What point to worry?

BarbaraW

<P>Jack is 5 1/2, weighs 33 pounds, and is dx with CRMS. He started camp today, which is 3 hours. They go in and out of the school, in and out of the pools, have water/popsicles breaks. It was about 72 this am, and sunny.</P>
<P> </P>
<P>I weighed him last night, and he was 33.2 pounds. He felt light to me and was acting off, so I weighed him again this am after camp, and he was down to 29.4. Same scale, clothed today, but not last night. This was after drinking 18 ounces of juice/gatorade after getting home. Right now he is just lying on the couch.</P>
<P> </P>
<P>So, obviously he is dry. We were going to go to the beach but are staying home this pm. I will see what happens tomorrow, but at what point do I worry that camp is too much for him? Anyone else have kids who seem to dry out very quickly? Any advice?</P>

BarbaraW

<P>Jack is 5 1/2, weighs 33 pounds, and is dx with CRMS. He started camp today, which is 3 hours. They go in and out of the school, in and out of the pools, have water/popsicles breaks. It was about 72 this am, and sunny.</P>
<P></P>
<P>I weighed him last night, and he was 33.2 pounds.He felt light to me and was acting off, so I weighed him again this am after camp, and he was down to 29.4. Same scale, clothed today, but not last night. This was after drinking 18 ounces of juice/gatorade after getting home. Right now he is just lying on the couch.</P>
<P></P>
<P>So, obviously he is dry. We were going to go to the beach but are staying home this pm. I will see what happens tomorrow, but at what point do I worry that camp is too much for him? Anyone else have kids who seem to dry out very quickly? Any advice?</P>

BarbaraW

<P><BR>Jack is 5 1/2, weighs 33 pounds, and is dx with CRMS. He started camp today, which is 3 hours. They go in and out of the school, in and out of the pools, have water/popsicles breaks. It was about 72 this am, and sunny.</P>
<P></P>
<P>I weighed him last night, and he was 33.2 pounds.He felt light to me and was acting off, so I weighed him again this am after camp, and he was down to 29.4. Same scale, clothed today, but not last night. This was after drinking 18 ounces of juice/gatorade after getting home. Right now he is just lying on the couch.</P>
<P></P>

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
DS sweats out so much salt he gets salt crystals in his hair and his baseball caps turn white. A few weeks ago there were actual white splatters on the back of his navy colored t-shirt from sweat.

DS goes to daycare and they're outside most of the day -- activities, walks, sports, swimming, playground. He's always had his own water bottle AND salt shaker. When he was younger he needed to be reminded to drink and they'd give him saltine crackers or pretzels, but now that he's older he takes hits off his salt shaker. The daycare director still keeps an eye on him.

When I pick him up, I have juice or gatorade in the car along with a snack. IMO, visit with the camp director and explain that your child probably needs gatorade, extra salt with meals, salty snacks which you can provide... So he can continue to be active and have a good time. For us the salt shaker is the easiest because that's what he'll do at home.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
DS sweats out so much salt he gets salt crystals in his hair and his baseball caps turn white. A few weeks ago there were actual white splatters on the back of his navy colored t-shirt from sweat.

DS goes to daycare and they're outside most of the day -- activities, walks, sports, swimming, playground. He's always had his own water bottle AND salt shaker. When he was younger he needed to be reminded to drink and they'd give him saltine crackers or pretzels, but now that he's older he takes hits off his salt shaker. The daycare director still keeps an eye on him.

When I pick him up, I have juice or gatorade in the car along with a snack. IMO, visit with the camp director and explain that your child probably needs gatorade, extra salt with meals, salty snacks which you can provide... So he can continue to be active and have a good time. For us the salt shaker is the easiest because that's what he'll do at home.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
<br />
<br />DS goes to daycare and they're outside most of the day -- activities, walks, sports, swimming, playground. He's always had his own water bottle AND salt shaker. When he was younger he needed to be reminded to drink and they'd give him saltine crackers or pretzels, but now that he's older he takes hits off his salt shaker. The daycare director still keeps an eye on him.
<br />
<br />When I pick him up, I have juice or gatorade in the car along with a snack. IMO, visit with the camp director and explain that your child probably needs gatorade, extra salt with meals, salty snacks which you can provide... So he can continue to be active and have a good time. For us the salt shaker is the easiest because that's what he'll do at home.

