What to do with life and CF, Please Help!!

baco623

I feel like I am having some sort of mid twenties life crisis and I could really use some help. I am 26 years old and I am about to graduate college in May with a degree in Anthropology (which I have learned a little to late is basically a completely useless degree). Originally I wanted to go into teaching and teach high school history however after volunteering in a high school for a while I think I have come to the conclusion that I don't have the physical stamina to keep up with the riggers of being a teacher. Between teaching for 8 hours a day, coming home, grading papers and writing a curriculum I don't think I'd be able to do it and take proper care of myself. So now what do I do?

One of the most important things in having CF is making sure I have a job that has good insurance that can cover everything. However I don't want to get a job just to have a job, I want a career that I can be happy with and will fulfill me. I want to be able to make a difference and give back. Currently I am on my parents insurance and Medicare through state disability, however once I graduate I will get off my parents insurance and only be on Medicare. I am going to get a part time job so I can have some additional income but I'm still trying to figure out what to do with my life.

One thing I have been considering is going to vet tech school. I have always loved animals, the program isn't very long, I can still keep a part time job and go to school and keep insurance and take care of myself. The problem is I had a double lung transplant 2 1/2 years ago and I am not allowed to be around birds or clean out cat litter boxes but I think if I wear a mask and take all necessary contact procausions I should be okay.

Lately it seems as if I have been surrounded by people who are just telling me everything I CAN'T do because I have CF and CFRD and a double lung transplant. I am sick of hearing everything I can't do. What is the point of being alive if you are so restricted by a disease you are constantly fighting. I am keeping myself alive to live not to be restrained. If anyone could give me some advice or guidence on these matters I would greatly appreciate it. Please Help!!!

26 F w/CF/CFRD/Double Lung Transplant on 9/3/2010

running4life

At first, I thought I wrote this post. I don't have any advice for you, but know you aren't alone. I just turned 26 too and graduated 4 years ago with a Business Admin degree. (Also very useless). I worked in a church for 3-4 years as a Children's minister but now work 2-3 days as a nanny and have for about the past year. I am working to get on disability since I can't work full time and take proper care of myself. All I can say is, keep taking care of yourself and everything will fall into place. I trust that God has a plan for me and so I keep taking it day by day and doing what I need to do for myself. Hang in there, you aren't alone.

W

welshwitch

Go talk to a career counselor!!! Seriously. I did and it was the best. Especially to your statement, "I don't want to get a job just to have a job, I want a career that I can be happy with and will fulfill me." Totally reasonable request. You deserve the best, and CF or a lung transplant shouldn't stop you.

Do you want to work with children? I Am like you because all I want to do is teach, my health restricts me from working full time, people are encouraging me to do something else or look down on me because they think I don't want to work full time and limiting myself when I describe my restrictions. Don't listen to them because they don't know. If you want to teach look at preschools in a church because they ioffer hours like a part time job. Remember there is a solution to any problem. Do a lot of research in your area for teaching jobs.

sue3582

If you want to teach, I wouldn't necessarily count it out. In most schools, you are not responsible for writing curriculum. And yes, teaching 8 hours can be tough but in high schools you most likely wouldn't be teaching the whole eight hours. I taught full time for six years and now am part time. I love part time teaching. Yes, I could have gotten a better CF job but I absolutely love teaching kids and making a difference in their lives.

If you are planning on getting a part time job now, why not a teachers aide? Then you can see if you really don't want to go into teaching whole also figuring out your life?

rubyroselee

Hi there,

I went through the same thing when I was 22 years old. I graduated with a bachelor's in nursing, but I didn't want to be a nurse. I was too afraid of getting sick in the hospital setting, the 12-hour shifts were way too much for me, and I just didn't like it. I also had to worry about insurance because I was going to be dropping off of my parent's, so I had to find something full time. I ended up going back to school for medical transcription and became a transcriptionist for a short time before working for a doctor's office as a medical assistant. I ended up just progressing my career from there to clinical management and then ended up in healthcare technology. But luckily I found something full time that wasn't too demanding on me and I enjoy it.

You are not alone. You just have to find something you enjoy doing and want to do every day. You will find your way. It may take some time, but just keep searching for something you will like to do. A lot of us have gone through the same situation.