WHAT DID YOU DO

Seana30

Courtney is a typical teenager! She thinks that mom and dad know nothing, and we just talk to make her life miserable.

I have been telling her to take her meds everyday. This morning I walk into the kitchen to get her some enzymes for school and BOTH BOTTLES OF ENZYMES ARE STILL SEALED CLOSED!

I don't want to have to be down her throat everyday about her medicines, but if I don't say anything she will not take any of them and now I find out even when I am telling her to take them, she's not.

Any suggestions from the adult and teenage CFers on how to handle this?

Thanks for any advice!

Seana

Seana30

Courtney is a typical teenager! She thinks that mom and dad know nothing, and we just talk to make her life miserable.

I have been telling her to take her meds everyday. This morning I walk into the kitchen to get her some enzymes for school and BOTH BOTTLES OF ENZYMES ARE STILL SEALED CLOSED!

I don't want to have to be down her throat everyday about her medicines, but if I don't say anything she will not take any of them and now I find out even when I am telling her to take them, she's not.

Thanks for any advice!

Seana

Seana30

Thanks for any advice!

Seana

JazzysMom

Does she get the usual painful, smelly results of a CFer when not taking her enzymes? I would think at some point this factor alone with be more embarrasing for her then popping a few pills around friends if that is what is preventing her. I am not the best one to ask tho. As a teen I did nothing I should have & if anything did everything I shouldnt have including drinking, smoking & drugs. I "dealt" with the poop issues as it came. I learned what to eat & when to avoid problem times etc. I wish there was an easy answer. Outside of turning into Super Bitch Mom.........Sorry!

JazzysMom

Does she get the usual painful, smelly results of a CFer when not taking her enzymes? I would think at some point this factor alone with be more embarrasing for her then popping a few pills around friends if that is what is preventing her. I am not the best one to ask tho. As a teen I did nothing I should have & if anything did everything I shouldnt have including drinking, smoking & drugs. I "dealt" with the poop issues as it came. I learned what to eat & when to avoid problem times etc. I wish there was an easy answer. Outside of turning into Super Bitch Mom.........Sorry!

JazzysMom

NoExcuses

there is a very similar thread to this on the families section if you want to check out what others are saying.

take her to the doctor and have the doc explain to her what can happen when your intestine bursts due to an intestinal bloackage. (does she know that not taking enzymes will lead to intestinal blockage???)

show her what a colastomy bag is. granted this will probably never happen to her but sometimes patients need something tangible to understand what the consequences of their actions are.

NoExcuses

there is a very similar thread to this on the families section if you want to check out what others are saying.

take her to the doctor and have the doc explain to her what can happen when your intestine bursts due to an intestinal bloackage. (does she know that not taking enzymes will lead to intestinal blockage???)

show her what a colastomy bag is. granted this will probably never happen to her but sometimes patients need something tangible to understand what the consequences of their actions are.

NoExcuses

LouLou

I was in 8th grade at age 14. My wildest, craziest times were from the summer before 8th grade until the summer after 9th. Drugs, sex, you name it. I chalk it up to the whole thing that cfers grow up fast when I hear (and saw most friends) got crazy and ridiculous in high school I was already so past that. So I don't know what to say... I felt very old and in control as does Courtney likely...especially with a sister a year older than her. Have you tried having a heart to heart with Lauren to discuss how she can have a big impact on her sis's life? Another idea is to have ground rules of 'must do' things for cf and the rest she can control. Such as she must do Vest 50% of the time, Nebs 100% and she can 'experiment' with her enzymes (NEVER ANTIBIOTICS) as long as she is maintaining weight and vitamin levels..as soon as she drops weight or vitamins then she needs to agree to be 100% compliant. You and daddy need to sit down to discuss this one and come up with your guidelines. You might even want to include her doctor in the plan. Is she having a direct relationship with her cf doctor yet? You shouldn't be answering any questions at clinic. You can't force her to do anything. This is a time when she is going to need to own up to her illness. Gentle reminders that she is taking time off her life though could help. Or if she's looking especially pasty or malnourished a certain day - tell her. Negative beauty comments coming from Mom (who always thinks her daughter is so beautiful...at least it was that way in my case) have a huge impact. Get familar with the actually percentage of life taken away with each skipped day of treatment...Dr. Warwick quoted a %age. Maybe she doesn't want to take pills out of a bottle - download a few pages of different pill organizer options. Let her pick something out that she thinks will work. I find cf care is a little like maintaining my wardrobe - sometimes I need to freshen or spice things up. Good luck and your a great mom to care.

