what are the best foods to eat with CF, that won't aggrivate the GI issues that come along with this???

tinydancer0417

what are the best foods to eat with CF, that won't aggrivate the GI issues that come along with this???

Trying to get my husband to eat, but it seems that everything is aggrivating his stomach. He needs to gain weight badly and be hydrated, but water makes him nauseated. Any help with this would be appreciated.

tinydancer0417

Trying to get my husband to eat, but it seems that everything is aggrivating his stomach. He needs to gain weight badly and be hydrated, but water makes him nauseated. Any help with this would be appreciated.

tinydancer0417

tinydancer0417

tinydancer0417

65roses

Is he on any antacids such as prevacid, protonix? This really seemed to help me. I have a G-tube now, but prior to, my protonix always seemed to "ease" my stomach. Also, there's a prescription called Bentyl. It is an antispasmatic, by prescription only, it really helped me when the cramping was bad. -- ask your cf doc.

Can he tolerate milk, ensure or boosts? These always worked great with me too. I can never do water either, I do drink a lot of Sprite and teas, especially chamomille and lemon with honey. Gatorade is great for cfers too, with the extra electrolytes. I also do lots of grape juice, blueberry and pomegranate, helps with the antioxidants.

Have you talked to his doc regarding this?...may need testing to see if everything is functioning correctly. So many of our cf symptoms have a cause behind it.

65roses

Is he on any antacids such as prevacid, protonix? This really seemed to help me. I have a G-tube now, but prior to, my protonix always seemed to "ease" my stomach. Also, there's a prescription called Bentyl. It is an antispasmatic, by prescription only, it really helped me when the cramping was bad. -- ask your cf doc.

Can he tolerate milk, ensure or boosts? These always worked great with me too. I can never do water either, I do drink a lot of Sprite and teas, especially chamomille and lemon with honey. Gatorade is great for cfers too, with the extra electrolytes. I also do lots of grape juice, blueberry and pomegranate, helps with the antioxidants.

Have you talked to his doc regarding this?...may need testing to see if everything is functioning correctly. So many of our cf symptoms have a cause behind it.

65roses

65roses

65roses

<br />
<br />Can he tolerate milk, ensure or boosts? These always worked great with me too. I can never do water either, I do drink a lot of Sprite and teas, especially chamomille and lemon with honey. Gatorade is great for cfers too, with the extra electrolytes. I also do lots of grape juice, blueberry and pomegranate, helps with the antioxidants.
<br />
<br />Have you talked to his doc regarding this?...may need testing to see if everything is functioning correctly. So many of our cf symptoms have a cause behind it.

BrigitsMom

I hardly have the experience to comment as my infant is just 6 months old and so I'm at the beginning of my learning curve. HOWEVER, I've come upon a product called Mucolyxir (salmon DNA) which I've started using with my daughter as it is an alternative way to loosen mucus in the body. I find it is effective with her. You can learn more about it if you google "Mucolyxir CF" - I came upon some forums in Australia, and found CFers who are using it and their stories. There's so many other pages of info that my research is not yet complete, but it is safe. If you find it and start using it, I found a reference which recommended not giving too much at the beginning if there is lots of mucus as it could 'drown the patient' as I recall (although I imagine that was an exaggeration, it's hard to be sure). I had not read before that there could be an issue with water - how odd that seems to me. Wonder what causes that? Good luck.

BrigitsMom

I hardly have the experience to comment as my infant is just 6 months old and so I'm at the beginning of my learning curve. HOWEVER, I've come upon a product called Mucolyxir (salmon DNA) which I've started using with my daughter as it is an alternative way to loosen mucus in the body. I find it is effective with her. You can learn more about it if you google "Mucolyxir CF" - I came upon some forums in Australia, and found CFers who are using it and their stories. There's so many other pages of info that my research is not yet complete, but it is safe. If you find it and start using it, I found a reference which recommended not giving too much at the beginning if there is lots of mucus as it could 'drown the patient' as I recall (although I imagine that was an exaggeration, it's hard to be sure). I had not read before that there could be an issue with water - how odd that seems to me. Wonder what causes that? Good luck.

BrigitsMom

BrigitsMom

BrigitsMom

BrigitsMom

Oh, I forgot the nutrition question - how does your husband tolerate grains? Have you ever tried amaranth or quinoa? Both of these are high in protein and so much better than consuming wheat products. In fact, I'm going to completely avoid mucus-forming foods for my daughter as much as possible (or at least that's my plan for now) and these include dairy, gluten, & meat (although I imagine I'll have to give her some meat).

BrigitsMom

Oh, I forgot the nutrition question - how does your husband tolerate grains? Have you ever tried amaranth or quinoa? Both of these are high in protein and so much better than consuming wheat products. In fact, I'm going to completely avoid mucus-forming foods for my daughter as much as possible (or at least that's my plan for now) and these include dairy, gluten, & meat (although I imagine I'll have to give her some meat).

BrigitsMom

BrigitsMom

BrigitsMom