Working Moms

Jane

Digital opinion leader
I'm a teacher too and have worked since my older son was 4 months old.

You have said several important things about you working. First, because you are a teacher you have excellent hours and vacations and can be at home with your child most of the time! Second, because you are a teacher and can get a substitute, it is easier to take days off for your child's appointments and illnesses. Third, you have a trusted care-giver. Of course, nothing is exactly the same as the mom, but having someone at your home providing the same care and routine is important.

For me, working helped me with <i>my</i> mental health. Caring for sick children is taxing both physically and emotionally. Being away from my kids for a short time during the day actually helped me have more energy and patience for them (it sounds weird, but its true). I am also fortunate to have a husband who is an equal partner in the care of our boys.

Its not easy, but it does work. Please don't feel guilty for trying to do the best for your family. Good luck!

Jane

Digital opinion leader

You have said several important things about you working. First, because you are a teacher you have excellent hours and vacations and can be at home with your child most of the time! Second, because you are a teacher and can get a substitute, it is easier to take days off for your child's appointments and illnesses. Third, you have a trusted care-giver. Of course, nothing is exactly the same as the mom, but having someone at your home providing the same care and routine is important.

For me, working helped me with <i>my</i> mental health. Caring for sick children is taxing both physically and emotionally. Being away from my kids for a short time during the day actually helped me have more energy and patience for them (it sounds weird, but its true). I am also fortunate to have a husband who is an equal partner in the care of our boys.

Its not easy, but it does work. Please don't feel guilty for trying to do the best for your family. Good luck!

Jane

Digital opinion leader

Jane

Digital opinion leader

Jane

Digital opinion leader
<br />
<br />You have said several important things about you working. First, because you are a teacher you have excellent hours and vacations and can be at home with your child most of the time! Second, because you are a teacher and can get a substitute, it is easier to take days off for your child's appointments and illnesses. Third, you have a trusted care-giver. Of course, nothing is exactly the same as the mom, but having someone at your home providing the same care and routine is important.
<br />
<br />For me, working helped me with <i>my</i> mental health. Caring for sick children is taxing both physically and emotionally. Being away from my kids for a short time during the day actually helped me have more energy and patience for them (it sounds weird, but its true). I am also fortunate to have a husband who is an equal partner in the care of our boys.
<br />
<br />Its not easy, but it does work. Please don't feel guilty for trying to do the best for your family. Good luck!

mariahsmommy

I just wanted to say that I am glad this was posted. I am about to start school full time right now with my 14 month old. I am fortunate right now because of student loans to not have to work, but I am nervous about going back to school full time. I only have 5 semesters left, but I am worried how it will affect my daughter.

But as usual, you guys put me at ease. I know it will be nice to have a well deserved mental break. As you guys know, it is so mentally draining sometimes to deal with all of this CF stuff. I know school is mentally draining too, but I need some independence and a life outside of being a caregiver and thinking about cf 24/7.

mariahsmommy

I just wanted to say that I am glad this was posted. I am about to start school full time right now with my 14 month old. I am fortunate right now because of student loans to not have to work, but I am nervous about going back to school full time. I only have 5 semesters left, but I am worried how it will affect my daughter.

But as usual, you guys put me at ease. I know it will be nice to have a well deserved mental break. As you guys know, it is so mentally draining sometimes to deal with all of this CF stuff. I know school is mentally draining too, but I need some independence and a life outside of being a caregiver and thinking about cf 24/7.

mariahsmommy

mariahsmommy

mariahsmommy

<br />
<br />But as usual, you guys put me at ease. I know it will be nice to have a well deserved mental break. As you guys know, it is so mentally draining sometimes to deal with all of this CF stuff. I know school is mentally draining too, but I need some independence and a life outside of being a caregiver and thinking about cf 24/7.

enaj

Don't feel badly about working. I love my work and I love daycare. My son attends daycare center and there are 16 other 3 year olds in his class. He will be so ready when school starts and has already been exposed to the germy world. Previously, I always thought I'd want to stay home full time but I find I have much more balance in my life with being at work. I'm a single mum and I appreciate the break during the day. I love picking up my guy and the end of the day, and the days we spend together. I'm lucky that my work is flexible and I have grandparents for back up.

enaj

Don't feel badly about working. I love my work and I love daycare. My son attends daycare center and there are 16 other 3 year olds in his class. He will be so ready when school starts and has already been exposed to the germy world. Previously, I always thought I'd want to stay home full time but I find I have much more balance in my life with being at work. I'm a single mum and I appreciate the break during the day. I love picking up my guy and the end of the day, and the days we spend together. I'm lucky that my work is flexible and I have grandparents for back up.

enaj

enaj

enaj

oz2275

I also work full-time... when we got DD's diagnosis my first thought was, I can't work, she can't be in daycare. Our pulmonologist put me at ease with my daycare concerns. Then I realized that I carry our health insurance - without my job, we would have much larger medical bills that we couldn't afford without me working. We are fortunate that I have a good-paying job so that we are not sending every dime of my income to daycare. I do actually contribute to the financial benefit of the family. That was important to me - I wasn't going to work if it wasn't going to benefit the family.

