Where to stay after surgery?

shea14

They are discussing more in depth what to do with AJ. They are trying to decide between a partial lung removal and a lung transplant although I think they are leaning more toward the removal. There's a lot more to it then that but I'll try to be brief. Even though we have family in St. Louis Texas medicaid wants us to go to Houston. Not only do I not know anyone in Houston but I have never even been there before. I know we can stay at the Ronald McDonald house while he is in the hospital. But they want us to stay in Houston for a while after he is released. Have any of you gone through this? Where did you stay?

shea14

They are discussing more in depth what to do with AJ. They are trying to decide between a partial lung removal and a lung transplant although I think they are leaning more toward the removal. There's a lot more to it then that but I'll try to be brief. Even though we have family in St. Louis Texas medicaid wants us to go to Houston. Not only do I not know anyone in Houston but I have never even been there before. I know we can stay at the Ronald McDonald house while he is in the hospital. But they want us to stay in Houston for a while after he is released. Have any of you gone through this? Where did you stay?

shea14

shea14

shea14

Transplantmommy

When I had my double lung and liver Tx, we were expected to stay in the Cleveland area for at least 6-8 weeks after I was released from the hospital. I live 6 hours away from Cleveland.

At transplant hospital there are normally hospitality units that you can stay at for a discounted price....cheaper than a hotel. There is one in Cleveland (run by the Cleveland Clinic) that is $50/night. I know that is still expensive, but it was cheaper than the cheapest hotel that was $79/night (and that was with a discount for being a CC patient). We had the room at the hospitality unit for a month which ran up a $1,500 bill but we did not pay a cent. We applied for a grant (or whatever you call it) from the Boomer Esiason (sp?) Fund. We were accepted and they paid the bill. You could try something like this. I would have to try to dig and find the info for you because I'm not sure that I have it anymore. You can also check with the social worker at the clinic that you are going to go to. They should have tons of information.

My family stayed in this room (suite actually) that we had while I was in the hospital and then I stayed there too when I got out. I did not stay in Cleveland for 6-8 weeks as expected, I was well enough to go home after 2 1/2 weeks from being released. My family and the doctors were all amazed!!

Good luck with your son and if you want me to search for more information I will try.

Transplantmommy

When I had my double lung and liver Tx, we were expected to stay in the Cleveland area for at least 6-8 weeks after I was released from the hospital. I live 6 hours away from Cleveland.

At transplant hospital there are normally hospitality units that you can stay at for a discounted price....cheaper than a hotel. There is one in Cleveland (run by the Cleveland Clinic) that is $50/night. I know that is still expensive, but it was cheaper than the cheapest hotel that was $79/night (and that was with a discount for being a CC patient). We had the room at the hospitality unit for a month which ran up a $1,500 bill but we did not pay a cent. We applied for a grant (or whatever you call it) from the Boomer Esiason (sp?) Fund. We were accepted and they paid the bill. You could try something like this. I would have to try to dig and find the info for you because I'm not sure that I have it anymore. You can also check with the social worker at the clinic that you are going to go to. They should have tons of information.

My family stayed in this room (suite actually) that we had while I was in the hospital and then I stayed there too when I got out. I did not stay in Cleveland for 6-8 weeks as expected, I was well enough to go home after 2 1/2 weeks from being released. My family and the doctors were all amazed!!

Good luck with your son and if you want me to search for more information I will try.

Transplantmommy

Transplantmommy

Transplantmommy

<br />
<br />At transplant hospital there are normally hospitality units that you can stay at for a discounted price....cheaper than a hotel. There is one in Cleveland (run by the Cleveland Clinic) that is $50/night. I know that is still expensive, but it was cheaper than the cheapest hotel that was $79/night (and that was with a discount for being a CC patient). We had the room at the hospitality unit for a month which ran up a $1,500 bill but we did not pay a cent. We applied for a grant (or whatever you call it) from the Boomer Esiason (sp?) Fund. We were accepted and they paid the bill. You could try something like this. I would have to try to dig and find the info for you because I'm not sure that I have it anymore. You can also check with the social worker at the clinic that you are going to go to. They should have tons of information.
<br />
<br />My family stayed in this room (suite actually) that we had while I was in the hospital and then I stayed there too when I got out. I did not stay in Cleveland for 6-8 weeks as expected, I was well enough to go home after 2 1/2 weeks from being released. My family and the doctors were all amazed!!
<br />
<br />Good luck with your son and if you want me to search for more information I will try.