What's the weirdest thing...

Breezy

Instead of the typical chest and digestive, what's the weirdest or funniest thing you've ever been diagnosed with? It doens't have to be a long term thing either, it can be a temporary situation.

For myself, it would have to be handsdown a <b>ganglion.</b>

Yup that's right, go ahead and laugh b/c I sure did when the doctor told me what i had. A ganglion is a cyst or sac that forms when a tendon separates or becomes inflammed around a joint. The inflammation causes the tear to form a cyst and/or fill up with sinovial joint fluid, and any use of that joint causes it to get bigger and bigger. I've had 2: one smack in the middle of my hand (at the base of my middle finger knuckle, and one on my knee), and let me tell you, THEY HURT.

I remember mine was so painful and humungous on my hand that when my doctor asked to see it, i was embarassed. He squeezed it and proceeded to tell me it was leaking fluid. For being so painful, the treatment was a simple dose of 2 Advils, 3 times a day for a week to take down the inflammation.

Weird! What are some of yours?

Breezy

Instead of the typical chest and digestive, what's the weirdest or funniest thing you've ever been diagnosed with? It doens't have to be a long term thing either, it can be a temporary situation.

Yup that's right, go ahead and laugh b/c I sure did when the doctor told me what i had. A ganglion is a cyst or sac that forms when a tendon separates or becomes inflammed around a joint. The inflammation causes the tear to form a cyst and/or fill up with sinovial joint fluid, and any use of that joint causes it to get bigger and bigger. I've had 2: one smack in the middle of my hand (at the base of my middle finger knuckle, and one on my knee), and let me tell you, THEY HURT.

I remember mine was so painful and humungous on my hand that when my doctor asked to see it, i was embarassed. He squeezed it and proceeded to tell me it was leaking fluid. For being so painful, the treatment was a simple dose of 2 Advils, 3 times a day for a week to take down the inflammation.

Breezy

Breezy

Breezy

coltsfan715

The oddest thing I have ever been diagnosed with or had is Leukocytoclastic Vasculitis.

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.emedicine.com/derm/topic185.htm">Info on Vasculitis</a>
Info on Vasculitis and some pictures at the end of article.

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.cysticfibrosismedicine.com/htmldocs/CFText/vasculitis.htm">Cystic Fibrosis and Vasculitis</a>

Just an article I found about CF and the occurence of Vasculitis.

For me it started with little red spots on my ankles and then my knees and hips. They looked like little blood blisters. Then after about 2 days I had a rash all over both legs. I ended up with a few ulcers on my ankles and horrendous joint pain (knee and hip pain mostly).

I went to the dermatologist about it cause I was unsure what it was. The lesions/rash came and went every few weeks over a 3-4 month period. For me the ocurence correlated to my taking Levaquin (I was taking TOBI every other month and taking Levaquin in the off months). I ended up going to my CF docs about it when I started to notice the blisters on my elbows and wrists (I did not want to have an outbreak all over my arms too). I was admitted to the hospital and taken off all the meds/antibiotics I was on at the time. They took biopsies to hopefully determine what the problem was - the CAUSE of the vasculitis. They said it was either an allergic reaction to a med or that it happened "just because". The results of the biopsies were inconclusive and I have not had a recurrence since that time - I also have not taken Levaquin since that time.

That occurred the year that I graduated high school - so I was 18. I will say if you look at the pictures of it online it is disgusting. It was not as horrendous as it could have been for me - sometimes people break out all over their bodies - the majority of my breakout was on my legs and had started on my elbows I didn't have it anywhere else. I will say it was funny though because when I was in the hospital they brought EVERY resident in to see me because no one - even MY doctors had seen vasculitis in an actual case before they had only read about it lol.

Well yeah that was the most bizarre thing I was diagnosed with to this point.

Take Care,
Lindsey

coltsfan715

The oddest thing I have ever been diagnosed with or had is Leukocytoclastic Vasculitis.

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.emedicine.com/derm/topic185.htm">Info on Vasculitis</a>

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.cysticfibrosismedicine.com/htmldocs/CFText/vasculitis.htm">Cystic Fibrosis and Vasculitis</a>

For me it started with little red spots on my ankles and then my knees and hips. They looked like little blood blisters. Then after about 2 days I had a rash all over both legs. I ended up with a few ulcers on my ankles and horrendous joint pain (knee and hip pain mostly).

