When did you talk CF w/your kids?

ginandbrea

Hi!,

I posted this on the other forum as well...

Last year my daughter Breanna was diagnosed at 9 y/o. Immediately she was admitted to the hospital with an FEV1 of 52%. Of course there were all kind of questions she had, but I could not answer them, CF was new to me as well. I spoke with the social worker at Children's Hospital and she advised me to be honest, but conservative.

When Breanna was discharged she went right back to dance class. A girl in her class asked where she had been for the past 2 weeks and Breanna said she had just found out she had CF and had to go into the hospital. 2 days later at the next class the girl approached Breanna and said "Oh, about your CF, my Mom's friend had a daughter with CF, but she died when she was 16." My daughter was completely devistated as I when she got home. Breanna asked me "Mommie, am I going to die?" I didn't know what to say. I told her that God wouldn't give her CF if he thought she couldn't handle it. I told her that many Scientist/Researchers are working hard everyday to find a cure and CF has come such a long way in the last few years. I said there are beautiful young girls just like her with CF living to be little old ladies (no offense to anyone).

It has been a year and she has been in the hospital 3 times since being diagnosed. Breanna knows enough at this point that her health is the most important thing and what the possibilities are (back into the hospital) if she doesn't take care of herself.

I think it makes a difference when a child is diagnosed. With Breanna she was 9 y/o and had to start living a completely different lifestyle, alot changed for her and the adjustment has been very difficult, so I feel by revealing the extent of CF would be too detrimental. I can't fathom the idea of taking her childhood away and replacing it with fear.

Definetely look into a 504 Plan with the School District and letting it be known to teachers and school staff of what your son does know about it. Really, some people just don't think. I can't believe the mother of the girl in dance class would discuss something like this with her child, kids talk, people talk.

The only advise I can give is the same that I was given and that is to be honest, but conservative, their little souls are fragile.

I hope this helps!,

Take care,
Gina

ginandbrea

Hi!,

Last year my daughter Breanna was diagnosed at 9 y/o. Immediately she was admitted to the hospital with an FEV1 of 52%. Of course there were all kind of questions she had, but I could not answer them, CF was new to me as well. I spoke with the social worker at Children's Hospital and she advised me to be honest, but conservative.

When Breanna was discharged she went right back to dance class. A girl in her class asked where she had been for the past 2 weeks and Breanna said she had just found out she had CF and had to go into the hospital. 2 days later at the next class the girl approached Breanna and said "Oh, about your CF, my Mom's friend had a daughter with CF, but she died when she was 16." My daughter was completely devistated as I when she got home. Breanna asked me "Mommie, am I going to die?" I didn't know what to say. I told her that God wouldn't give her CF if he thought she couldn't handle it. I told her that many Scientist/Researchers are working hard everyday to find a cure and CF has come such a long way in the last few years. I said there are beautiful young girls just like her with CF living to be little old ladies (no offense to anyone).

It has been a year and she has been in the hospital 3 times since being diagnosed. Breanna knows enough at this point that her health is the most important thing and what the possibilities are (back into the hospital) if she doesn't take care of herself.

I think it makes a difference when a child is diagnosed. With Breanna she was 9 y/o and had to start living a completely different lifestyle, alot changed for her and the adjustment has been very difficult, so I feel by revealing the extent of CF would be too detrimental. I can't fathom the idea of taking her childhood away and replacing it with fear.

Definetely look into a 504 Plan with the School District and letting it be known to teachers and school staff of what your son does know about it. Really, some people just don't think. I can't believe the mother of the girl in dance class would discuss something like this with her child, kids talk, people talk.

The only advise I can give is the same that I was given and that is to be honest, but conservative, their little souls are fragile.

I hope this helps!,

Take care,
Gina

ginandbrea

Hi!,

I hope this helps!,

Take care,
Gina

ginandbrea

Hi!,

I hope this helps!,

Take care,
Gina

ginandbrea

Hi!,
<br />
<br />I posted this on the other forum as well...
<br />
<br />Last year my daughter Breanna was diagnosed at 9 y/o. Immediately she was admitted to the hospital with an FEV1 of 52%. Of course there were all kind of questions she had, but I could not answer them, CF was new to me as well. I spoke with the social worker at Children's Hospital and she advised me to be honest, but conservative.
<br />
<br />When Breanna was discharged she went right back to dance class. A girl in her class asked where she had been for the past 2 weeks and Breanna said she had just found out she had CF and had to go into the hospital. 2 days later at the next class the girl approached Breanna and said "Oh, about your CF, my Mom's friend had a daughter with CF, but she died when she was 16." My daughter was completely devistated as I when she got home. Breanna asked me "Mommie, am I going to die?" I didn't know what to say. I told her that God wouldn't give her CF if he thought she couldn't handle it. I told her that many Scientist/Researchers are working hard everyday to find a cure and CF has come such a long way in the last few years. I said there are beautiful young girls just like her with CF living to be little old ladies (no offense to anyone).
<br />
<br />It has been a year and she has been in the hospital 3 times since being diagnosed. Breanna knows enough at this point that her health is the most important thing and what the possibilities are (back into the hospital) if she doesn't take care of herself.
<br />
<br />I think it makes a difference when a child is diagnosed. With Breanna she was 9 y/o and had to start living a completely different lifestyle, alot changed for her and the adjustment has been very difficult, so I feel by revealing the extent of CF would be too detrimental. I can't fathom the idea of taking her childhood away and replacing it with fear.
<br />
<br />Definetely look into a 504 Plan with the School District and letting it be known to teachers and school staff of what your son does know about it. Really, some people just don't think. I can't believe the mother of the girl in dance class would discuss something like this with her child, kids talk, people talk.
<br />
<br />The only advise I can give is the same that I was given and that is to be honest, but conservative, their little souls are fragile.
<br />
<br />I hope this helps!,
<br />
<br />Take care,
<br />Gina
<br />

Sheridan

I agree with everyone else, Jordan is 8 almost 9 and we ahve also just explained things to him when he asked or when is was needed. We had the life expectancy talk earlier this year because he asked about it. Jsut keep your answer simple, honest and truthful. When they need more they will ask more.

Sheridan

I agree with everyone else, Jordan is 8 almost 9 and we ahve also just explained things to him when he asked or when is was needed. We had the life expectancy talk earlier this year because he asked about it. Jsut keep your answer simple, honest and truthful. When they need more they will ask more.

Sheridan

Sheridan

Sheridan