Weight gain help

dragonlady

<p>My daughter is getting tired of Scandishakes for the minute so we are trying to find alternatives. Plus she's a very picky eater.
<p>
<p>For breakfast she's been eating a bacon egg and cheese sandwhich.
<p>4-6 pieces of bacon
<p>2 scrambled eggs mixed with some cream or whole milk/ one slice of cheese crumbled and mixed in.
<p>2 tbs of butter to fry the eggs
<p>2 slices of toast with butter
<p>It's a big sandwhich but she eats ever bit of it. She's also been eating sausage biscuts and gravy. Fried dumplings with fried rice. Beef stroganoff made with heavy cream. Butter chicken. Loaded baked potatoes. Fried tatar tots with melted cheese, bacon pieces and ranch dressing.
<p>
<p>That's all I can think of right now but there's more, let me get back to you if I remember anymore.

Mistyjo

My daughter has a terrible time gaining weight and the last GI clinic we were at put her on periactin twice a day. It's a antihistamine. I don't know if he can take it but it helped her gain some weight. We took her off after she went thru bowel management hoping that with an empty colon she would eat more and gain on her on but so far it's not working out that way. She's lost 2lbs in 2 months since she's been off of it. I would at least ask about it.

Mistyjo

My daughter has a terrible time gaining weight and the last GI clinic we were at put her on periactin twice a day. It's a antihistamine. I don't know if he can take it but it helped her gain some weight. We took her off after she went thru bowel management hoping that with an empty colon she would eat more and gain on her on but so far it's not working out that way. She's lost 2lbs in 2 months since she's been off of it. I would at least ask about it.

Mistyjo

kitomd21

We use Pediasure 1.5 (350cal/8oz) and add toddler formula (2 scoops = 80 cal - I wonder if Carnation Instant is equivalent calorie wise?) and Duocal (2 scoops = 50 cal) for a total of 510 cals per drink. If eating yogurt, we add whipping cream (50 cal/tbs). We don't add oil as the consistency is enough to make me nauseous just looking at it. Coconut oil didn't work for us. Too oily plus DD doesn't like the flavor. Overall, I think adding whipping cream, using Pediasure 1.5, and Duocal are our biggest help in adding calories. She's also had improved weight gain with Zenpep and adding Miralax to her liquids. Miralax allows improved emptying of the intestines, thus improved appetite.

kitomd21

We use Pediasure 1.5 (350cal/8oz) and add toddler formula (2 scoops = 80 cal - I wonder if Carnation Instant is equivalent calorie wise?) and Duocal (2 scoops = 50 cal) for a total of 510 cals per drink. If eating yogurt, we add whipping cream (50 cal/tbs). We don't add oil as the consistency is enough to make me nauseous just looking at it. Coconut oil didn't work for us. Too oily plus DD doesn't like the flavor. Overall, I think adding whipping cream, using Pediasure 1.5, and Duocal are our biggest help in adding calories. She's also had improved weight gain with Zenpep and adding Miralax to her liquids. Miralax allows improved emptying of the intestines, thus improved appetite.

kitomd21

schmj4910

We've also had a hard time getting our son to eat. He's not really a picky eater, he just has no appetite. We've been using Pediasure 1.5, which he likes. We also use Duocal (2 scoops in 4 oz of YoBaby yogurt). We had to start using Cyproheptadine, which is an antihistamine, but increases appetite. That has worked pretty well. We also had to get the g-tube, which has done wonders!

Our son likes sausage links, which are very high calorie and easy. I buy the microwave kind and just make enough for him to eat (I don't need the extra calories!). You could also add maple syrup to the sausage links.

In our situation (and maybe yours, too), our son was just not eating enough to gain weight. It didn't matter how many calories the food had, he wouldn't eat enough of it. I would suggest trying the Cyproheptadine first. It is a prescription. Start out slowly, like one dose a day. You can always increase it later, if needed. It does have some negative effects like drowsiness. When we first started on it, we were told to give it three times a day. Our son was like a zombie...a food-devouring zombie, but he wasn't smiley anymore, so we had to cut it down. Now we are at two times a day, which is much better.

schmj4910

We've also had a hard time getting our son to eat. He's not really a picky eater, he just has no appetite. We've been using Pediasure 1.5, which he likes. We also use Duocal (2 scoops in 4 oz of YoBaby yogurt). We had to start using Cyproheptadine, which is an antihistamine, but increases appetite. That has worked pretty well. We also had to get the g-tube, which has done wonders!

Our son likes sausage links, which are very high calorie and easy. I buy the microwave kind and just make enough for him to eat (I don't need the extra calories!). You could also add maple syrup to the sausage links.

In our situation (and maybe yours, too), our son was just not eating enough to gain weight. It didn't matter how many calories the food had, he wouldn't eat enough of it. I would suggest trying the Cyproheptadine first. It is a prescription. Start out slowly, like one dose a day. You can always increase it later, if needed. It does have some negative effects like drowsiness. When we first started on it, we were told to give it three times a day. Our son was like a zombie...a food-devouring zombie, but he wasn't smiley anymore, so we had to cut it down. Now we are at two times a day, which is much better.

schmj4910

<br />
<br />Our son likes sausage links, which are very high calorie and easy. I buy the microwave kind and just make enough for him to eat (I don't need the extra calories!). You could also add maple syrup to the sausage links.
<br />
<br />In our situation (and maybe yours, too), our son was just not eating enough to gain weight. It didn't matter how many calories the food had, he wouldn't eat enough of it. I would suggest trying the Cyproheptadine first. It is a prescription. Start out slowly, like one dose a day. You can always increase it later, if needed. It does have some negative effects like drowsiness. When we first started on it, we were told to give it three times a day. Our son was like a zombie...a food-devouring zombie, but he wasn't smiley anymore, so we had to cut it down. Now we are at two times a day, which is much better.
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />

LisaGreene

ps sorry for no spaces in my prior post making it hard to read. Does anyone know why I can't get spaces in between my paragraphs anymore? I typed it with LOTS of spaces.

