Weight gain help

JennyCoulon

Well we went to our regular 3 month check up yesterday for Mason and Tucker. Mason continues to gain weight thanks in part to his g-button but Tucker is struggling. Tucker just turned 6 and he is 37.5 lbs. He doesn't look skinny or little to me which is what makes the talk about a possible g-button for him difficult. He is the same size if not bigger than the kids in his Kindergarten class. He didn't lose weight from his last appt. in February but he didn't gain either.
My husband and I both walked out of the office feeling like we just got beat up. We know that a g-button is probably in the future for Tucker but we aren't ready to give up. He loves to drink the Enlive Apple Juice which is 150 calories a box but they are really expensive. In the past we have bought 2 cases which is about $75 and it last about 2 1/2 weeks. I am glad that we were able to find a supplement that he likes but it tends to get really expensive really quickly. He does take the Creon enzymes so we get the help with that program which is 3 cases with every 3 month refill of the Creon.
Now I am in need of suggestions. He is a picky eater so it is very difficult to find high calorie foods like he likes. I am up for any suggestions that anyone may have about getting the extra calories. I am aware of adding the cooking oil, butter, and the Scandi products but I am just looking for something fairly easy that has showed to be pretty effective in gaining weight. I appreciate any help we could get.

JennyCoulon

Well we went to our regular 3 month check up yesterday for Mason and Tucker. Mason continues to gain weight thanks in part to his g-button but Tucker is struggling. Tucker just turned 6 and he is 37.5 lbs. He doesn't look skinny or little to me which is what makes the talk about a possible g-button for him difficult. He isthe same size if not bigger than the kids in his Kindergarten class.He didn't lose weight from his last appt. in February but he didn't gain either.
My husband and I both walked out of the office feeling like we just got beat up. We know that a g-button is probably in the future for Tucker but we aren't ready to give up. He loves to drink the Enlive Apple Juice which is 150 calories a box but they are really expensive. In the past we have bought 2 cases which is about $75 and it last about 2 1/2 weeks. I am glad that we were able to find a supplement that he likes but it tends to get really expensive really quickly. He does take the Creon enzymes so we get the help with that program which is 3 cases with every 3 month refill of the Creon.
Now I am in need of suggestions. He is a picky eater so it is very difficult to find high calorie foods like he likes. I am up for any suggestions that anyone may have about getting the extra calories. I am aware of adding the cooking oil, butter, and the Scandi products but I am just looking for something fairly easy that has showed to be pretty effective in gaining weight. I appreciate any help we could get.

JennyCoulon

<p>Well we went to our regular 3 month check up yesterday for Mason and Tucker. Mason continues to gain weight thanks in part to his g-button but Tucker is struggling. Tucker just turned 6 and he is 37.5 lbs. He doesn't look skinny or little to me which is what makes the talk about a possible g-button for him difficult. He isthe same size if not bigger than the kids in his Kindergarten class.He didn't lose weight from his last appt. in February but he didn't gain either.
<p>My husband and I both walked out of the office feeling like we just got beat up. We know that a g-button is probably in the future for Tucker but we aren't ready to give up. He loves to drink the Enlive Apple Juice which is 150 calories a box but they are really expensive. In the past we have bought 2 cases which is about $75 and it last about 2 1/2 weeks. I am glad that we were able to find a supplement that he likes but it tends to get really expensive really quickly. He does take the Creon enzymes so we get the help with that program which is 3 cases with every 3 month refill of the Creon.
<p>Now I am in need of suggestions. He is a picky eater so it is very difficult to find high calorie foods like he likes. I am up for any suggestions that anyone may have about getting the extra calories. I am aware of adding the cooking oil, butter, and the Scandi products but I am just looking for something fairly easy that has showed to be pretty effective in gaining weight. I appreciate any help we could get.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
I'm sure you've tried all this, but is he able to eat, drink dairy? We make DS carnation instant breakfast with 8 ounces of whole milk and an ounce of cream, which is what he gets for his beverage at meals. We get the powder at sam's club, as it's cheaper. DS is a picky eater, but also a snacker and his favorite is either peanuts or shelled sunflower seeds. He also likes aged cheddar and other cheeses. So I add a slice or two to his plate at meal times. We were thrilled this past winter when he discovered bacon.

I know several people swear by coconut oil -- cooking with it, adding it to smoothies.... but DS doesn't like smoothies and other than pancakes, I haven't been able to use the coconut oil much in cooking.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
I'm sure you've tried all this, but is he able to eat, drink dairy? We make DS carnation instant breakfast with 8 ounces of whole milk and an ounce of cream, which is what he gets for his beverage at meals. We get the powder at sam's club, as it's cheaper. DS is a picky eater, but also a snacker and his favorite is either peanuts or shelled sunflower seeds. He also likes aged cheddar and other cheeses. So I add a slice or two to his plate at meal times. We were thrilled this past winter when he discovered bacon.

