wondering why

tbw18

someone please shed some light on this, my son is 18, he currently is on iv for mycrobacterium abscessess, he is better but in the past few days if he has eaten and starts to cough, he will throw up, but only if he has eaten in the last hr, is this normal, most of the time when he starts to cough, he will gag and mucus comes out lots of it, this is new to us he never has been this sick before the bad bug, and i was just wondering if anyone has this bad bug or has had these same experiences when they were iv med. thanks for helping us, we go to the doctor tomorrow and i just wanted to be a little prepared as to what might be going on.

tbw18

someone please shed some light on this, my son is 18, he currently is on iv for mycrobacterium abscessess, he is better but in the past few days if he has eaten and starts to cough, he will throw up, but only if he has eaten in the last hr, is this normal, most of the time when he starts to cough, he will gag and mucus comes out lots of it, this is new to us he never has been this sick before the bad bug, and i was just wondering if anyone has this bad bug or has had these same experiences when they were iv med. thanks for helping us, we go to the doctor tomorrow and i just wanted to be a little prepared as to what might be going on.

tbw18

Jane

Digital opinion leader
Hi,

There are a few on the site with the same bug. My sons had a similar thing and I was able to get some good advice. Here is another site that is very helpful with mycobacteria.

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.ntminfo.com/ShowForum.aspx?ForumID=5
">http://forums.ntminfo.com/ShowForum.aspx?ForumID=5
</a>
How long has he been on IVs? Sometimes having all that mucus coming out is a signt hat things are moving better. The IVs may be working on it. Hypertonic Saline helped when my kids had tons of mucus to get up. It did make them gag and throw up, but bringing up all that stuff was so helpful.

Hang in there. CHeck out that site and let us know what the docs say.

Jane

Digital opinion leader
Hi,

There are a few on the site with the same bug. My sons had a similar thing and I was able to get some good advice. Here is another site that is very helpful with mycobacteria.

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.ntminfo.com/ShowForum.aspx?ForumID=5
</a>
How long has he been on IVs? Sometimes having all that mucus coming out is a signt hat things are moving better. The IVs may be working on it. Hypertonic Saline helped when my kids had tons of mucus to get up. It did make them gag and throw up, but bringing up all that stuff was so helpful.

Jane

Digital opinion leader
Hi,

</a>

tbw18

thank you so much for your reply, he has been on iv 4 weeks, the first week we had a reaction to one of the antibiotics, we stopped it, then we had fevers 101-102 everyday, he had c-diff, we took flagyl fevers are gone so the last two weeks are really his time on iv that counts i guess, i have been so upset and cried everyday at work or home whenever i was alone, i never cry in front of him i want to know we are going to get through this i will check out the site, again thank you, it meant so much for me to have someone who understands what we are going through.

tbw18

thank you so much for your reply, he has been on iv 4 weeks, the first week we had a reaction to one of the antibiotics, we stopped it, then we had fevers 101-102 everyday, he had c-diff, we took flagyl fevers are gone so the last two weeks are really his time on iv that counts i guess, i have been so upset and cried everyday at work or home whenever i was alone, i never cry in front of him i want to know we are going to get through this i will check out the site, again thank you, it meant so much for me to have someone who understands what we are going through.

tbw18

deanna

Well I can only speak for myself. I do not have the same bugs that your son has, but I will throw-up after I eat if I cough real hard. And usually with any increased infection the "junk" in our lungs gets even stickier and harder to get up. So with that comes a lot more coughing and having to really do the deep hard squeeze coughing that will cause my food and anything else to come up. Not pretty and I am sure scary for you to watch. But as you said getting all of that up is the name of the game. Good luck with your son. Even though he is 18, I am sure does not make it any easier to watch "your little guy" seem like he is struggling. Good luck with the appt.

deanna

Well I can only speak for myself. I do not have the same bugs that your son has, but I will throw-up after I eat if I cough real hard. And usually with any increased infection the "junk" in our lungs gets even stickier and harder to get up. So with that comes a lot more coughing and having to really do the deep hard squeeze coughing that will cause my food and anything else to come up. Not pretty and I am sure scary for you to watch. But as you said getting all of that up is the name of the game. Good luck with your son. Even though he is 18, I am sure does not make it any easier to watch "your little guy" seem like he is struggling. Good luck with the appt.

deanna

tbw18

thank you, I am so glad I have joined this site, I have felt so out of touch because no one can really help me with some of my questions for my son, I really appreciate the advice, and the concern you all seem to share here, what a great site this is. I feel better about going tomorrow for our checkup, it doesnt make things seem so so bad for him. I will reply tomorrow as soon as we can get back home. thank you again for helping us get some insite on this.

the sun rises and sets in the eyes of tbw.

tbw18

thank you, I am so glad I have joined this site, I have felt so out of touch because no one can really help me with some of my questions for my son, I really appreciate the advice, and the concern you all seem to share here, what a great site this is. I feel better about going tomorrow for our checkup, it doesnt make things seem so so bad for him. I will reply tomorrow as soon as we can get back home. thank you again for helping us get some insite on this.

tbw18