacid 2 times a day to help with GERD. Melissa 30w/CF and mrsa