When do you keep your kiddo home from school?

sdavis227

Parker has a nasty cough so I decided to keep him home for the day so I can get extra treatments in. He is acting fine, however, running all around the house and playing like normal. Nobody else is sick so I'm pretty sure he is not contagious to the normal community.

When do you keep your kiddos home? Do you try to send them and just get extra treatments in when they return from school? Does school do treatments? This is our first year in full time school so advice would be helpful :)

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
I would think that if he is coughing a nasty cough he is contagious. Maybe not a flu or cold but whatever he is culturing. I would keep him home; but I would also expect other parents to keep their non-CF kids home who have a nasty cough too. But so that it isn't play time, have structured time to keep the school work current. Sorry I can't give any practical advise on this--our ds is 3 and we're homeschooling.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
If he's active, doesn't act sick, doesn't have a fever, then DS goes to school. If he's feverish, sleeping more than usual or lethargic, then we keep him home to rest.

Printer

CF is not contagious but when we cough we can/will spread the same germs as any non CF person. My guideline would be, what would you do if we were talking about a non CF child. If you, or your neighbors, would send them, sent the CF kid.

The same good sanitizion rules should apply for everyone, cough or sneeze into your elbow and wash your hands.

Bill

AUG19DW

I totally agree. Send them to school. If you keep them home for every little cough then they would start missing alot of days of school and unless you have a dr.'s excuse they are counted against them. When they have a fever and very tired and just run down then yes keep them home by all means.

Gammaw

Super Moderator
My guidelines are pretty simple - if there's anything green (nasal discharge, sputum, or from eyes) or if there is a fever, they stay home for at least 24 hours after the fever is gone. If on antibiotics, I ask the nurse when they can return to school - the answer is usually 24 hours after we start antibiotics and any fever is gone. Ear infections don't warrant a stay at home unless he is uncomfortable. It's the same for his non-CF sister. I hate it when i go to school and see children with massive green nasal discharge running around. When in doubt I ask the nurse - that's what they are for. I get in extra treatments by adding one immediately after school as well as in the morning and before bed. We step it up to 4 times a day on weekends or when he is otherwise home.

ymikhale

Our hospital advises to send to school if there is no fever. However, I pay a lot ot attention to quality of sleep: if my dd coughs all night long, I keep her at home.

Gammaw

Super Moderator
Aboveallislove - yes I see she said Parker has a nasty cough. But when a CFer has a nasty cough, that's immediate doc visit or call for us, and I would assume an RX for an antibiotic. I can't imagine a nasty cough in a CF child that wouldn't result in an antibiotic. Without a great explanation, I would want a change of docs! Once they are on an antibiotic, my nurse rule comes in even without a fever - I would ask the nurse when he could go back to school. Of course no one wants their child uncomfortable in school - if he's coughing badly, he needs to stay home until he's comfortable again and able to focus. Same thing for an itchy rash, etc. When in doubt - ask the docs office.

sdavis227

My version of "nasty" may not be what your version is. I wasn't really worried about keeping him out of school because he may pass something to someone else - I was more worried with treatments and trying to keep him out of the hospital. I have been a SAHM and when he wasn't in school could do as many treatments as he needed during the day. Now with school I feel that whenever I need to up treatments I can hardly get 3 in let alone 4.

We did put a call into doc and they did see him and then treat with abx for what he cultured (clinic was last Thursday).

Thank you everyone :)