I went to the dermatologist about it cause I was unsure what it was. The lesions/rash came and went every few weeks over a 3-4 month period. For me the ocurence correlated to my taking Levaquin (I was taking TOBI every other month and taking Levaquin in the off months). I ended up going to my CF docs about it when I started to notice the blisters on my elbows and wrists (I did not want to have an outbreak all over my arms too). I was admitted to the hospital and taken off all the meds/antibiotics I was on at the time. They took biopsies to hopefully determine what the problem was - the CAUSE of the vasculitis. They said it was either an allergic reaction to a med or that it happened "just because". The results of the biopsies were inconclusive and I have not had a recurrence since that time - I also have not taken Levaquin since that time.

That occurred the year that I graduated high school - so I was 18. I will say if you look at the pictures of it online it is disgusting. It was not as horrendous as it could have been for me - sometimes people break out all over their bodies - the majority of my breakout was on my legs and had started on my elbows I didn't have it anywhere else. I will say it was funny though because when I was in the hospital they brought EVERY resident in to see me because no one - even MY doctors had seen vasculitis in an actual case before they had only read about it lol.

Take Care,
Lindsey

coltsfan715

Take Care,
Lindsey

coltsfan715

Take Care,
Lindsey

coltsfan715

Take Care,
Lindsey

thefrogprincess

For me it was probably Pityriasis Rosea. Its a skin rash caused by a virus. I had a mild case thank goodness. My skin literally went scaly on my lower abdomen, thighs, chest, and a little on my arms. Then it started to peel like when you get a bad sunburn. Since I had a mild case it didn't even itch, but my doc said that sometimes people scratch so much that they get open sores from it. Yuck!

thefrogprincess

For me it was probably Pityriasis Rosea. Its a skin rash caused by a virus. I had a mild case thank goodness. My skin literally went scaly on my lower abdomen, thighs, chest, and a little on my arms. Then it started to peel like when you get a bad sunburn. Since I had a mild case it didn't even itch, but my doc said that sometimes people scratch so much that they get open sores from it. Yuck!

thefrogprincess

thefrogprincess

thefrogprincess

tara

Oh! I have one. I was diagnosed with Solar Urticaria (being allergic to the sun) when I was 12.

It came on quickly. I remember the exact day. I was out riding my bike and when I came in the backs of my hands felt like they were on fire. At first it was only the backs of my hands that were affected. Soon it was my fore arms too and then eventually anytime I was out in the sun it was any exposed part of my body, including my face. I thought it made me look like a monster. It was painfully itchy and NOTHING helped relieve the symptoms.

I hid from the sun for years, escaping from PE class with a doctors note and everything! It was AWFUL. Spring, summer and fall were the worst times, probably because that's when I was most exposed to the sun. But then one day, it was gone. I turned 18, went to college and it was just gone. So i only had the reaction for 6 years but it completely destroyed my social life outdoors (hiding under bushes at lunch time all through high school, when everyone else was sitting in the sun on the "quad.") It made going to the beach unbearable. It was terrible, and I'm glad it's gone. I hope it's not hereditary. I wouldn't wish it on anyone, especially in CA where I live and the sun shines nearly everyday!

tara

Oh! I have one. I was diagnosed with Solar Urticaria (being allergic to the sun) when I was 12.

It came on quickly. I remember the exact day. I was out riding my bike and when I came in the backs of my hands felt like they were on fire. At first it was only the backs of my hands that were affected. Soon it was my fore arms too and then eventually anytime I was out in the sun it was any exposed part of my body, including my face. I thought it made me look like a monster. It was painfully itchy and NOTHING helped relieve the symptoms.

I hid from the sun for years, escaping from PE class with a doctors note and everything! It was AWFUL. Spring, summer and fall were the worst times, probably because that's when I was most exposed to the sun. But then one day, it was gone. I turned 18, went to college and it was just gone. So i only had the reaction for 6 years but it completely destroyed my social life outdoors (hiding under bushes at lunch time all through high school, when everyone else was sitting in the sun on the "quad.") It made going to the beach unbearable. It was terrible, and I'm glad it's gone. I hope it's not hereditary. I wouldn't wish it on anyone, especially in CA where I live and the sun shines nearly everyday!

tara

tara

tara