LisaGreene

ps sorry for no spaces in my prior post making it hard to read. Does anyone know why I can't get spaces in between my paragraphs anymore? I typed it with LOTS of spaces.

LisaGreene

LisaGreene

I see that my original long post is GONE and I am so bummed. Plus, this will probably post all in one big paragraph so I apologize (even though I am typing it with spaces).

So to recap it:

1. Try Carnation Instant Breakfast Very high calorie shakes- around 550 calories each; our kids love it, better than pediasure.

2. Try creative ideas to encourage picky eaters. Here are a bunch of ideas on my website at www.TipsForCFParents.com under "Food Issues" and "Tips for Motivating Picky Eaters." Link: http://www.happyheartfamilies.citymax.com/articles/article/6986084/131155.htm

3. Look into sinus issues. Our kids always lose their appetites when they have sinus issues (very common with CF). They can't taste or smell so food is not appetizing. My son said after surgery :"Wow! I can't believe how good food tastes now!" CT scans are the only way to figure it out. I would request one for your son to at least rule it out.

Hang in there- this is so hard. Try the ideas I mention in my article because at least you'll be able to rule out picky eating from a psychological standpoint. And try the other ideas here for adding fats, etc. (Our kids LOVE bacon). And keep a log of all the things you are trying. That way at your next clinic visit, they can't beat you up about it and will hopefully focus on other solutions.

Hugs!!

LisaGreene

I see that my original long post is GONE and I am so bummed. Plus, this will probably post all in one big paragraph so I apologize (even though I am typing it with spaces).

So to recap it:

1. Try Carnation Instant Breakfast Very high calorie shakes- around 550 calories each; our kids love it, better than pediasure.

2. Try creative ideas to encourage picky eaters. Here are a bunch of ideas on my website at www.TipsForCFParents.com under "Food Issues" and "Tips for Motivating Picky Eaters." Link: http://www.happyheartfamilies.citymax.com/articles/article/6986084/131155.htm

3. Look into sinus issues. Our kids always lose their appetites when they have sinus issues (very common with CF). They can't taste or smell so food is not appetizing. My son said after surgery :"Wow! I can't believe how good food tastes now!" CT scans are the only way to figure it out. I would request one for your son to at least rule it out.

Hang in there- this is so hard. Try the ideas I mention in my article because at least you'll be able to rule out picky eating from a psychological standpoint. And try the other ideas here for adding fats, etc. (Our kids LOVE bacon). And keep a log of all the things you are trying. That way at your next clinic visit, they can't beat you up about it and will hopefully focus on other solutions.

Hugs!!

LisaGreene

So to recap it:

Hugs!!

JennyCoulon

Thanks for replies so far. Tucker has an appetite but he seems to eat and eat and doesn't gain. His enzymes are working and he is sure to take them everytime he eats. I tried the Pedi-Sure just the other day and he doesn't like it what so ever. After smelling it I can't say I blame him.
I did get some heavy whipping creme to put in his mac and cheese. I also bought Nutella which I am waiting for both Tucker and his brother to try. The foods he likes do not tend to have a lot of calories in them. He loves Chocolate Pop-tarts and candy bars but he needs the nutrients. We have started calorie counting to see where we are and where we need to step it up. He plays soccer which just finished but we into summer so he will be running around outside and sweating because of the heat.
Like my husband and I have talked about it is a catch 22. We want them both to be in sports and active for their lungs but in turn it doesn't help with weight gain. I think I would much rather have Tucker stay active and his lungs healthy and get a g-button than to take him out of sports so he doesn't burn the calories. Thanks for the suggestions.

JennyCoulon

Thanks for replies so far. Tucker has an appetite but he seems to eat and eat and doesn't gain. His enzymes are working and he is sure to take them everytime he eats. I tried the Pedi-Sure just the other day and he doesn't like it what so ever. After smelling it I can't say I blame him.
I did get some heavy whipping creme to put in his mac and cheese. I also bought Nutella which I am waiting for both Tucker and his brother to try. The foods he likes do not tend to have a lot of calories in them. He loves Chocolate Pop-tarts and candy bars but he needs the nutrients. We have started calorie counting to see where we are and where we need to step it up. He plays soccer which just finished but we into summer so he will be running around outside and sweating because of the heat.
Like my husband and I have talked about it is a catch 22. We want them both to be in sports and active for their lungs but in turn it doesn't help with weight gain. I think I would much rather have Tucker stay active and his lungs healthy and get a g-button than to take him out of sports so he doesn't burn the calories. Thanks for the suggestions.

JennyCoulon

<p>Thanks for replies so far. Tucker has an appetite but he seems to eat and eat and doesn't gain. His enzymes are working and he is sure to take them everytime he eats. I tried the Pedi-Sure just the other day and he doesn't like it what so ever. After smelling it I can't say I blame him.
<p>I did get some heavy whipping creme to put in his mac and cheese. I also bought Nutella which I am waiting for both Tucker and his brother to try. The foods he likes do not tend to have a lot of calories in them. He loves Chocolate Pop-tarts and candy bars but he needs the nutrients. We have started calorie counting to see where we are and where we need to step it up. He plays soccer which just finished but we into summer so he will be running around outside and sweating because of the heat.
<p>Like my husband and I have talked about it is a catch 22. We want them both to be in sports and active for their lungs but in turn it doesn't help with weight gain. I think I would much rather have Tucker stay active and his lungs healthy and get a g-button than to take him out of sports so he doesn't burn the calories. Thanks for the suggestions.