Why do people with cf take Prednisone?

LouLou

What scenerios likely mean a prednisone prescription is coming your way?

Do you have a certain type of infection, culture a certain bug, have a particular symptom you exhibit during an exacerbation, diagnosis of asthma?

I'm curious because I've never been put on prednisone.

LouLou

Do you have a certain type of infection, culture a certain bug, have a particular symptom you exhibit during an exacerbation, diagnosis of asthma?

LouLou

Marjolein

Why do people with cf take Predisone?

I have been on prednisone 2 times the last few months before i had my tx. Both times when an infection was acting up. Antibiotics weren't really doing anything.
But my doctor didn't want to put me on pred too soon and too much. She said it would make me feel better then i actually was, and that i would be doing to much so my body wouldn't get enough rest. So my body couldn't fight the infection properly. It was kind of a last resort..

Now, after my tx i'm on it all the time..

Marjolein

I have been on prednisone 2 times the last few months before i had my tx. Both times when an infection was acting up. Antibiotics weren't really doing anything.
But my doctor didn't want to put me on pred too soon and too much. She said it would make me feel better then i actually was, and that i would be doing to much so my body wouldn't get enough rest. So my body couldn't fight the infection properly. It was kind of a last resort..

Marjolein

mom2lillian

due to ABPA when your IGE levels get to high you have to take it until your levels get back down to about 1/2 what they are initially. It suppresses your bodies immune reaction.

mom2lillian

due to ABPA when your IGE levels get to high you have to take it until your levels get back down to about 1/2 what they are initially. It suppresses your bodies immune reaction.

mom2lillian

JazzysMom

I took it when my lungs were just so loaded down between the 2 strains of PA & MRSA at the time. It was to help ease things a bit more then what the O2, albeuterol every 4 hours, antibiotics and CPT did. Its a last resort for me since it really causes problems with sugars, bladder control etc. It served its purpose the time that I used it.

JazzysMom

I took it when my lungs were just so loaded down between the 2 strains of PA & MRSA at the time. It was to help ease things a bit more then what the O2, albeuterol every 4 hours, antibiotics and CPT did. Its a last resort for me since it really causes problems with sugars, bladder control etc. It served its purpose the time that I used it.

JazzysMom

coltsfan715

I was on prednisone alot as a young child - under the age of 10. I didn't use it really at all through my teens and was prescribed it again once I got into my 20s. When I have been given prednisone in recent years it has been to mainly help with respiratory inflammation. When I get bad flareups sometimes I get extremely tight and not o much wheezy as I feel I get stopped when I breathe in. I can breathe more but I just feel constricted I guess.

My old doc gave me prednisone maybe 2-3 times from the age of 21 to 24. I would be on it for a few weeks and that would be it. It does make my sugars go out of control, but it helps relieve the inflammation within about 24 hours of taking I feel like I can breathe better.

I have always thought that it was given as an anti inflammatory more than anything. It doesn't treat bacterial infections the way that antibiotics do, so I am guessing it is given more as an anti inflammatory. I may be wrong about that, but that is what some of my docs have told me or lead me to believe.

Take Care,
Lindsey

coltsfan715

I was on prednisone alot as a young child - under the age of 10. I didn't use it really at all through my teens and was prescribed it again once I got into my 20s. When I have been given prednisone in recent years it has been to mainly help with respiratory inflammation. When I get bad flareups sometimes I get extremely tight and not o much wheezy as I feel I get stopped when I breathe in. I can breathe more but I just feel constricted I guess.

My old doc gave me prednisone maybe 2-3 times from the age of 21 to 24. I would be on it for a few weeks and that would be it. It does make my sugars go out of control, but it helps relieve the inflammation within about 24 hours of taking I feel like I can breathe better.

I have always thought that it was given as an anti inflammatory more than anything. It doesn't treat bacterial infections the way that antibiotics do, so I am guessing it is given more as an anti inflammatory. I may be wrong about that, but that is what some of my docs have told me or lead me to believe.

Take Care,
Lindsey

coltsfan715

Take Care,
Lindsey

sue35

I have been on it non stop since I was 7. I have ABPA and my IGE levels have always been high. I used to take a lot more but now I take 10mg every other day except when I am sick. I never wheeze but when I am sick I feel like I am suffocating. The prednisone helps open me up.

sue35

I have been on it non stop since I was 7. I have ABPA and my IGE levels have always been high. I used to take a lot more but now I take 10mg every other day except when I am sick. I never wheeze but when I am sick I feel like I am suffocating. The prednisone helps open me up.

sue35

chrozzo

I was recently diagnosed with Crohns disease, and they then put me on prednisone...my cheeks are really chubby now, woohoo

chrozzo

I was recently diagnosed with Crohns disease, and they then put me on prednisone...my cheeks are really chubby now, woohoo