What has helped me

kmhbeauty

I just wanted to tell all my fellow cfers about the Nutribullet. It is the blender that you put fruits and veggies in, and it turns it into juice. This has helped me so much to keep my immunity up and not get sick. I put a combo of fruits, veggies, ginger, and a garlic clove in my blender. I try to juice 2-3 times a day. I have always been a health food freak but now this really helps me take my fruits and veggies with ease. Since I have been juicing, I feel so much better. I know with cf, doctors want people on a high cal diet. A lot of the food they say to eat is junk food. I am so against eating unhealthy food! Please try the nutribulet if you feel like you have tried everything and want to go the natural route. Check out the "dirty dozen list" online to see which foods you should buy organic because they have the most pesticides. I really believe that this is going to be my way of staying healthier the rest of my life and not getting sick as often. I am a anti medicine (until you really need it) all natural person. Im 27 years old, ddf508, and on no medicine besides a healthy lifestyle.

Daverog75

my bother and i have one he uses it twice a day, i haven't really used because i take three scandi shakes a day. I don't think i could handle adding to more shakes.

Dave

kmhbeauty

You could always add your shakes to the fruit and veggies and make it one big shake. I know consuming lots of shakes cane be hard but it beats getting sick. I don't like smelling like garlic all the time but it totally worth it. Garlic, raw ginger and oranges really help the immune system!

jbrandonAW

I too believe in the power of juicing. I have the Omega juicer and I make one green juice a day. I am also big on diet. We need the right amount of vitamins and minerals to heal the body. The only place you get those things from a food. I also cut out processed foods, white flours, pastas, rices. I limit my meat intake and get protien from other sources. I also switched from regular milk to almond. Im still researching and fine tweaking my diet but as I learn I post it to my blog www.insidecf.blogspot.com . Im on this new mission to heal my CF through diet, juicing, supplements, and exercise. I got so tired of being on over 36 meds a day and still feeling horrible. Meds are great when needed but I want to heal my body from the inside out.

kmhbeauty

Totally agree jbrandon! I am on the same mission!! Eating healthy helps so much. Once you cut all those bad foods from your life, you don't want them anymore. I have been on a healthy diet for 6 years now and I am about 5 lbs over weight to be in the 50%. I eat a lot of avocados, olive oil, smart balance butter, coconut frozen yogurt, walnuts, ect. I would love to see more CFers to look into this vision of a way to better health. I know most were dx at birth and most only know the doctor. I listen to the doctor but I put my health in my own hands, meaning I don't always listen. I am not going to take antibiotics when I am a little run down, wont do it! When I am run down, I sleep more, and juice more fruits and veggies high in Vit C. My next mission is to start working out. I have been at a FEV1 around 83% for a long time but the last two doctor visits, I have been at 79%. Have you noticed any health foods that help with lung function?

U

uwrong1053

I must say I just started juicing and after one day I felt a major difference in my breathing cant wait for the long term. Getting excited reading your posts because usually I'm not motivated to do anything and with this I have almost seen an instant improvement! I just hope I can stick with it!!

CyrilCrodius

There are some people here who are big on green smoothies. I recently bought a powerful Ninja blender and I have been making smoothies.

You really have to be careful about what foods you add to your shakes though. All CFers should stay away from ginger. Better safe than sorry. Ginger promotes bile production which will accelerate the nuking of your liver :
The second most common cause of death in people with cystic fibrosis is liver disease. Between 6-8% of people with CF have potentially fatal liver disease requiring liver transplantation. About 25% of people with CF over the age of four have serious issues with liver function.

What causes liver disease?

Liver disease in people with cystic fibrosis is likely caused by abnormally thick fluids in the liver. Cystic fibrosis results in decreased fluid flow, thereby increasing the concentration of bile components and contributing to the abnormal fluid thickness in the liver. Recent research has shown that a particular 'modifier gene' (a gene that is not responsible for CF, but influences the course of the disease) increases the probability of a person with CF developing liver disease.

Source : http://www.cysticfibrosis.ca/en/aboutCysticFibrosis/LiverDisease.php

Our liver has too much bile in it, which damages it and by eating ginger, you're making it produce even more bile which will nuke your liver even faster.

Kale is another food to stay away from. It's sad because it contains a lot of nice nutriment, but it also contains bile acid sequestrants, which neutralize the already little amount of bile that makes it to our intestine. You should stay away from kale especially if you have to take Ursofalk (Ursodiol, a bile acid in pill form), because bile acid sequestrants neutralize it. Use spinach instead.

Research very, very carefully any food you want to add to a regular diet.