When do the questions about CF start?

BabyBeauty

My daughter is 2 1/2 years old. She is getting to the age were she is more alert to her surrounding and more talkative. So far CF is all she knows. She does her treatments in front of other kids as well as her feedings through her tube.

At what age do they realize they are a little different from their friends? When do the questions about CF start?

BabyBeauty

My daughter is 2 1/2 years old. She is getting to the age were she is more alert to her surrounding and more talkative. So far CF is all she knows. She does her treatments in front of other kids as well as her feedings through her tube.

At what age do they realize they are a little different from their friends? When do the questions about CF start?

BabyBeauty

<br />
<br />At what age do they realize they are a little different from their friends? When do the questions about CF start?

mariahsmommy

I dread this myself. My daughter is almost 21 months and I wonder when she will start noticing. She is such a smart girl it won't be long. I just hope I am prepared to answer all her questions.

mariahsmommy

I dread this myself. My daughter is almost 21 months and I wonder when she will start noticing. She is such a smart girl it won't be long. I just hope I am prepared to answer all her questions.

mariahsmommy

truckin4tucker

Tucker started realizing he was "different" from his friends around the age of 5. When he started school, he started asking a lot more tough questions regarding CF, such as "Why do I have CF?" and "How much longer am I going to have CF for?" The older he gets, the tougher the questions get. I am pretty honest in my answers to him, but just give him the info he asked for...i don't elaborate much more unless he asks me to.

truckin4tucker

Tucker started realizing he was "different" from his friends around the age of 5. When he started school, he started asking a lot more tough questions regarding CF, such as "Why do I have CF?" and "How much longer am I going to have CF for?" The older he gets, the tougher the questions get. I am pretty honest in my answers to him, but just give him the info he asked for...i don't elaborate much more unless he asks me to.

truckin4tucker

M

mneville

Age 5. When Aidan started Kindergarten, it became a new ballgame. He had always done pills/treatments in front of family, cousins and friends but once he hit school, everything changed. He asks alot of questions and he is kinda (okay, a lot) pissed about the whole situation. He has a PICC line right now and he keeps saying how 'jealous he is of all the other kids that don't need PICC lines'. I have to admit that as they get older, the emotional aspect becomes alot harder than I imagined. Aidan is an intense kid and is not happy that his body is less than perfect. Good luck, every child is different...

M

mneville

Age 5. When Aidan started Kindergarten, it became a new ballgame. He had always done pills/treatments in front of family, cousins and friends but once he hit school, everything changed. He asks alot of questions and he is kinda (okay, a lot) pissed about the whole situation. He has a PICC line right now and he keeps saying how 'jealous he is of all the other kids that don't need PICC lines'. I have to admit that as they get older, the emotional aspect becomes alot harder than I imagined. Aidan is an intense kid and is not happy that his body is less than perfect. Good luck, every child is different...

M

mneville

<br />

izemmom

My Emily is 4 1/2. When she was about 2 1/2 or almost 3, she had picked a dandelion to give me. When she noticed that I had taken it out of it's glass on the counter and thrown it away, I explained that it had died. She immediately asked if it had CF and was that why it died.

That broke my heart.

She asks questions about CF as they come up. Mostly the "Why" questions. Why do enzymes work? Why doesn't pulmozyme smell like albuterol? Why does it matter if my poop sinks or floats?

We give her truthful answers as best we can, in words she understands. We try not to dumb it down.

When we talk to other people about anything CF related, she tends to plug her ears and do the "nah nah, I'm not listening" thing, but by now we all laugh when she does it, and it's become her little joke.

My goal is to be open and honest about it, and to let her know that it's fine to ask questions, to have fears, to be angry, to talk to other people about it.

My guess is it won't be long before your little one has questions or comments. You're already teaching her that it's a part of her life...just go with that.

Good luck!

izemmom

My Emily is 4 1/2. When she was about 2 1/2 or almost 3, she had picked a dandelion to give me. When she noticed that I had taken it out of it's glass on the counter and thrown it away, I explained that it had died. She immediately asked if it had CF and was that why it died.

That broke my heart.

She asks questions about CF as they come up. Mostly the "Why" questions. Why do enzymes work? Why doesn't pulmozyme smell like albuterol? Why does it matter if my poop sinks or floats?

We give her truthful answers as best we can, in words she understands. We try not to dumb it down.

When we talk to other people about anything CF related, she tends to plug her ears and do the "nah nah, I'm not listening" thing, but by now we all laugh when she does it, and it's become her little joke.

My goal is to be open and honest about it, and to let her know that it's fine to ask questions, to have fears, to be angry, to talk to other people about it.

My guess is it won't be long before your little one has questions or comments. You're already teaching her that it's a part of her life...just go with that.

Good luck!

izemmom

<br />
<br />That broke my heart.
<br />
<br />She asks questions about CF as they come up. Mostly the "Why" questions. Why do enzymes work? Why doesn't pulmozyme smell like albuterol? Why does it matter if my poop sinks or floats?
<br />
<br />We give her truthful answers as best we can, in words she understands. We try not to dumb it down.
<br />
<br />When we talk to other people about anything CF related, she tends to plug her ears and do the "nah nah, I'm not listening" thing, but by now we all laugh when she does it, and it's become her little joke.
<br />
<br />My goal is to be open and honest about it, and to let her know that it's fine to ask questions, to have fears, to be angry, to talk to other people about it.
<br />
<br />My guess is it won't be long before your little one has questions or comments. You're already teaching her that it's a part of her life...just go with that.
<br />
<br />Good luck!