What do you do when it's almost over?

randomgirl

I was just curious as to what people do or have done when they know they only have like a year or so left of their life. Do you keep on living like you always have? Even if it's stressful or too busy (since stress decreases your health somewhat)? Or do you change your lifestyle somewhat so you can enjoy the end of it? Or anything in between. I was just curious. And a lot of you probably haven't been to this point obviously so what do you think you would do? (And I'm not saying that I only have about a year left or anything)

randomgirl

I was just curious as to what people do or have done when they know they only have like a year or so left of their life. Do you keep on living like you always have? Even if it's stressful or too busy (since stress decreases your health somewhat)? Or do you change your lifestyle somewhat so you can enjoy the end of it? Or anything in between. I was just curious. And a lot of you probably haven't been to this point obviously so what do you think you would do? (And I'm not saying that I only have about a year left or anything)

randomgirl

randomgirl

randomgirl

princessjdc

Well, if I got to that point I would figure that I wouldnt be able to do the things I can do now and I would be limited due to health issues so with that said I would do what I can to enjoy the life I have left. Maybe go on a few vacations to see things I havent seen before or try different things, I dont know. Maybe get things done that I havent finished yet, who knows.

princessjdc

Well, if I got to that point I would figure that I wouldnt be able to do the things I can do now and I would be limited due to health issues so with that said I would do what I can to enjoy the life I have left. Maybe go on a few vacations to see things I havent seen before or try different things, I dont know. Maybe get things done that I havent finished yet, who knows.

princessjdc

princessjdc

princessjdc

SuzyQ

When I realized, or began to suspect, I had about a year left, and I wasn't ready to die yet, I got very agressive working on the transplant angle. Boy was I glad I did, because I didn't realize how time and energy consuming it was. In other words, I was glad I started that while I still had some fight in me because by the time I really needed it, I was too tired to handle it. The rest of my life I lived as normally as possible, so as not to freak out my family. Besides, I didn't know if the transplant would work, so I didn't want to do anything too crazy.

SuzyQ

When I realized, or began to suspect, I had about a year left, and I wasn't ready to die yet, I got very agressive working on the transplant angle. Boy was I glad I did, because I didn't realize how time and energy consuming it was. In other words, I was glad I started that while I still had some fight in me because by the time I really needed it, I was too tired to handle it. The rest of my life I lived as normally as possible, so as not to freak out my family. Besides, I didn't know if the transplant would work, so I didn't want to do anything too crazy.

SuzyQ

SuzyQ

SuzyQ

greatbay

I had a really bad time back in June of 08 and was told I probably wouldn't make my daughter's wedding in Sept...well, I am still here with good and bad days. When I was given that "final journey" diagnosis...I organized my jewelry as to who gets what, updated my will, wrote my obit the way I wanted it, gathered up all my insurance (health & life) info in folder, banking info, credit card numbers for cancelling, deeds, and anything else that had my name on it and would need to be changed or informed. Then I wrote a paper out listing everything my family needed to know about our household stuff and my wishes about services (none, just an old fashioned Irish Party to celebrate my life not death). These things were all important but the most important thing I did was go out and buy blank journals for each one of my kids and grandchildren and I started to write in them. Things about me as a child, dating, marriage and some ups and downs all marriages go through, finding out about being pregnant with them and preparations for them to join the family, little stories about their childhood, both good and bad. For the grandkids I included stuff about their parents, heritage, and of course for all, a family tree and people's birthdays, anniverseries, etc. This just progressed into musings, songs I hear that remind me of them, a few good jokes, how proud I am of them for just handling life, and so on. I have kept up with these journals since and they now have 2 each and I'm working on their third...I also include pictures of some events I write about whether they are of them or from some other source. My daughter loves them and to my surprise my boys have read their first journals (they must be returned to me for safe keeping for now). Besides the organization of "stuff" (which I now keep current each month, never want to gather it all again!) the journals have been my greatest "Medicine" and mood alterer. The laughter and conversations with the kids when they bring up something out of their journals is the like a breath of fresh air to me.
Sorry this is so long but this might work for someone else who is in the "what do I do now" situation after receiving bad news. One last thought..it might also be the best medicine for yourself if you are writing one for your child with c/f...for you and their grandparents to have to remember and hear about this wonderful child.

greatbay

I had a really bad time back in June of 08 and was told I probably wouldn't make my daughter's wedding in Sept...well, I am still here with good and bad days. When I was given that "final journey" diagnosis...I organized my jewelry as to who gets what, updated my will, wrote my obit the way I wanted it, gathered up all my insurance (health & life) info in folder, banking info, credit card numbers for cancelling, deeds, and anything else that had my name on it and would need to be changed or informed. Then I wrote a paper out listing everything my family needed to know about our household stuff and my wishes about services (none, just an old fashioned Irish Party to celebrate my life not death). These things were all important but the most important thing I did was go out and buy blank journals for each one of my kids and grandchildren and I started to write in them. Things about me as a child, dating, marriage and some ups and downs all marriages go through, finding out about being pregnant with them and preparations for them to join the family, little stories about their childhood, both good and bad. For the grandkids I included stuff about their parents, heritage, and of course for all, a family tree and people's birthdays, anniverseries, etc. This just progressed into musings, songs I hear that remind me of them, a few good jokes, how proud I am of them for just handling life, and so on. I have kept up with these journals since and they now have 2 each and I'm working on their third...I also include pictures of some events I write about whether they are of them or from some other source. My daughter loves them and to my surprise my boys have read their first journals (they must be returned to me for safe keeping for now). Besides the organization of "stuff" (which I now keep current each month, never want to gather it all again!) the journals have been my greatest "Medicine" and mood alterer. The laughter and conversations with the kids when they bring up something out of their journals is the like a breath of fresh air to me.
Sorry this is so long but this might work for someone else who is in the "what do I do now" situation after receiving bad news. One last thought..it might also be the best medicine for yourself if you are writing one for your child with c/f...for you and their grandparents to have to remember and hear about this wonderful child.

greatbay

greatbay

greatbay

<br />Sorry this is so long but this might work for someone else who is in the "what do I do now" situation after receiving bad news. One last thought..it might also be the best medicine for yourself if you are writing one for your child with c/f...for you and their grandparents to have to remember and hear about this wonderful child.