weight gain concerns

M

Mommafirst

Tammy,

I absolutely think you should call the dietician. That is a pretty sharp drop off for a kid that has done well with her weight overall. Its not like you need to do anything drastic, but the nutritionist should be aware and keep watch on it. If after the abx she doesn't pick back up in weight, I'd definitely push having a visit with nutrition.

AT my clinic, 18% would put her "at risk" for nutritioinal failure. YOu don't want to wait until she is in failure for someone to notice. I think it is easy for it to get lost, especially since the visits since November have probably placed a bit of extra emphasis on Kayla.

Do you do high cal things already for the girls? Maybe you could get Hannah to drink a boost or scandishake every day to up the cals.

M

Mommafirst

Tammy,

I absolutely think you should call the dietician. That is a pretty sharp drop off for a kid that has done well with her weight overall. Its not like you need to do anything drastic, but the nutritionist should be aware and keep watch on it. If after the abx she doesn't pick back up in weight, I'd definitely push having a visit with nutrition.

AT my clinic, 18% would put her "at risk" for nutritioinal failure. YOu don't want to wait until she is in failure for someone to notice. I think it is easy for it to get lost, especially since the visits since November have probably placed a bit of extra emphasis on Kayla.

Do you do high cal things already for the girls? Maybe you could get Hannah to drink a boost or scandishake every day to up the cals.

M

Mommafirst

Tammy,

M

Mommafirst

Tammy,

M

Mommafirst

Tammy,
<br />
<br />I absolutely think you should call the dietician. That is a pretty sharp drop off for a kid that has done well with her weight overall. Its not like you need to do anything drastic, but the nutritionist should be aware and keep watch on it. If after the abx she doesn't pick back up in weight, I'd definitely push having a visit with nutrition.
<br />
<br />AT my clinic, 18% would put her "at risk" for nutritioinal failure. YOu don't want to wait until she is in failure for someone to notice. I think it is easy for it to get lost, especially since the visits since November have probably placed a bit of extra emphasis on Kayla.
<br />
<br />Do you do high cal things already for the girls? Maybe you could get Hannah to drink a boost or scandishake every day to up the cals.
<br />
<br />

reagansmom

I would call your center and ask if they could have a nutritionist call you, or at the very least give an email address.

reagansmom

I would call your center and ask if they could have a nutritionist call you, or at the very least give an email address.

reagansmom

reagansmom

reagansmom

<br />

zoe4life

Tammy,
Hi! Well, you know we are dealing with the weight thing right now also. But, what I was thinking is, on the days that we get appts. on non regular cf clinic days, Zoe's Dr. will call the nurtritionist in. Maybe that would be something you could ask them to do.
I don't think I would go much longer without seeing one though, you are right, not gaining in a year could be a concern and you sure don't want this to be the start of a down hill spiral.
Hang in there! Hugs!
Love,

zoe4life

Tammy,
Hi! Well, you know we are dealing with the weight thing right now also. But, what I was thinking is, on the days that we get appts. on non regular cf clinic days, Zoe's Dr. will call the nurtritionist in. Maybe that would be something you could ask them to do.
I don't think I would go much longer without seeing one though, you are right, not gaining in a year could be a concern and you sure don't want this to be the start of a down hill spiral.
Hang in there! Hugs!
Love,

zoe4life

Tammy,
Hang in there! Hugs!
Love,

zoe4life

Tammy,
Hang in there! Hugs!
Love,

zoe4life

Tammy,
<br />Hi! Well, you know we are dealing with the weight thing right now also. But, what I was thinking is, on the days that we get appts. on non regular cf clinic days, Zoe's Dr. will call the nurtritionist in. Maybe that would be something you could ask them to do.
<br />I don't think I would go much longer without seeing one though, you are right, not gaining in a year could be a concern and you sure don't want this to be the start of a down hill spiral.
<br />Hang in there! Hugs!
<br />Love,
<br />

hmw

I know I would personally want to make sure that this was addressed before it went any further... your instincts are already warning you that this is not good, and a yr of no gain is obviously not healthy. (I have a kid with a bmi in the 17% who fell through the cracks for too long and is now at quite the disadvantage there, so really feel strongly about wanting to keep on top of that as best you can...)

I understand the need for a special clinic day for kids w/ cepacia, but it shouldn't compromise the 'whole kid' approach to care that you generally get when you get the full clinic visits and I feel bad that the girls haven't had the benefit of seeing everyone that they had been able to see before. I hope, as in Jada's case w/ Zoe, you can arrange to have the nutritionist come in during future appts, since keeping wt up really seems to be associated with improved respiratory health.

hmw

I know I would personally want to make sure that this was addressed before it went any further... your instincts are already warning you that this is not good, and a yr of no gain is obviously not healthy. (I have a kid with a bmi in the 17% who fell through the cracks for too long and is now at quite the disadvantage there, so really feel strongly about wanting to keep on top of that as best you can...)

I understand the need for a special clinic day for kids w/ cepacia, but it shouldn't compromise the 'whole kid' approach to care that you generally get when you get the full clinic visits and I feel bad that the girls haven't had the benefit of seeing everyone that they had been able to see before. I hope, as in Jada's case w/ Zoe, you can arrange to have the nutritionist come in during future appts, since keeping wt up really seems to be associated with improved respiratory health.

hmw

hmw

hmw

<br />
<br />I understand the need for a special clinic day for kids w/ cepacia, but it shouldn't compromise the 'whole kid' approach to care that you generally get when you get the full clinic visits and I feel bad that the girls haven't had the benefit of seeing everyone that they had been able to see before. I hope, as in Jada's case w/ Zoe, you can arrange to have the nutritionist come in during future appts, since keeping wt up really seems to be associated with improved respiratory health.