What IS this?

Melissa75

Administrator
I am wondering if anyone has had this before and might be able to tell me what it is. I have asked my pulmonologist, but he doesn't know.

On at least three different occasions (always ending in pleurisy and bronchopneumonia), I have felt a popping or tapping-from-the-inside feeling in my chest (right middle lobe area, I think. It's about 2-3 fingers down from the underside of my boob (sorry!) and almost to on the side of my body.

It is strange and not easy to ignore--almost feels like I have another little heart in there, but the rhythm is uneven and it comes and goes throughout the day.

I had it yesterday, and thanks to all I learned here, rather than panicking, I went jogging, upped my PT, albuterol and N-acetylcistiene (man, that stuff works well, though unfortunately, not for hours). I am no sicker today--yay. But I would like to know what this is.

Any ideas?
_________
Melissa 33 yrs, bronchiectasis

Melissa75

Administrator
I am wondering if anyone has had this before and might be able to tell me what it is. I have asked my pulmonologist, but he doesn't know.

On at least three different occasions (always ending in pleurisy and bronchopneumonia), I have felt a popping or tapping-from-the-inside feeling in my chest (right middle lobe area, I think. It's about 2-3 fingers down from the underside of my boob (sorry!) and almost to on the side of my body.

It is strange and not easy to ignore--almost feels like I have another little heart in there, but the rhythm is uneven and it comes and goes throughout the day.

I had it yesterday, and thanks to all I learned here, rather than panicking, I went jogging, upped my PT, albuterol and N-acetylcistiene (man, that stuff works well, though unfortunately, not for hours). I am no sicker today--yay. But I would like to know what this is.

Any ideas?
_________

Melissa75

Administrator

Any ideas?
_________

Melissa75

Administrator

Any ideas?
_________

Melissa75

Administrator
<br />I am wondering if anyone has had this before and might be able to tell me what it is. I have asked my pulmonologist, but he doesn't know.
<br />
<br />On at least three different occasions (always ending in pleurisy and bronchopneumonia), I have felt a popping or tapping-from-the-inside feeling in my chest (right middle lobe area, I think. It's about 2-3 fingers down from the underside of my boob (sorry!) and almost to on the side of my body.
<br />
<br />It is strange and not easy to ignore--almost feels like I have another little heart in there, but the rhythm is uneven and it comes and goes throughout the day.
<br />
<br />I had it yesterday, and thanks to all I learned here, rather than panicking, I went jogging, upped my PT, albuterol and N-acetylcistiene (man, that stuff works well, though unfortunately, not for hours). I am no sicker today--yay. But I would like to know what this is.
<br />
<br />Any ideas?
<br />_________
<br />Melissa 33 yrs, bronchiectasis

jfarel

I have gotten that quite often. It is similar to pleurisy. It may not be accompanied by pain, but the feeling is really annoying. Sometimes Ibuprofen helps me. My guess is that it is just caused by some inflammation. For me, it does not mean I am getting sick. I often get that feeling after or during IV antibiotics.

jfarel

I have gotten that quite often. It is similar to pleurisy. It may not be accompanied by pain, but the feeling is really annoying. Sometimes Ibuprofen helps me. My guess is that it is just caused by some inflammation. For me, it does not mean I am getting sick. I often get that feeling after or during IV antibiotics.

jfarel

jfarel

jfarel

Diane

I had something called pleural rub once a few years ago, and i told my Dr. it felt a lot like what you describe. It was in my lower right lung /rib area. I would feel a very distinct tapping rubbing feeling with each breath in and each breath out. He listened to the area and he right away said it is a Pleural rub. Basically pleural rub is.... the pleura is inflammed and rubs against the chest wall/ ribs as you breathe. I went away on its own in a few weeks. Since i am always on oral antitbiotics he just switched the ones i was on to a new combo. I didnt use prednisone or Ibuprofen. Ibuprofen is a no-no for me since i have hemoptysis problems anyway. I just took tylenol twice a day to manage it. My Dr. also suggested pressing in the area when i cough and it would help to minimize the rubbing and tapping feeling (and pain)

Diane

I had something called pleural rub once a few years ago, and i told my Dr. it felt a lot like what you describe. It was in my lower right lung /rib area. I would feel a very distinct tapping rubbing feeling with each breath in and each breath out. He listened to the area and he right away said it is a Pleural rub. Basically pleural rub is.... the pleura is inflammed and rubs against the chest wall/ ribs as you breathe. I went away on its own in a few weeks. Since i am always on oral antitbiotics he just switched the ones i was on to a new combo. I didnt use prednisone or Ibuprofen. Ibuprofen is a no-no for me since i have hemoptysis problems anyway. I just took tylenol twice a day to manage it. My Dr. also suggested pressing in the area when i cough and it would help to minimize the rubbing and tapping feeling (and pain)

Diane

Diane

Diane