When does your doc admit you??

M

mah

Switched pulmonologists and I wanted to know what constitutes the need for admissions and/or tune-ups, as I'm now realizing how different it can be from doctor to doctor. Usually, I am admitted when my chest x-ray shows an infection and/or my 02 sats dip.

M

mah

Switched pulmonologists and I wanted to know what constitutes the need for admissions and/or tune-ups, as I'm now realizing how different it can be from doctor to doctor. Usually, I am admitted when my chest x-ray shows an infection and/or my 02 sats dip.

M

mah

erock77

With my current doc it's usually based on notable pft reduction after trying oral and inhaled abx. Also when I culture a new bug or have really bad bleeding worthy of the ER.

erock77

With my current doc it's usually based on notable pft reduction after trying oral and inhaled abx. Also when I culture a new bug or have really bad bleeding worthy of the ER.

erock77

RistaGirly

awhile ago i actually asked my doctor when the "best" time to go "in" and he said "when you're actually sick" ....i kinda laughed at that since im always going to be sick....but I've actually been waiting to be admitted because I havent in awhile and its just not happening..lol
my xrays have cleared up, so that makes me not be admitted.
for me i guess, my doctor determines it based on my PFT's and if and how often ive cultured anything.
I've permenetly been put on TOBI because I'm continually culturing pseudomonas. so i get to do the 28 cycle..woo..not
i think my doctor also tries to wait for when im feeling the worst...if im starting to get sick, like a bug or something, he'll probably want to admit me.

RistaGirly

awhile ago i actually asked my doctor when the "best" time to go "in" and he said "when you're actually sick" ....i kinda laughed at that since im always going to be sick....but I've actually been waiting to be admitted because I havent in awhile and its just not happening..lol
my xrays have cleared up, so that makes me not be admitted.
for me i guess, my doctor determines it based on my PFT's and if and how often ive cultured anything.
I've permenetly been put on TOBI because I'm continually culturing pseudomonas. so i get to do the 28 cycle..woo..not
i think my doctor also tries to wait for when im feeling the worst...if im starting to get sick, like a bug or something, he'll probably want to admit me.

RistaGirly

<br />my xrays have cleared up, so that makes me not be admitted.
<br />for me i guess, my doctor determines it based on my PFT's and if and how often ive cultured anything.
<br />I've permenetly been put on TOBI because I'm continually culturing pseudomonas. so i get to do the 28 cycle..woo..not
<br />i think my doctor also tries to wait for when im feeling the worst...if im starting to get sick, like a bug or something, he'll probably want to admit me.

CFkitty

When I am growing a multi-resistant bug and I am symptomatic (increased cough and sputum, change in color and consistency of sputum, shortness of breath, wheezing, decreased PFTs and O2, chest Xray evidence).

If several bugs of varying resistances are growing at the same time (one strain is sensitive to Cipro and Tobi), we try that route first. Regardless, if I am getting sicker and sicker and nothing else helps, I go on IVs.

This past year and a half, I have been on IVs 3 times (only go into the hospital to get PICC, get a few days of HEPARIN and watch for clots - I have had two clots), which is the most frequent it has ever been for me. It's because I have a strain of PA that only responds to Ceftax/Tobra/Gent. And it scares the hell out of me now.

CFkitty

When I am growing a multi-resistant bug and I am symptomatic (increased cough and sputum, change in color and consistency of sputum, shortness of breath, wheezing, decreased PFTs and O2, chest Xray evidence).

If several bugs of varying resistances are growing at the same time (one strain is sensitive to Cipro and Tobi), we try that route first. Regardless, if I am getting sicker and sicker and nothing else helps, I go on IVs.

This past year and a half, I have been on IVs 3 times (only go into the hospital to get PICC, get a few days of HEPARIN and watch for clots - I have had two clots), which is the most frequent it has ever been for me. It's because I have a strain of PA that only responds to Ceftax/Tobra/Gent. And it scares the hell out of me now.

CFkitty

<br />
<br />If several bugs of varying resistances are growing at the same time (one strain is sensitive to Cipro and Tobi), we try that route first. Regardless, if I am getting sicker and sicker and nothing else helps, I go on IVs.
<br />
<br />This past year and a half, I have been on IVs 3 times (only go into the hospital to get PICC, get a few days of HEPARIN and watch for clots - I have had two clots), which is the most frequent it has ever been for me. It's because I have a strain of PA that only responds to Ceftax/Tobra/Gent. And it scares the hell out of me now.

M

mah

to CFkitty -- I, too, have had 2 pulmo. blood clots. SO $#%$ scary!! Try telling ppl about it, they have NO IDEA! (Not to mention that Coumadin is crazy-sensitive to abx...)
Just thought I'd share.

M

mah

to CFkitty -- I, too, have had 2 pulmo. blood clots. SO $#%$ scary!! Try telling ppl about it, they have NO IDEA! (Not to mention that Coumadin is crazy-sensitive to abx...)
Just thought I'd share.

M

mah

<br /> Just thought I'd share.

JustDucky

Mah, oh my is coumadin sensitive to antibiotics! I too am on it chronically because I have had blood clots to my lungs as well. Very scary. I have also found that my INR's go crazy with a flare up...off of antibiotics, my INR has been as high as 9, but that was because I was septic. Once that is under control, the INR starts to drift downwards. I am one of those super sensitive to coumadin, either my levels are too low or too high, this results in weekly draws to see where my INR is sitting. I have been on from anything from 2mg to 15mg of coumadin....nuts.
Jenn

JustDucky

Mah, oh my is coumadin sensitive to antibiotics! I too am on it chronically because I have had blood clots to my lungs as well. Very scary. I have also found that my INR's go crazy with a flare up...off of antibiotics, my INR has been as high as 9, but that was because I was septic. Once that is under control, the INR starts to drift downwards. I am one of those super sensitive to coumadin, either my levels are too low or too high, this results in weekly draws to see where my INR is sitting. I have been on from anything from 2mg to 15mg of coumadin....nuts.
Jenn

JustDucky

<br />Jenn

longhorn4life

I've been sick so badly I couldn't leave my apartment, I've coughed so badly it's made me vomit, I've had abnormal chest x-rays and CT and PET scans, I've cultured MRSA and NTM abscessus... and I still have never been admitted to the hospital. I've gone to the ER a few times, but that was mostly before my CF diagnosis and I was never there longer than 12 hours. So I have no idea what constitutes admission into the hospital.

longhorn4life

I've been sick so badly I couldn't leave my apartment, I've coughed so badly it's made me vomit, I've had abnormal chest x-rays and CT and PET scans, I've cultured MRSA and NTM abscessus... and I still have never been admitted to the hospital. I've gone to the ER a few times, but that was mostly before my CF diagnosis and I was never there longer than 12 hours. So I have no idea what constitutes admission into the hospital.