When can the CF gene be undetectable?

jmstamu

WE are having our 2nd baby(first trimester). The doctor told my wife that the CF gene was detected in her, now, and I should be checked for it. ???? Can the gene lay undetectable during/before the 1st pregnancy (since the doctor did not say anything about it) and not become more active during the 2nd pregnancy. The first child, as far as we know, does not have CF (if the hostipal vefired corectly at birth). I would be surprised if the gene is like a virus, undetectable, until a special condition occurs to make it come out. I do not have anybody in my mothers(9 siblings) and fathers(5 siblings) with CF active. My wife's family is also negative for active CF. COULD THE FIRST PREGNANCY HAVE CREATED A FALSE NEGATIVE AND THE 2ND PREGANACY A POSITIVE?

jmstamu

WE are having our 2nd baby(first trimester). The doctor told my wife that the CF gene was detected in her, now, and I should be checked for it. ???? Can the gene lay undetectable during/before the 1st pregnancy (since the doctor did not say anything about it) and not become more active during the 2nd pregnancy. The first child, as far as we know, does not have CF (if the hostipal vefired corectly at birth). I would be surprised if the gene is like a virus, undetectable, until a special condition occurs to make it come out. I do not have anybody in my mothers(9 siblings) and fathers(5 siblings) with CF active. My wife's family is also negative for active CF. COULD THE FIRST PREGNANCY HAVE CREATED A FALSE NEGATIVE AND THE 2ND PREGANACY A POSITIVE?

jmstamu

JazzysMom

WHat possibly could have happened with the first pregnancy is that the CF screening was not available. Many states just started implementing the CF as part of routine testing. Another possibility is that her gene is one that use to be more rare and is now on the panel they test for. It is not like a virus that just appears although it would seem that way depending on how rare the mutation of the gene is. They now have identified 1500 gene mutations. I am sure as more & more are identified that those who have had symptoms of CF, but a dx couldnt be confirmed that with additional testing later on things will show up.

JazzysMom

WHat possibly could have happened with the first pregnancy is that the CF screening was not available. Many states just started implementing the CF as part of routine testing. Another possibility is that her gene is one that use to be more rare and is now on the panel they test for. It is not like a virus that just appears although it would seem that way depending on how rare the mutation of the gene is. They now have identified 1500 gene mutations. I am sure as more & more are identified that those who have had symptoms of CF, but a dx couldnt be confirmed that with additional testing later on things will show up.

JazzysMom