What to include on 504 plan

taylorsmommy

This is the first year we are using a 504 plan. I am curious what other parents include on their children's 504 plans? My daughter is in grade school. Thanks!

taylorsmommy

This is the first year we are using a 504 plan. I am curious what other parents include on their children's 504 plans? My daughter is in grade school. Thanks!

taylorsmommy

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
Originally our school didn't think we needed a 504 plan, so I submitted a letter to the teacher with cf info -- I used Lisa Greene's Letter & site

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.happyheartfamilies.com/articles/article/6447390/109108.htm
">http://www.happyheartfamilies....le/6447390/109108.htm
</a>
Then I also included several CF and school documents -- think there were links on Lisa's site for all of those as well.

The school counselor set up an appointment with us, the principal and teacher to discuss DS' needs and they pretty much used the documentation & letter as the 504 plan, which we signed off on.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
Originally our school didn't think we needed a 504 plan, so I submitted a letter to the teacher with cf info -- I used Lisa Greene's Letter & site

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.happyheartfamilies.com/articles/article/6447390/109108.htm
</a>
Then I also included several CF and school documents -- think there were links on Lisa's site for all of those as well.

The school counselor set up an appointment with us, the principal and teacher to discuss DS' needs and they pretty much used the documentation & letter as the 504 plan, which we signed off on.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
<br />
<br /><a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.happyheartfamilies.com/articles/article/6447390/109108.htm
</a><br />
<br />Then I also included several CF and school documents -- think there were links on Lisa's site for all of those as well.
<br />
<br />The school counselor set up an appointment with us, the principal and teacher to discuss DS' needs and they pretty much used the documentation & letter as the 504 plan, which we signed off on.

hmw

I'd also suggest checking in with your cf center. Ours put together a really good letter with a list of recommended accommodations for Emily as well as a couple summary paragraphs about Emily (her dx, that she was under their care, a little about cf and why precautions need to be taken, etc.) Our school was very cooperative and followed all of their recommendations.

We had a Health Plan meeting including her teachers, the nurse, someone from administration and the school psychologist (she is the 504 coordinator in our district.) The first year at her current school it was very long: a Q&A session about CF in general and then more specifically about what Emily's needs were. This year was easier- most of Emily's needs were the same so we used last year's plan as a template and just modified a few things.

hmw

I'd also suggest checking in with your cf center. Ours put together a really good letter with a list of recommended accommodations for Emily as well as a couple summary paragraphs about Emily (her dx, that she was under their care, a little about cf and why precautions need to be taken, etc.) Our school was very cooperative and followed all of their recommendations.

We had a Health Plan meeting including her teachers, the nurse, someone from administration and the school psychologist (she is the 504 coordinator in our district.) The first year at her current school it was very long: a Q&A session about CF in general and then more specifically about what Emily's needs were. This year was easier- most of Emily's needs were the same so we used last year's plan as a template and just modified a few things.

hmw

<br />
<br />We had a Health Plan meeting including her teachers, the nurse, someone from administration and the school psychologist (she is the 504 coordinator in our district.) The first year at her current school it was very long: a Q&A session about CF in general and then more specifically about what Emily's needs were. This year was easier- most of Emily's needs were the same so we used last year's plan as a template and just modified a few things.

robert321

504s are a pain for teachers and staff so they'll push you to not file one, but when a hospitilzation lasts longer than expected or it comes time for her to start carrying her own enzymes at school, treatments at school, etc. you'll be glad you have everything official.
Through highschool the biggest thing I actually benefitted from the 504 in school was unlimited no questions asked bathroom breaks. It isn't something I did, because as a guy and in highschool, when you "blow up" the bathroom, it's something funny and often rated on a 1 to 10 scale if someone comes in, but lots of people work into the plan arrangements for you to use a private bathroom. Sound effects and a smell that could peel wallpaper is more embarrasing for most people than me.
Include something allowing her to have a snack and/or drink in class, that's really helpful getting enough calories in. My highschool had a rule about only water in a clear plastic bottle is allowed in the classroom because some students decided that a strong drink makes school go by faster, so for me teachers just kinda looked the other way when I had a soda or gatorade out so as to not make a big deal about anything, it might not work that nicely in elementary school though. I always tried to be descrete, and as far as everyone else knew, the teacher just never caught me with it. Same with food, I would keep something in my bag to snack on all day. (my school decided that lockers were a bad idea so we all carried around our backpacks all day to classes, like somehow thats a better alternative...)
Have some arrangements for missed school and maybe extended due dates while she's sick, people don't realize that when a cfer is sick, we'll still be at school, but when we get home we crash, so homework falls to the wayside. This would probably require a note to the teacher from you, it gets tougher in highschool when most students can sign their parents name better than thier parents can.
search 504 to find what others have done, I know this topic comes up around school time every year

