What Doc give for Staph?

ctalbott0609

We just went through this with Paige. They treated her with Keflex the first time, and the second time, they just let it grow. They wanted to see what it would do, and they also wanted to let it grow to keep other worse stuff away, like Mel said. We went back a month later, after the second time she cultured it, and it had actually cleared itself up. The human body is amazing, and staph can actually be more helpful, then harmful. As long as they are keeping an eye on it, I wouldn't worry.

ctalbott0609

We just went through this with Paige. They treated her with Keflex the first time, and the second time, they just let it grow. They wanted to see what it would do, and they also wanted to let it grow to keep other worse stuff away, like Mel said. We went back a month later, after the second time she cultured it, and it had actually cleared itself up. The human body is amazing, and staph can actually be more helpful, then harmful. As long as they are keeping an eye on it, I wouldn't worry.

ctalbott0609

ctalbott0609

ctalbott0609

S

sdelorenzo

My daughter has always cultured one thing - staph. My son has cultured staph and pseudomonas (since he was an infant). My daughter's cat scan and bronch show much more lung damage than my son's. I don't agree with the approach of leaving staph alone if not causing any problems. But I couldn't convince my kids dr of it. He was afraid of pseudomonas for my daughter. In my children's case, the staph is the one bacteria that caused problems for my kids. I remember telling the cf nurse when my daughter was infant that at least all she is culturing is staph. The nurse replied that all bacteria damages the lungs, even staph. I didn't like the answer but it is true.
Sharon, mom of Sophia, 8 and Jack, 6 both with cf, Grant, 8 months no cf.

S

sdelorenzo

My daughter has always cultured one thing - staph. My son has cultured staph and pseudomonas (since he was an infant). My daughter's cat scan and bronch show much more lung damage than my son's. I don't agree with the approach of leaving staph alone if not causing any problems. But I couldn't convince my kids dr of it. He was afraid of pseudomonas for my daughter. In my children's case, the staph is the one bacteria that caused problems for my kids. I remember telling the cf nurse when my daughter was infant that at least all she is culturing is staph. The nurse replied that all bacteria damages the lungs, even staph. I didn't like the answer but it is true.

S

sdelorenzo

S

sdelorenzo

S

sdelorenzo

<br />Sharon, mom of Sophia, 8 and Jack, 6 both with cf, Grant, 8 months no cf.

kitomd21

We've been informed by two doctors as two separate CF clinics that we shouldn't treat our daughter's staph. She's cultured it since two weeks of age (i.e., at diagnosis). Our doctor referenced evidence of children/individuals who have tested positive for pseudomonas at a much earlier age when staph was treated upon culturing positive. Those that weren't treated for staph unless symptomatic cultured pseudomonas at a later age. There are always exceptions, but evidence has pointed more toward the direction of leaving it alone in effort to keep other organisms at bay for as long as possible....

kitomd21

We've been informed by two doctors as two separate CF clinics that we shouldn't treat our daughter's staph. She's cultured it since two weeks of age (i.e., at diagnosis). Our doctor referenced evidence of children/individuals who have tested positive for pseudomonas at a much earlier age when staph was treated upon culturing positive. Those that weren't treated for staph unless symptomatic cultured pseudomonas at a later age. There are always exceptions, but evidence has pointed more toward the direction of leaving it alone in effort to keep other organisms at bay for as long as possible....

kitomd21

kitomd21

kitomd21