cf4life

Don't deny him the fun camp, its great exercise for his lungs. Just supplement with high sodium foods and lots of fluids. Gatorade (low sugar if cfrd) and v8 juice are good. If he will drink it add some salt to his water. I sort of crave v8 juice and pretzels as a snack after I come in from a sweaty activity. That is what I like to have along with extra water.

cf4life

Don't deny him the fun camp, its great exercise for his lungs. Just supplement with high sodium foods and lots of fluids. Gatorade (low sugar if cfrd) and v8 juice are good. If he will drink it add some salt to his water. I sort of crave v8 juice and pretzels as a snack after I come in from a sweaty activity. That is what I like to have along with extra water.

cf4life

LouLou

Why not pick up some salt tablets. Also I've heard of salting gatorade. I don't believe there is any reason your son should be able to participate. If he's used to always playing inside there will be an adjustment but it shoudn't be harmful for him to enjoy some time back to basics in nature :)

LouLou

Why not pick up some salt tablets. Also I've heard of salting gatorade. I don't believe there is any reason your son should be able to participate. If he's used to always playing inside there will be an adjustment but it shoudn't be harmful for him to enjoy some time back to basics in nature :)

LouLou

ehtansky21

so far, this has been an awesome product for my boys. I give them a 1/4 of a tablet and give them more if they seem to need it. They do have to drink lots of water with them though.

http://www.amazon.com/Thermotabs-Salt-Supplement-Buffered-Tablets/dp/B00143XNRE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1309207671&sr=8-1

blessings,
missa

ehtansky21

so far, this has been an awesome product for my boys. I give them a 1/4 of a tablet and give them more if they seem to need it. They do have to drink lots of water with them though.

http://www.amazon.com/Thermotabs-Salt-Supplement-Buffered-Tablets/dp/B00143XNRE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1309207671&sr=8-1

blessings,
missa

ehtansky21

<br />
<br />http://www.amazon.com/Thermotabs-Salt-Supplement-Buffered-Tablets/dp/B00143XNRE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1309207671&sr=8-1
<br />
<br />blessings,
<br />missa

BarbaraW

Thanks guys. I will def. try the salt, and I am bringing extra gatorade for him tomorrow. He plays outside a lot, but it has not been very warm yet. This was the first nice day in a long time, so I think his body just needs to do a little adjusting.

BarbaraW

Thanks guys. I will def. try the salt, and I am bringing extra gatorade for him tomorrow. He plays outside a lot, but it has not been very warm yet. This was the first nice day in a long time, so I think his body just needs to do a little adjusting.

BarbaraW

<BR>Thanks guys. I will def. try the salt, and I am bringing extra gatorade for him tomorrow. He plays outside a lot, but it has not been very warm yet. This was the first nice day in a long time, so I think his body just needs to do a little adjusting.

kirstynkoffs

I was always aware cf'ers needed more salt however until i started at my current clinic i wasnt aware just HOW
much. The australian guidelines for adults are between 4000-6000 mg daily, higher with excessive heat or excersion. Though im not sure what this translates to for children, it may be higher than you are thinking? A gatorade only has between 200-300mg (depending on type) here, though there is a new one with 600mg. As im sure im repeating, without adequate salt cfers will not absorb fluid so they can drink as much as they like but without salt wont hydrate. Apologies if you know all this already but it is something i didnt fully acknowledge until it was pointed out recently so im sure others are in the same boat! For me low sodium equates to body aches. Cramps and thick sticky gunk which eventually gives me a chest infection. Good luck!!!

kirstynkoffs

I was always aware cf'ers needed more salt however until i started at my current clinic i wasnt aware just HOW
much. The australian guidelines for adults are between 4000-6000 mg daily, higher with excessive heat or excersion. Though im not sure what this translates to for children, it may be higher than you are thinking? A gatorade only has between 200-300mg (depending on type) here, though there is a new one with 600mg. As im sure im repeating, without adequate salt cfers will not absorb fluid so they can drink as much as they like but without salt wont hydrate. Apologies if you know all this already but it is something i didnt fully acknowledge until it was pointed out recently so im sure others are in the same boat! For me low sodium equates to body aches. Cramps and thick sticky gunk which eventually gives me a chest infection. Good luck!!!