What is Moraxella

pnhuffman

I just called and got Austins sputumn culture results. She said it was heavy growth of normal flora and heavy growth of Moraxella. So what exactly is Moraxella? Never heard of that one.

pnhuffman

I just called and got Austins sputumn culture results. She said it was heavy growth of normal flora and heavy growth of Moraxella. So what exactly is Moraxella? Never heard of that one.

pnhuffman

pnhuffman

pnhuffman

JazzysMom

Moraxella is a genus of Gram-negative bacteria in the Moraxellaceae family. The organisms are short rods, coccobacilli or, as in the case of Moraxella catarrhalis, diplococci in morphology, with asaccharolytic, oxidase-positive and catalase-positive properties.[1] Moraxella catarrhalis is the clinically most important species under this genus.

Roles in disease
The organisms are commensals of mucosal surfaces and sometimes give rise to opportunisitic infection.[1]

Moraxella catarrhalis usually resides in respiratory tract, but can gain access to the lower respiratory tract in patients with chronic chest disease or compromised host defences, thus causing tracheobronchitis and pneumonia.

It causes similar symptoms to Haemophilus influenzae, although it is much less virulent. Unlike Neisseria meningitidis, which is a morphologic cousin of Moraxella catarrhalis, it hardly ever causes bacteremia or meningitis

JazzysMom

Moraxella is a genus of Gram-negative bacteria in the Moraxellaceae family. The organisms are short rods, coccobacilli or, as in the case of Moraxella catarrhalis, diplococci in morphology, with asaccharolytic, oxidase-positive and catalase-positive properties.[1] Moraxella catarrhalis is the clinically most important species under this genus.

Roles in disease
The organisms are commensals of mucosal surfaces and sometimes give rise to opportunisitic infection.[1]

Moraxella catarrhalis usually resides in respiratory tract, but can gain access to the lower respiratory tract in patients with chronic chest disease or compromised host defences, thus causing tracheobronchitis and pneumonia.

It causes similar symptoms to Haemophilus influenzae, although it is much less virulent. Unlike Neisseria meningitidis, which is a morphologic cousin of Moraxella catarrhalis, it hardly ever causes bacteremia or meningitis

JazzysMom

Roles in disease

JazzysMom

Roles in disease

JazzysMom

<br />
<br />
<br />Roles in disease
<br />The organisms are commensals of mucosal surfaces and sometimes give rise to opportunisitic infection.[1]
<br />
<br />Moraxella catarrhalis usually resides in respiratory tract, but can gain access to the lower respiratory tract in patients with chronic chest disease or compromised host defences, thus causing tracheobronchitis and pneumonia.
<br />
<br />It causes similar symptoms to Haemophilus influenzae, although it is much less virulent. Unlike Neisseria meningitidis, which is a morphologic cousin of Moraxella catarrhalis, it hardly ever causes bacteremia or meningitis

JazzysMom

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>JazzysMom</b></i>

It causes similar symptoms to Haemophilus influenzae, although it is much less virulent. Unlike Neisseria meningitidis, which is a morphologic cousin of Moraxella catarrhalis, it hardly ever causes bacteremia or meningitis</end quote></div>

Is that better Deb??? LOL

JazzysMom

It causes similar symptoms to Haemophilus influenzae, although it is much less virulent. Unlike Neisseria meningitidis, which is a morphologic cousin of Moraxella catarrhalis, it hardly ever causes bacteremia or meningitis</end quote></div>

JazzysMom

JazzysMom

It causes similar symptoms to Haemophilus influenzae, although it is much less virulent. Unlike Neisseria meningitidis, which is a morphologic cousin of Moraxella catarrhalis, it hardly ever causes bacteremia or meningitis</end quote>

JazzysMom

<br />
<br />Moraxella catarrhalis usually resides in respiratory tract, but can gain access to the lower respiratory tract in patients with chronic chest disease or compromised host defences, thus causing tracheobronchitis and pneumonia.
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />It causes similar symptoms to Haemophilus influenzae, although it is much less virulent. Unlike Neisseria meningitidis, which is a morphologic cousin of Moraxella catarrhalis, it hardly ever causes bacteremia or meningitis</end quote>
<br />
<br />
<br />Is that better Deb??? LOL
<br />