What do you really think the Vertex discoveries mean for us?

rosesixtyfive

I just can't help wondering what Vertex findings might mean for my baby. I am cautiously hopeful. Can you blame me? I read about people experiencing miracles after being on Kalydeco. For them it meant an end to round upon round of antibiotics, IVs, and hospitalizations, and end to sinus surgeries and being kicked in the gut every time you try to rise above this disease. Did you read the story about how Kalydeco that works is like a "golden ticket"? I think GenH posted research stating that ddf508 research showed a 35% increase in cellular function? But what will 35% increase give a cfer? Does a person need 100% cellular function in the lungs to be healthy? I know I am asking questions about the unknown...but what do you predict? Thanks as always, rosesixtyfive, mother of Sam, ddf508, 4 years old

Nugget1

I don't know any of the answers for you but will say I too am cautiously optimistic for my 6 year old daughter,ddf508. I think we all hope for an "easier" time for our children and we are hopeful for the unknown and will all keep doing everything necessary to help make this "known".

running4life

I don't know exactly what it will mean, but I want to encourage you. I am 26 and just had my PFT at 95%. I have only been hospitalized and IVs once and since then (lung function at 57%) have been on disability and work part time. I am now working towards going back to work full time if I can maintain my health. Under doctor's orders, I am taking it slow. I live a very disciplined and structured life, but I am grateful for what I have been through. Prepare your son for a battle, but do all you can do equip him for the troubles he will undoubtedly face. I have battled a number of mental and emotional issues that aren't related to CF so my battles have all been internal, but they make me stronger. I can handle a lot.

I want a Vertex drug that works for me so I can stop doing everything I do to stay healthy (or at least lay off a bit), but I don't count on it. God equips me to take proper care of my health and strengthens me to do so. I can either slap the opportunity in the face, or go after it with all I have.

My mom was told I would be dead by now. Encourage your son to take care of himself LONG term. I probably could've done better through my college years had I thought long term. Your son can live a full life. Don't let CF define him. It may explain him, but not define him.

LittleLab4CF

Super Moderator
Kalydeco is a little like the first effective antibiotic. It is the ultimate gateway drug to a new family of drugs, genetic drugs. Vertex isn't resting on its heels, before Kalydeco saw human trials, other CF mutations were being researched and still are. The reason the third most common CFTR mutation was chosen as a target drug has a lot more to do with advancing the first true genetic drug through to human trials. As dumbfounding as this accomplishment is, G551D was about the easiest mutation to do.

Just the idea of replacing aspartic acid with guanine in human DNA sounds like science fiction. I have a fair understanding of what's going on and I marvel at the fact it is finally here. Swapping out nucleic acids is just a step to repairing deletions and so forth. As a CFTR moderator Kalydeco has the numbers as you do.

My prediction is that Vertex and others are going to be offering genetic drugs that will arrest the progress of most CF within three years. It is a matrix, Sam is young and Kalydeco has a certain trade off being 30% or so improving. I would take that improvement in a flash. Use caution by monitoring Sam's kidney and liver functions as everybody should with a fast tracked drug or protocol.

I guess my logic would be this; kalydeco will improve Sam's lungs and GI tract not to mention his head and urogenital areas. Sam is enjoying a certain level of health that can be bettered by a third, if Kalydeco can reduce the mucus factor by this much, maybe it's enough to eliminate all the infections that go with it. From what I have read, many people are seeing considerably fewer GI issues or they are less severe.

Delaying damage until the perfect genetic drug comes along sounds worth doing, the improvement in Sam's life in the meantime would pay double.

LL

occupyjapan

Vertex is really on the ball. Lumacaftor is in expediated, orphan drug phase 3 trials and will be available VERY soon and will give F508ers about 50-60% of what Kalydeco gives G551Ders (which works out to something like 10-15% restoration in chloride channel functions). The successor, VX-661, is in phase 2 trials and will give F508ers parity with Kalydeco for G551Ders (something like 20-35% restoration). Finally, Vertex is working on a 2nd generation drug, VX-983. Details are pretty sparse, but it should surpass Kalydeco-for-G551D results by a healthy margin. With VX-983 and Kalydeco therapy, we may be looking at as high as a ~50% restoration in chloride channel functions. That would be enough to make most CF patients pancreatic sufficient and vastly improve lung function in both the short- and long-term.

Just Lumacaftor and Kalydeco gives a 7-8% bump in FEV1 numbers on average.

shellbell

I too look at these developments with great anticipation and prayer. I can only imagine how hopeful you mothers with little children with CF, are. This will one day be life changing for everyone and we pray that day comes soon. The encouraging news is that even with the drugs we currently have available, you can be hopeful that your 4 yr old will live a good long life. I am 53 and teetering at an FEV1 of 59%. At this level, I can still run 3 miles every morning and live a full and healthy life. My lifestyle is structured around making time for all treatments every day but there is never a day that I feel cheated. Your son can and will have a long and wonderful life and the introduction of these new drugs will be something that he will tell his children about, one day!! Just keep him active and exercising (I think running saves my life, really!) and doing his treatments. Best to you

rmotion

Thanks for the boost. I am trying to get on this study but still hold out that there could be help on the way soon.