What Makes You Cough?

JennaB

Here are the main things that make me cough:

Smoke
Perfume
Strong Scented Candles
Lotion
That gel hand sanitizer stuff... I hate that.
Strong mints
Really Cold Iced Tea
Shaving Cream

This may sound weird, but I get tickles in my throat whenever someone touches my face or ears just right. Makes me cough forever. Does anyone else get this?

Jenna, 25 w/ CF

jamey

perfume, cologne, and candles dont make me really cough but they do make me have a hard time breathing, feel like i am suffocating. especially whatever it is old ladies wear.

anonymous

laughing, that is what annoys me the most about mh without condition. I can't laugh without coughing anymore.

luke

Emily65Roses

The few I hate the most? Laughing, like Luke said. I can't laugh without coughing anymore, and that really annoys me. Also, ANYONE outside who's smoking. I pass anyone ont he street and get even the tiniest bit of THEIR poison, and I'm hacking for a few minutes.

I agree about the laughing thing... it's what annoys me the most about my CF. I enjoy a good belly laugh, but I just can't do it anymore (unless I'm fresh out of the hospital). I have to actually try not to laugh. I was telling my bridesmaids (I'm getting married in May) that I think I may start laughing during my ceremony and that each one of them will have to carry something for me...one will have my inhaler, one will have some tissue for me to cough up in, one will have a glass of water, and the other one will carry everyone elses bouquets! Im really hoping I don't start coughing during that...what a scene that would be! especially if there is a microphone hooked up to me...

Also running, sex, anything physical - I always have a coughing fit.

Diane

hmmmmm, i cough every time i use my inhalers ( proventil and advair). Also when i walk for a while or during exercising. And yes every time i laugh, especially if it is a real good laugh, but it also gets me to bring stuff up and thats never a bad thing.
~Diane 40 / cf / diabetes / b.cepacia

Mockingbird

Laughing definetely! I hate that. Taking a shower is the worst, though. Every time I come out of the shower I ache all over from coughing so much. It's a really terrible way to start the day. Also, when I eat a lot, I tend to cough, but those are usually good coughs because they bring a lot of stuff up. Oh, and also cold air makes me cough, especially if I'm walking around in it.

Jarod
22 w/cf

anonymous

My son, who is 11 with CF, coughs whenever he drinks something really cold. He LOVES icy drinks, like slurpees. He always wants to get them, but knows he almost always has a big coughing fit when he drinks it. Now when he really wants one he will say, "Can I please get one, I promise I will throw it out if I start to cough." It breaks my heart, so I usually give in, and he usually ends up throwing it out halfway through because the coughing starts! Does anyone else have a problem with icy drinks?

Caren

anonymous

Caren, my ds has problems with cold drinks too. Especially milk shakes, popsicles, slushes but sometimes even just really cold drinks. He's 6-1/2. When he's doing relatively well, he can tolerate them with minimal or no coughing but anytime he's coughing more than usual, I know they'll be a problem. He's also really prone to croup (not sure why??) What I really hate is in the hospital, when they get the croup cough under control, they want to give the kids popsicles to help with the swelling in the throat but it's always guaranteed to make him cough MORE. Glad to know he's not the only one... He also has trouble with really cold air.

anonymous

Let the kids drink the cold stuff. It gives them pleasure. I am 24 and I cough like crazy with ice cream, ice, anything really cold. What helps me is I keep a bottle of water, room tempurature, and take a drink of that while I am indulging. It helps, you should try it. Or just along with whatever they get, order a glass or cup of water with no ice.

JohnnaMarie

1. Smoke of any sort makes me cough......especially cigarette smoke YUCK! The smell of the smoke when it is on peoples clothes that smoke makes me cough too...
2. Cold air
3. Chemicals like Bleach
4. Climbing Stairs
5. Air Neutralizer air fresheners
6. Basements with mold or mildew
7. Dust
8. Dry Air
9. Strong old lady perfume (that one is super popular...what do they wear? It should be banned!)
10. Guys that bathe in their Cologne

anonymous

<blockquote>Quote<br><hr><i>Originally posted by: <b>JohnnaMarie</b></i><br>
10. Guys that bathe in their Cologne<hr></blockquote>

I hate that! They don't even have to be in the same room, and you can still smell them! And the smell stays for over a week! Ugh, I think there should be an anticologne spray that neutralizes the smell or something. Ha, Ha! I'd go around all day sraying people! =-) Or maybe just carry around a really big water gun, so anyone who has too much can get hosed down! =-)

Jarod
22 w/cf

Jo20784

laughin to much
strong perfume
ice cream ,milk milkshakes
smoke
goin upstairs
cleanin stuff like bleach

thses things drive me crazy wit all the coughin lol

Magerly111

Hmm, laughing, smoke, smoke smell, the vest lol, running....not too much actually. Those things can make a lot of people cough.

RoxyChick2381

The stuff that makes me cough is being to hot or ciggarate smoke or smoke from fires or laughing. Does anyone else ever get to hot and start coughing?