I know several people swear by coconut oil -- cooking with it, adding it to smoothies.... but DS doesn't like smoothies and other than pancakes, I haven't been able to use the coconut oil much in cooking.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
<br />
<br />I know several people swear by coconut oil -- cooking with it, adding it to smoothies.... but DS doesn't like smoothies and other than pancakes, I haven't been able to use the coconut oil much in cooking.

mag6125

One thing you could try is see if you can get a perscription for the Enlive, maybe you're insurance would cover it that way.

mag6125

One thing you could try is see if you can get a perscription for the Enlive, maybe you're insurance would cover it that way.

mag6125

LouLou

One of my friends with a child with cf starts her dd day with a Tbsp full of peanut butter IMHO though if you can get your ds to do almond btr though this would be better. The amt of room it takes in his belly shouldn't disrupt his breakfast habit or appetite.

Sunflower butter is very nutritious too! Find a couple kinds of nuts/seeds he likes to snack on. Think outside the box, one of my son's fav's is pignoli nuts and sunflower seeds...also loves pistachios and almonds (but not Tamari or smoked almonds).

Find beef jerky without MSG - great for snackin' ...even slim jims or other high fat lunchmeat roll ups like salami, pepperoni, etc.

As a snack, I enjoyed eating a baked potatoe cold like an apple at school when I was a kid. My mom used to stuff it full of cheese + salt. Skin on! Remember to not impose your own pickiness or bad habits on a kid.

Now when I need to gain weight I enjoy trips to a local artisanal cheese shop. I've been known to eat a 1/4 lb of Gore Dawn Zola (a blue cheese from NE) in the car like a chocolate bar :)

I also add 4% cottage cheese to all yogurt I eat.

Also teach that each plate of food is like a pie cut into 1/4s - he's not to eat the high carb or low calorie stuff until he's eaten the other items (meat and oily foods first). Also no drink or soup until the plate is cleared.
When I was pregnant and not gaining weight my cf doctor taught me this logic.
He's old enough to get things like this and other concepts.

Personally I wouldn't put up with a picky eater but I know that different parents handle this differently. I think children should eat what they are given. We make Isaac try something 3-5 times on his plate before deciding he doesn't like it. Then next time he is served it again..I often try to cut it differently and use a different prep if I know it's something he hasn't liked so that maybe this time he will fancy it :) Often times after this many bites he decides he likes it! If he doesn't want to play by our rules he can leave the dinner table and go to his room with no more dinner. He knows the drill now and it really is not a fight.

Another great snack is a dried fig, prune or date with some goat cheese inside with a nut on top. It's bite size and so yummy. My husband and I had this at a very nice tapas restaurant once. Kids love tapas! It's like the original Lunchables. Think of things that can be made up in advance. You work outside the home right? so you'll need to come up with some short cuts.

Also olives are a good hi cal snack. As you can see I don't believe in hiding supplement calories into food which are largely made of carbs or hydrogenated oil. Instead I eat a high calorie, high protein, high fat diet. I don't think that processed food is very good for cfers.

LouLou

One of my friends with a child with cf starts her dd day with a Tbsp full of peanut butter IMHO though if you can get your ds to do almond btr though this would be better. The amt of room it takes in his belly shouldn't disrupt his breakfast habit or appetite.

Sunflower butter is very nutritious too! Find a couple kinds of nuts/seeds he likes to snack on. Think outside the box, one of my son's fav's is pignoli nuts and sunflower seeds...also loves pistachios and almonds (but not Tamari or smoked almonds).

Find beef jerky without MSG - great for snackin' ...even slim jims or other high fat lunchmeat roll ups like salami, pepperoni, etc.

As a snack, I enjoyed eating a baked potatoe cold like an apple at school when I was a kid. My mom used to stuff it full of cheese + salt. Skin on! Remember to not impose your own pickiness or bad habits on a kid.

Now when I need to gain weight I enjoy trips to a local artisanal cheese shop. I've been known to eat a 1/4 lb of Gore Dawn Zola (a blue cheese from NE) in the car like a chocolate bar :)

I also add 4% cottage cheese to all yogurt I eat.

Also teach that each plate of food is like a pie cut into 1/4s - he's not to eat the high carb or low calorie stuff until he's eaten the other items (meat and oily foods first). Also no drink or soup until the plate is cleared.
When I was pregnant and not gaining weight my cf doctor taught me this logic.
He's old enough to get things like this and other concepts.

Personally I wouldn't put up with a picky eater but I know that different parents handle this differently. I think children should eat what they are given. We make Isaac try something 3-5 times on his plate before deciding he doesn't like it. Then next time he is served it again..I often try to cut it differently and use a different prep if I know it's something he hasn't liked so that maybe this time he will fancy it :) Often times after this many bites he decides he likes it! If he doesn't want to play by our rules he can leave the dinner table and go to his room with no more dinner. He knows the drill now and it really is not a fight.

Another great snack is a dried fig, prune or date with some goat cheese inside with a nut on top. It's bite size and so yummy. My husband and I had this at a very nice tapas restaurant once. Kids love tapas! It's like the original Lunchables. Think of things that can be made up in advance. You work outside the home right? so you'll need to come up with some short cuts.

Also olives are a good hi cal snack. As you can see I don't believe in hiding supplement calories into food which are largely made of carbs or hydrogenated oil. Instead I eat a high calorie, high protein, high fat diet. I don't think that processed food is very good for cfers.