robert321

504s are a pain for teachers and staff so they'll push you to not file one, but when a hospitilzation lasts longer than expected or it comes time for her to start carrying her own enzymes at school, treatments at school, etc. you'll be glad you have everything official.
Through highschool the biggest thing I actually benefitted from the 504 in school was unlimited no questions asked bathroom breaks. It isn't something I did, because as a guy and in highschool, when you "blow up" the bathroom, it's something funny and often rated on a 1 to 10 scale if someone comes in, but lots of people work into the plan arrangements for you to use a private bathroom. Sound effects and a smell that could peel wallpaper is more embarrasing for most people than me.
Include something allowing her to have a snack and/or drink in class, that's really helpful getting enough calories in. My highschool had a rule about only water in a clear plastic bottle is allowed in the classroom because some students decided that a strong drink makes school go by faster, so for me teachers just kinda looked the other way when I had a soda or gatorade out so as to not make a big deal about anything, it might not work that nicely in elementary school though. I always tried to be descrete, and as far as everyone else knew, the teacher just never caught me with it. Same with food, I would keep something in my bag to snack on all day. (my school decided that lockers were a bad idea so we all carried around our backpacks all day to classes, like somehow thats a better alternative...)
Have some arrangements for missed school and maybe extended due dates while she's sick, people don't realize that when a cfer is sick, we'll still be at school, but when we get home we crash, so homework falls to the wayside. This would probably require a note to the teacher from you, it gets tougher in highschool when most students can sign their parents name better than thier parents can.
search 504 to find what others have done, I know this topic comes up around school time every year

robert321

<br />Through highschool the biggest thing I actually benefitted from the 504 in school was unlimited no questions asked bathroom breaks. It isn't something I did, because as a guy and in highschool, when you "blow up" the bathroom, it's something funny and often rated on a 1 to 10 scale if someone comes in, but lots of people work into the plan arrangements for you to use a private bathroom. Sound effects and a smell that could peel wallpaper is more embarrasing for most people than me.
<br />Include something allowing her to have a snack and/or drink in class, that's really helpful getting enough calories in. My highschool had a rule about only water in a clear plastic bottle is allowed in the classroom because some students decided that a strong drink makes school go by faster, so for me teachers just kinda looked the other way when I had a soda or gatorade out so as to not make a big deal about anything, it might not work that nicely in elementary school though. I always tried to be descrete, and as far as everyone else knew, the teacher just never caught me with it. Same with food, I would keep something in my bag to snack on all day. (my school decided that lockers were a bad idea so we all carried around our backpacks all day to classes, like somehow thats a better alternative...)
<br />Have some arrangements for missed school and maybe extended due dates while she's sick, people don't realize that when a cfer is sick, we'll still be at school, but when we get home we crash, so homework falls to the wayside. This would probably require a note to the teacher from you, it gets tougher in highschool when most students can sign their parents name better than thier parents can.
<br />search 504 to find what others have done, I know this topic comes up around school time every year

hmw

Schools cannot help a child if they don't know what the child needs~ a good health plan meeting to implement the 504 is essential. It's NOT a universal attitude to push not to get the 504. It's in the school's best interest to have them for kids that need them (there end up being all kinds of liability concerns if a child has a medical condition and their needs are not being met and there is a complication at school, after all.)

Parents should definitely *not* assume that the school is going to fight them on it, etc but rather go into the meeting well prepared with the documentation they need for their child and an attitude assuming there will be cooperation... school staff will definitely appreciate it if we go into it wanting to work with them... but be prepared to advocate for our child as needed.

hmw

Schools cannot help a child if they don't know what the child needs~ a good health plan meeting to implement the 504 is essential. It's NOT a universal attitude to push not to get the 504. It's in the school's best interest to have them for kids that need them (there end up being all kinds of liability concerns if a child has a medical condition and their needs are not being met and there is a complication at school, after all.)

Parents should definitely *not* assume that the school is going to fight them on it, etc but rather go into the meeting well prepared with the documentation they need for their child and an attitude assuming there will be cooperation... school staff will definitely appreciate it if we go into it wanting to work with them... but be prepared to advocate for our child as needed.

hmw

<br />
<br />Parents should definitely *not* assume that the school is going to fight them on it, etc but rather go into the meeting well prepared with the documentation they need for their child and an attitude assuming there will be cooperation... school staff will definitely appreciate it if we go into it wanting to work with them... but be prepared to advocate for our child as needed.