LouLou

I was in 8th grade at age 14. My wildest, craziest times were from the summer before 8th grade until the summer after 9th. Drugs, sex, you name it. I chalk it up to the whole thing that cfers grow up fast when I hear (and saw most friends) got crazy and ridiculous in high school I was already so past that. So I don't know what to say... I felt very old and in control as does Courtney likely...especially with a sister a year older than her. Have you tried having a heart to heart with Lauren to discuss how she can have a big impact on her sis's life? Another idea is to have ground rules of 'must do' things for cf and the rest she can control. Such as she must do Vest 50% of the time, Nebs 100% and she can 'experiment' with her enzymes (NEVER ANTIBIOTICS) as long as she is maintaining weight and vitamin levels..as soon as she drops weight or vitamins then she needs to agree to be 100% compliant. You and daddy need to sit down to discuss this one and come up with your guidelines. You might even want to include her doctor in the plan. Is she having a direct relationship with her cf doctor yet? You shouldn't be answering any questions at clinic. You can't force her to do anything. This is a time when she is going to need to own up to her illness. Gentle reminders that she is taking time off her life though could help. Or if she's looking especially pasty or malnourished a certain day - tell her. Negative beauty comments coming from Mom (who always thinks her daughter is so beautiful...at least it was that way in my case) have a huge impact. Get familar with the actually percentage of life taken away with each skipped day of treatment...Dr. Warwick quoted a %age. Maybe she doesn't want to take pills out of a bottle - download a few pages of different pill organizer options. Let her pick something out that she thinks will work. I find cf care is a little like maintaining my wardrobe - sometimes I need to freshen or spice things up. Good luck and your a great mom to care.

LouLou

LouLou

funny story - 8th grade - when I'd skipped enzymes I had some really, really fowel gas one day and was letting them rip in social studies class. It got so bad in the class that the instructor evacuated the students for fear that there was a gas line break. Ha!!! LOL

LouLou

funny story - 8th grade - when I'd skipped enzymes I had some really, really fowel gas one day and was letting them rip in social studies class. It got so bad in the class that the instructor evacuated the students for fear that there was a gas line break. Ha!!! LOL

LouLou

Scarlett81

Explain to her how they'll have her lay on a table with her butt out for everyone to see, and stick a tube up it, while she's awake, to fill her with liquid and then drain it out b/c she has a blockage.
At 14-I rarely took my enzymes and had blockages. She may have to learn the hard way. But its not going to not affect her for long. Eventually she'll get a bad blockage or will start getting sustended all the time and she'll lose her nice figure. Hopefully by the time she's 18 or so she'll care enough about how her stomach looks that she'll take them. And like me-this may not show immediate effects, but after time it will have effects, even permanent ones. I didn't start to have real bowel/abdomen trouble till I was 18 or so. Try being so distended all the time that you look and feel 4 months pregnant. Not fun.

Scarlett81

Explain to her how they'll have her lay on a table with her butt out for everyone to see, and stick a tube up it, while she's awake, to fill her with liquid and then drain it out b/c she has a blockage.
At 14-I rarely took my enzymes and had blockages. She may have to learn the hard way. But its not going to not affect her for long. Eventually she'll get a bad blockage or will start getting sustended all the time and she'll lose her nice figure. Hopefully by the time she's 18 or so she'll care enough about how her stomach looks that she'll take them. And like me-this may not show immediate effects, but after time it will have effects, even permanent ones. I didn't start to have real bowel/abdomen trouble till I was 18 or so. Try being so distended all the time that you look and feel 4 months pregnant. Not fun.

Scarlett81

EnergyGal

I never rebelled with my CF. I was deathly afraid of it so I felt the fear and it drove me to take better care of myself. I would just tell her that taking her enzymes will help prevent her from getting lung and sinus infections. The more she absorbs her food the stronger her immune system will be.

Maybe you can print out articles about enzymes and therapy?
Just tell her like it is. Staying denial will cost you years and suffering that can be prevented.

edited to add: I would also say if you want to keep looking pretty you want to take care of your skin. Being healthy on the inside will make your skin glow. Mention as you get older, your body is not as strong so it is important to build a good foundation.

Maybe she does not understand CF like you think she does?

EnergyGal

I never rebelled with my CF. I was deathly afraid of it so I felt the fear and it drove me to take better care of myself. I would just tell her that taking her enzymes will help prevent her from getting lung and sinus infections. The more she absorbs her food the stronger her immune system will be.

Maybe you can print out articles about enzymes and therapy?
Just tell her like it is. Staying denial will cost you years and suffering that can be prevented.

edited to add: I would also say if you want to keep looking pretty you want to take care of your skin. Being healthy on the inside will make your skin glow. Mention as you get older, your body is not as strong so it is important to build a good foundation.

Maybe she does not understand CF like you think she does?