LouLou

<br />
<br />Sunflower butter is very nutritious too! Find a couple kinds of nuts/seeds he likes to snack on. Think outside the box, one of my son's fav's is pignoli nuts and sunflower seeds...also loves pistachios and almonds (but not Tamari or smoked almonds).
<br />
<br />Find beef jerky without MSG - great for snackin' ...even slim jims or other high fat lunchmeat roll ups like salami, pepperoni, etc.
<br />
<br />As a snack, I enjoyed eating a baked potatoe cold like an apple at school when I was a kid. My mom used to stuff it full of cheese + salt. Skin on! Remember to not impose your own pickiness or bad habits on a kid.
<br />
<br />Now when I need to gain weight I enjoy trips to a local artisanal cheese shop. I've been known to eat a 1/4 lb of Gore Dawn Zola (a blue cheese from NE) in the car like a chocolate bar :)
<br />
<br />I also add 4% cottage cheese to all yogurt I eat.
<br />
<br />Also teach that each plate of food is like a pie cut into 1/4s - he's not to eat the high carb or low calorie stuff until he's eaten the other items (meat and oily foods first). Also no drink or soup until the plate is cleared.
<br />When I was pregnant and not gaining weight my cf doctor taught me this logic.
<br />He's old enough to get things like this and other concepts.
<br />
<br />Personally I wouldn't put up with a picky eater but I know that different parents handle this differently. I think children should eat what they are given. We make Isaac try something 3-5 times on his plate before deciding he doesn't like it. Then next time he is served it again..I often try to cut it differently and use a different prep if I know it's something he hasn't liked so that maybe this time he will fancy it :) Often times after this many bites he decides he likes it! If he doesn't want to play by our rules he can leave the dinner table and go to his room with no more dinner. He knows the drill now and it really is not a fight.
<br />
<br />Another great snack is a dried fig, prune or date with some goat cheese inside with a nut on top. It's bite size and so yummy. My husband and I had this at a very nice tapas restaurant once. Kids love tapas! It's like the original Lunchables. Think of things that can be made up in advance. You work outside the home right? so you'll need to come up with some short cuts.
<br />
<br />Also olives are a good hi cal snack. As you can see I don't believe in hiding supplement calories into food which are largely made of carbs or hydrogenated oil. Instead I eat a high calorie, high protein, high fat diet. I don't think that processed food is very good for cfers.

LouLou

Bacon is a great suggestion Liza! It can be kept pre-cooked in the fridge and added as crumbles to everything!! Personally I would avoid regular bacon though and stick to the no nitrates as there is a link to lung damage and nitrates. Remember bacon can be freezed and takes up very little room so watch for the Boar's Head or Nature's Promise (S&S store organic brand) to go on sale.

LouLou

Bacon is a great suggestion Liza! It can be kept pre-cooked in the fridge and added as crumbles to everything!! Personally I would avoid regular bacon though and stick to the no nitrates as there is a link to lung damage and nitrates. Remember bacon can be freezed and takes up very little room so watch for the Boar's Head or Nature's Promise (S&S store organic brand) to go on sale.

LouLou

Rebjane

Super Moderator
Nutella hazelnut spread. YUM. My daughter loves to dip pretzels, carrots, apples, eat it straight off the spoon. It's a little different than peanut butter.

Rebjane

Super Moderator
Nutella hazelnut spread. YUM. My daughter loves to dip pretzels, carrots, apples, eat it straight off the spoon. It's a little different than peanut butter.

Rebjane

Super Moderator

dragonlady

My daughter is getting tired of Scandishakes for the minute so we are trying to find alternatives.  Plus she's a very picky eater.

For breakfast she's been eating a bacon egg and cheese sandwhich.
4-6 pieces of bacon
2 scrambled eggs mixed with some cream or whole milk/ one slice of cheese crumbled and mixed in.
2 tbs of butter to fry the eggs
2 slices of toast with butter
It's a big sandwhich but she eats ever bit of it.  She's also been eating sausage biscuts and gravy.  Fried dumplings with fried rice.  Beef stroganoff made with heavy cream.  Butter chicken.  Loaded baked potatoes.  Fried tatar tots with melted cheese, bacon pieces and ranch dressing.

That's all I can think of right now but there's more, let me get back to you if I remember anymore.

dragonlady

My daughter is getting tired of Scandishakes for the minute so we are trying to find alternatives. Plus she's a very picky eater.

For breakfast she's been eating a bacon egg and cheese sandwhich.
4-6 pieces of bacon
2 scrambled eggs mixed with some cream or whole milk/ one slice of cheese crumbled and mixed in.
2 tbs of butter to fry the eggs
2 slices of toast with butter
It's a big sandwhich but she eats ever bit of it. She's also been eating sausage biscuts and gravy. Fried dumplings with fried rice. Beef stroganoff made with heavy cream. Butter chicken. Loaded baked potatoes. Fried tatar tots with melted cheese, bacon pieces and ranch dressing.

That's all I can think of right now but there's more, let me get back to you if I remember anymore.