We are also fortunate that I have a wonderful home daycare which my son had been attending since he was an infant. She had a half-brother with CF so she was aware of most of the health concerns of my DD & is very committed to her treatments. We have taught her how to do the CPT & she already had a nebulizer. She is willing to do any treatments Abby might need while in her care. She is also aware of Abby's susceptibility to colds/flus. She is very vigilant of what the other kids are doing & how they are feeling. She encourages other parents to let her know when the kids are sick & to get their kids to the doctor for vaccinations & treatment of colds, etc.

I always thought I would be a stay-at-home mom, but in today's world, that is very difficult. I enjoy my time with adults while I'm at work. I know both of my kids are well cared for. Kids are going to get colds/flus, daycare kids just get the earlier & build up their immune system before they get to school. I have seen in my friends' kids, those that stayed home, miss more school once they start, those in daycare tended to get sick when they were younger & miss less school later.

Sounds like you have a good support system while you are working. My kids have really thrived in day care & have been able to have more opportunities than they would have had if I had stayed home. They have made friends that they would not have met without day care & we've been able to do more with them since we can afford more opportunities to get out & enjoy the community we are in.

Good luck! The first few weeks will be tough, but be sure to do things for yourself in your time away. It is important that we CF parents take care of ourselves too!

Ann
mom to Caleb (3 1/2, no CF) & Abby (10 months, with CF, diagnosed at 10 days old)

oz2275

I also work full-time... when we got DD's diagnosis my first thought was, I can't work, she can't be in daycare. Our pulmonologist put me at ease with my daycare concerns. Then I realized that I carry our health insurance - without my job, we would have much larger medical bills that we couldn't afford without me working. We are fortunate that I have a good-paying job so that we are not sending every dime of my income to daycare. I do actually contribute to the financial benefit of the family. That was important to me - I wasn't going to work if it wasn't going to benefit the family.

We are also fortunate that I have a wonderful home daycare which my son had been attending since he was an infant. She had a half-brother with CF so she was aware of most of the health concerns of my DD & is very committed to her treatments. We have taught her how to do the CPT & she already had a nebulizer. She is willing to do any treatments Abby might need while in her care. She is also aware of Abby's susceptibility to colds/flus. She is very vigilant of what the other kids are doing & how they are feeling. She encourages other parents to let her know when the kids are sick & to get their kids to the doctor for vaccinations & treatment of colds, etc.

I always thought I would be a stay-at-home mom, but in today's world, that is very difficult. I enjoy my time with adults while I'm at work. I know both of my kids are well cared for. Kids are going to get colds/flus, daycare kids just get the earlier & build up their immune system before they get to school. I have seen in my friends' kids, those that stayed home, miss more school once they start, those in daycare tended to get sick when they were younger & miss less school later.

Sounds like you have a good support system while you are working. My kids have really thrived in day care & have been able to have more opportunities than they would have had if I had stayed home. They have made friends that they would not have met without day care & we've been able to do more with them since we can afford more opportunities to get out & enjoy the community we are in.

Good luck! The first few weeks will be tough, but be sure to do things for yourself in your time away. It is important that we CF parents take care of ourselves too!

Ann
mom to Caleb (3 1/2, no CF) & Abby (10 months, with CF, diagnosed at 10 days old)

oz2275

Ann

oz2275

Ann

oz2275

<br />
<br />We are also fortunate that I have a wonderful home daycare which my son had been attending since he was an infant. She had a half-brother with CF so she was aware of most of the health concerns of my DD & is very committed to her treatments. We have taught her how to do the CPT & she already had a nebulizer. She is willing to do any treatments Abby might need while in her care. She is also aware of Abby's susceptibility to colds/flus. She is very vigilant of what the other kids are doing & how they are feeling. She encourages other parents to let her know when the kids are sick & to get their kids to the doctor for vaccinations & treatment of colds, etc.
<br />
<br />I always thought I would be a stay-at-home mom, but in today's world, that is very difficult. I enjoy my time with adults while I'm at work. I know both of my kids are well cared for. Kids are going to get colds/flus, daycare kids just get the earlier & build up their immune system before they get to school. I have seen in my friends' kids, those that stayed home, miss more school once they start, those in daycare tended to get sick when they were younger & miss less school later.
<br />
<br />Sounds like you have a good support system while you are working. My kids have really thrived in day care & have been able to have more opportunities than they would have had if I had stayed home. They have made friends that they would not have met without day care & we've been able to do more with them since we can afford more opportunities to get out & enjoy the community we are in.
<br />
<br />Good luck! The first few weeks will be tough, but be sure to do things for yourself in your time away. It is important that we CF parents take care of ourselves too!
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />Ann
<br />mom to Caleb (3 1/2, no CF) & Abby (10 months, with CF, diagnosed at 10 days old)