What is STOOL FOR FECAL FAT test?

AUG19DW

The dr. office can give you a kit. Which is a plastic bucket, or hat as they call it and 2 wooden sticks and a small cup like you would pee in to put the sample in the bag they provide. the 2 wooden sticks are to pick the poop up to put it in the cup. Then you take it to the dr.'s office.

Julie7

It depends on what the dr ordered:
1. Spot test requires just one poop
2. 3 day poop test requires daily diary of food (recommend 100g fat/day)
Both tests measures amount of fat in stool but #2 is more accurate because you will record EXACTLY what your child ate and collect all poop (befire it hits water). Fór number 2, there will be a calculation that tell you how much your child is absorbing based on food intake. I also read that prior to this 3 day fecal fat test one must be a "normal" diet at about 100g fat per day ( good luck if you can manage that) to get accurate reading.
Have you asked for fecal elastase too? That's just a single easy poop sample.
If you think there is malabsorption, suggest asking for fat soluble vitamins levels, A, D, K and E (blood test) which are often low in malabsorption disorders.
Hope that helps,
Julie

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
Sweetninis,
No. Our son has never had one. I think they only do if there is a question about whether the pancreas "works." Our son has two copies of d508f. I believe your little girl does too. It would be very uncommon for a CFer with two copies of d508f to have pancreatic function, I believe. And I don't think many doctors have this test for those with that 2 of that mutation. Others might know though too.

sweetninis

my doc said she needs the fecal fat report to adjust the creon intake
any comments?
Sweetninis,
No. Our son has never had one. I think they only do if there is a question about whether the pancreas "works." Our son has two copies of d508f. I believe your little girl does too. It would be very uncommon for a CFer with two copies of d508f to have pancreatic function, I believe. And I don't think many doctors have this test for those with that 2 of that mutation. Others might know though too.

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
Sorry--just saw this. I don't see any negative for doing the test since it is not invasive, so that makes sense. Our clinic just adjusts based on stools in general, although if some issues they might consider the test. I was more thinking you thought the test might be needed, but if doctors want, again, since non-invasive and no risks, think it is a great idea. More information is always better (absent a risk).