Why do I love Gatorade so much?

W

welshwitch

I'm in the midst of marathon training. Why do I love Gatorade so much? I swear, I love it more than my non-CF runner friends.

After a long run, I can drink up to an entire bottle in a very short amount of time. I crave it more than I crave water.

Anyone have a scientific explanation? I feel like it must have something to do with the sodium and electrolytes. I could just drink that stuff all day :)

Gammaw

Super Moderator
I don't know the answer to your question. But I have a 9 year old who can down one of those huge bottles in a minute ..... chug chug chug smile! I started stocking them instead of always packing salt packets with his water. Lots of carbs too! We keep a steady supply at home and school.

JakeS

Hi, my name is JakeS, 38 w/cf. The reason you NEED electrolyte replacement, especially after exercise has everything to do with CF. Gatorade has high amounts of sodium. We lose so much more sodium(and potassium, magnesium, calcium(the other electrolytes)) through sweat, breathing, phlemn, and stools than most people due to cf. Electrolytes act on a cellular level to transport fluids in and out of the cell. We need sodium to transport water on a cellular level, thus why cfers are chronically dehydrated. So yes you crave gatorade because you need it. Electrolytes, magnesium and potassium are critical for proper absorption of nutrients. This is one reason so many of us(me included) suffer from chronic malabsorption. Much of our food goes undigested w/out proper replacement of mag. And pot. These are found in gatorade in low levels, but you need more. Also low levels of pot. And mag. Lead to low levels of calcium(the other electrolyte) This is why most cf patients have low bone density. I recommend that you do several things. Before i say what they are, a caveat. I have had a love hate relationship with gatorade my whole life. Love it, for the quick electrolyte replacement, hate it for the sugar & low ph. As a result of growing up on gatorade my teeth have rotted out, and i now have to wear partial dentures.
A couple of years ago, i finally figured out some electrolyte replacement therapies that do not rot my teeth(nuetral ph) This also happens to be good sources of potassium and magnesium, calcium, and sodium. Coconut water is natures electrolyte replacement. Neutral ph, no sugar. High in mag. And pot. Not so high in sodium. So this is what i do. I combine coconut water with fruit juice(taste), then add salt. You can add as much salt as you like. The good thing about needing sodium is that you crave it, and can palate more than most people.
Now, with coco water/fruit juice/salt combo I not only get electrolyte replacement, but also chronic malabsorption is improved, and my teeth don't suffer. Also that calcium supplement your doctor has you on, will be absorbed properly, therefore better bone density. Also i have found, liquid cal/mag/zinc supplements absorb much better than the pill supplements.
I am not advocating that you not enjoy your gatorade, especially after a run. It is just good to know that there are better, more complete electrolyte replacement options out there. I am advocating complimentery therapies, meaning there is more than one way to slay the electrolyte beast. Stay strong.

W

welshwitch

I love it! Thanks, Jake. This is the scientific explanation I was hoping for. And thanks for the tip re: lower sugar option. I haven't had too much trouble with my teeth, but want to avoid major dental issues in the future.

Power on.

ladybird

Have you guys considered trying pedialyte - it has all the electrolytes without the sugar. I use it for my dog when I go on road trips or he gets dehydrated/constipated due to not enough drinking.

Gammaw

Super Moderator
I had no idea coconut water was so good at electrolyte replacement. My kiddos just discovered coconut water the other day and loved it. Absolutely loved it. We keep him in coconut milk but I don't know if it has similar qualities. I'm wondering where you get your coconut water since I haven't seen it many places. Seems to be pretty expensive as well...?

JakeS

Hey Gammaw, JakeS . Coconut water is expensive. There are a couple things to look for that makes it more affordable. The most obvious is to shop around, and buy in bulk. Between health food & grocery stores i can generally find at least one that has it on sale. Once i find a good deal i buy in bulk, usually a month worth at a time. If you cant find it on sale most health food stores will give you a ten % case discount. Secondly, there is a coconut water concentrate called coco-hydro. Much cheaper and dehydrated, this saves a lot of money, and lets you control concentration, and drink less. Finally, it is good to read the labels, compare, and then pick the one that gives you more bang for your buck. Different companies have diffrent concentrations. Hope this helps.
Ladybird, i have tried pedialyte. I cant palate it. I know some people add juice, or 7up which masks the taste.

LittleLab4CF

Super Moderator
My first coconut water was right in the crucible of the current craze, Malaysia. A friend and I were driving through the countryside and stopped at a juice stand. After a manic sales pitch we both bought a coconut water in the shell. Yeeuuckk! This warm saltwater tasted like crap if anything did.

I've known for a long time that my electrolyte imbalance typically involved potassium and magnesium over calcium and chloride. Gatorade is amazingly palatable and effective for replacing salt. It's especially amazing for a drink so monolithic in flavor.

Somebody posted about coconut water earlier this year and I checked it out. A cold, cold coconut water goes down pretty easy and there's more quality electrolytes than Gatorade. But, I too played with coconut water, Gatorade and juices to make my own blend.

Coconut water is the only electrolyte drink that has any significant potassium salts with 20% or more of daily RDA per liter. I advocate maximizing our daily intake of electrolyte salts and I appreciate the concern about too much potassium for some. Even Gatorade limits potassium to 2% RDA. Foods like potatoes, yams and bananas deliver several times the maximum value in form of food. Our digestive system receives excesses of many minerals and vitamins every day and yet it delivers just the right amount internally.

An important factor about any drink is the effect on the mouth and teeth. CF is famous for poor teeth. If malabsorption isn't bad enough, our saliva is low in amylase, our true cavity fighting agent. My lousy teeth are classic CF teeth and the world's best oral hygiene could be inadequate.

What you drink is less important than how you drink. My dentist of thirty years tells this anecdote, and it's true. A long time patient suddenly was a cavity farm, with no apparent reason. After several fillings and the prospect of them continuing, he'd quiz his patient looking for a reason for the downturn.

One time in describing his daily routine he mentioned nursing a cup of sweet tea over several hours each afternoon. This was the missing piece to the puzzle. Two cups of sweetened coffee or tea becomes problematic not when one is drank over half an hour but that sweet sip every twenty minutes for two hours or more.

I really like my big electrolyte drink every afternoon. A 24 ounce cold cup that's equal parts coconut water, Gatorade and juice is part of my daily hydration. I don't nurse sweet drinks anymore without having a bottle of water to chase it down, rinsing what's left of my teeth.

Frankly I would like to make my own electrolyte drink but this is not for amateurs. Bicycle shops and outdoor sporting goods stores carry drink powders that are the next best thing. Then there's the cost factor. Just being aware of our hydration needs is a big step.

LL