what do you think this is?

kmhbeauty

Hello,
so I went to NY for a family's wedding. I took the red eye out and got no sleep all night. I had a fever the next couple nights. I was freezing and put a ton of blankets on me. The day of the wedding, I had a couple beers with everyone. By the end of the night, my ankles were so swollen. I had joint pain too in some of my main joints. There was a rash on my ankles that looked like red spots. My ankles are now itching a little. The night after the wedding, I had a night sweat. I looked at the other forums and some people were talking about "Vasculitis" does my problem sound like this? I have never had this happen before. My ankles are still swollen, joint pain and fever went away. Red spots are going away but ankles are itching still. This is just so weird!

jaimers

Super Moderator
the red, itchy spots sounds like hives. do you have a gluten/wheat allergy or intolerance? my best friend has a similar reaction to what you're describing (minus fever, but feels crappy) when she eats gluten or drinks beverages that contain it.
it is possible, though to my understanding pretty rare, to get blood clots in your legs after flying (called deep vein thrombosis). if you're really worried about it maybe contact your doctor and get their thoughts.
hope it goes away soon!

kmhbeauty

Hello Jaimers,
I don't think its an allergy because im not sensitive to that kinda stuff at all. I was doing some research, and I think its an autoimmune thing. I think because I had no sleep and then I drank alcohol. This isn't a first time for me not having sleep and drinking alcohol but it seems like this time my body was pissed. I don't know just another thing to add to the CF list. I will not be taking the redeye again because I was up all night and it was over 12 hours of traveling from cali to new York. Horrible! Legs are still swollen and itchy :\

W

welshwitch

It sounds like an inflammation of some sort. Whenever I drink a couple beers (or also wine) I sometimes get a light allergic reaction. I combat it by taking some Sudafed and it really helps. Antihistamines are key. Have you tried taking a benedryl or something along those lines?

kmhbeauty

I didn't, but yesterday it was a lot better. Today it seems to be gone, thank goodness! Im ready for CF to throw its next battle at me :\ hopefully the ddf508 drug hurries because Im getting tired. And I hope it helps, Ill take any kind of help lol

RobinB29

Get checked for Celiac disease. Yes, its easy to say its not an allergy thing cause you've never been allergic to anything but the symptoms you are describing are Celiac disease and it is an autoimmune disorder. When I was diagnosed my first thought was "Well I've eaten gluten all my life- that cant be an issue for me." And I was so very wrong. They dont know what makes the body start reacting this way to gluten (which is in beer). You can eat things for years then one day start having an issue. You can ignore it, and risk colon cancer, severe nutritional deficiencies and becoming intolerant to other proteins or you can go get checked.