whooping cough, please help

catalinaohara

Hey there,

So I dont know if any of you have heard of the "outbreak" at Children's in Boston of whooping cough? Anyway, I am seen at children's and just finished a two week cleanout last wednesday (the 25th), meaning I was there on wednesday getting my line out, and was there the week before, twice.

Now, much to my HUGE DISMAY, i seem to have caught something. Yesterday it came on really fast, I basically felt fine all day and then had a small coughing fit but nothing abnormal. After that I felt tired and had the chills. I was convinced I had a fever, and kept obsessively taking my temperature but there was no fever. I went out for dinner, and as the night went on my symtoms developed into what is a really really sore throat and a cough that is not necessarily related but everytime I cough I spasm because of the sore throat and sensitivity.

I am not sure what I have--- these symptoms are similar to what I present with if I have caught a cold sometimes, but then it struck me last night, What if I have Whooping Cough from the hospital?

My question is I was just wondering if any of you have ever had it. I am concerned with how it would effect my CF. Choking coughing and feeings of asphyxiation are what happens to "normal" people, and I am freaked out about how it would effect me if I had it. I guess antibiotics dont really help, they just keep you from being contagious and may shorten the course of the sickness.

Now, I had the vaccination for it in August, oddly, because there has been a recurrence of whooping cough in the area in the past year, so my Dr. recommended it. But I am reading that the vaccination is only 59-80 % effective and that there is new evidence of vaccinated adults getting the disease anyway.

I am not sure what I am going to do. Its 345 am, so nothing now. I am awake because I am so uncomfortable. Its the weekend, and I know calling the on-call Dr. tomorrow would mean a trip to the ER, to that germ-infested hospital, so I am trying to figure out what I should do.

Thanks for listening, any advice would be helpful. Hope all are well....i used to lurk around this board a lot more but not lately.

Caitlin
23 w/CF, b. cepacia

catalinaohara

Hey there,

So I dont know if any of you have heard of the "outbreak" at Children's in Boston of whooping cough? Anyway, I am seen at children's and just finished a two week cleanout last wednesday (the 25th), meaning I was there on wednesday getting my line out, and was there the week before, twice.

Now, much to my HUGE DISMAY, i seem to have caught something. Yesterday it came on really fast, I basically felt fine all day and then had a small coughing fit but nothing abnormal. After that I felt tired and had the chills. I was convinced I had a fever, and kept obsessively taking my temperature but there was no fever. I went out for dinner, and as the night went on my symtoms developed into what is a really really sore throat and a cough that is not necessarily related but everytime I cough I spasm because of the sore throat and sensitivity.

I am not sure what I have--- these symptoms are similar to what I present with if I have caught a cold sometimes, but then it struck me last night, What if I have Whooping Cough from the hospital?

My question is I was just wondering if any of you have ever had it. I am concerned with how it would effect my CF. Choking coughing and feeings of asphyxiation are what happens to "normal" people, and I am freaked out about how it would effect me if I had it. I guess antibiotics dont really help, they just keep you from being contagious and may shorten the course of the sickness.

Now, I had the vaccination for it in August, oddly, because there has been a recurrence of whooping cough in the area in the past year, so my Dr. recommended it. But I am reading that the vaccination is only 59-80 % effective and that there is new evidence of vaccinated adults getting the disease anyway.

I am not sure what I am going to do. Its 345 am, so nothing now. I am awake because I am so uncomfortable. Its the weekend, and I know calling the on-call Dr. tomorrow would mean a trip to the ER, to that germ-infested hospital, so I am trying to figure out what I should do.

Thanks for listening, any advice would be helpful. Hope all are well....i used to lurk around this board a lot more but not lately.

Caitlin
23 w/CF, b. cepacia

catalinaohara

Hey there,

Caitlin
23 w/CF, b. cepacia

Jane

Digital opinion leader
Caitlin,

We go to Children's too and this creeped us out as well. We were told by our Dr (Dr Sheils) in early September that there had been cases of Whooping cough IN THE CLINIC!!! It was 2 people in the office staff and they were taken care of immediately. She told us that if we suspect we have been in contact, that she would put the boys on the antibiotics. The news just said 10 more workers have gotten sick!!

Here's some info about symptoms:

<b>How is whooping cough contracted?

The infection is transferred through airborne droplets when an infected person coughs. Anyone who has not been vaccinated is highly likely to contract the disease just by spending time in the same room as an infected person.

Anyone who has been vaccinated or has suffered from whooping cough will have a degree of immunity to the disease. They may contract a mild case some years later but this will not develop into a full-blown attack.

The incubation period - the time between contracting the infection and the appearance of the main symptoms - can vary from 5 to 15 days or even longer.

Whooping cough is infectious from the first sneezes and throughout the course of the disease, which can last for up to eight weeks. This is a much longer period than with other children's diseases. </b>

<b>What are the symptoms of whooping cough?

The disease begins with a cold and a mild cough. After this, the typical coughing bouts set in. The coughing continues until no air is left in the lungs. After this comes a deep intake of breath that produces a heaving, 'whooping' sound when the air passes the larynx (windpipe) that gives rise to the name of the disease.

The patient will eventually cough up some phlegm and these attacks may well be followed by vomiting. The child's temperature is likely to remain normal.

A bout of whooping cough can be very distressing for both the child and the parents who feel unable to help.

Coughing attacks may occur up to 40 times a day and the disease can last for up to eight weeks. </b>

Let us know what the DR on call says. I hope its nothing. (I agree about the ER- GROSS!!)

Jane

Digital opinion leader
Caitlin,

We go to Children's too and this creeped us out as well. We were told by our Dr (Dr Sheils) in early September that there had been cases of Whooping cough IN THE CLINIC!!! It was 2 people in the office staff and they were taken care of immediately. She told us that if we suspect we have been in contact, that she would put the boys on the antibiotics. The news just said 10 more workers have gotten sick!!

The infection is transferred through airborne droplets when an infected person coughs. Anyone who has not been vaccinated is highly likely to contract the disease just by spending time in the same room as an infected person.

Anyone who has been vaccinated or has suffered from whooping cough will have a degree of immunity to the disease. They may contract a mild case some years later but this will not develop into a full-blown attack.

The incubation period - the time between contracting the infection and the appearance of the main symptoms - can vary from 5 to 15 days or even longer.

Whooping cough is infectious from the first sneezes and throughout the course of the disease, which can last for up to eight weeks. This is a much longer period than with other children's diseases. </b>

The disease begins with a cold and a mild cough. After this, the typical coughing bouts set in. The coughing continues until no air is left in the lungs. After this comes a deep intake of breath that produces a heaving, 'whooping' sound when the air passes the larynx (windpipe) that gives rise to the name of the disease.

The patient will eventually cough up some phlegm and these attacks may well be followed by vomiting. The child's temperature is likely to remain normal.

A bout of whooping cough can be very distressing for both the child and the parents who feel unable to help.

Coughing attacks may occur up to 40 times a day and the disease can last for up to eight weeks. </b>

Let us know what the DR on call says. I hope its nothing. (I agree about the ER- GROSS!!)

Jane

Digital opinion leader
Caitlin,

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
There was a child in DS's preschool two years ago when there was a whooping cough epidemic in our state. All the children were put on zithromax prophalactically even though all had been vaccinated.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
There was a child in DS's preschool two years ago when there was a whooping cough epidemic in our state. All the children were put on zithromax prophalactically even though all had been vaccinated.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member