working/school

blindhearted

I have CF but am not an RN, but my DH is.

As the other two post above me points out. You do get paid well, there is job security (if you had to move due to your child's health, you would have more job options available), depending on where you work benefits are usually good, you can set a pretty flexable schedule (DH works 11am - 11pm; Tues - Fri), You can either work with a home nursing service or at a hospital (DH works in the recovery room, previous 6 yrs in the Emergency Room), Pay is really good.

And Jenn makes a good point. They will fail you for missing too many days, and hardly any exceptions are taken into concideration. DH had to go 3 hrs away one time for clinicals. We were dating at the time when he was in nursing school, and it was very hard on our relationship (long periods without seeing each other due to school and work, hardly talked, etc).

If you are afraid of coming home and spreading germs to your CFer, you can do what my DH does, he goes straight to take a shower when he comes home. No hugs, kisses or anything like that. He puts his work clothes in a separate laundry basket and washes them separate from the rest of our clothes. When we got our new house, we also had 2 showers installed in the master bath, his and hers. We were a little more strict about no contact when he work in the ER Dept vs the recovery room. He also tries to stay away from taking care of patients whom have things that high risk to me and would be dangerous to bring home, like TB.

blindhearted

As the other two post above me points out. You do get paid well, there is job security (if you had to move due to your child's health, you would have more job options available), depending on where you work benefits are usually good, you can set a pretty flexable schedule (DH works 11am - 11pm; Tues - Fri), You can either work with a home nursing service or at a hospital (DH works in the recovery room, previous 6 yrs in the Emergency Room), Pay is really good.

And Jenn makes a good point. They will fail you for missing too many days, and hardly any exceptions are taken into concideration. DH had to go 3 hrs away one time for clinicals. We were dating at the time when he was in nursing school, and it was very hard on our relationship (long periods without seeing each other due to school and work, hardly talked, etc).

If you are afraid of coming home and spreading germs to your CFer, you can do what my DH does, he goes straight to take a shower when he comes home. No hugs, kisses or anything like that. He puts his work clothes in a separate laundry basket and washes them separate from the rest of our clothes. When we got our new house, we also had 2 showers installed in the master bath, his and hers. We were a little more strict about no contact when he work in the ER Dept vs the recovery room. He also tries to stay away from taking care of patients whom have things that high risk to me and would be dangerous to bring home, like TB.

blindhearted

blindhearted

blindhearted

<br />
<br />As the other two post above me points out. You do get paid well, there is job security (if you had to move due to your child's health, you would have more job options available), depending on where you work benefits are usually good, you can set a pretty flexable schedule (DH works 11am - 11pm; Tues - Fri), You can either work with a home nursing service or at a hospital (DH works in the recovery room, previous 6 yrs in the Emergency Room), Pay is really good.
<br />
<br />And Jenn makes a good point. They will fail you for missing too many days, and hardly any exceptions are taken into concideration. DH had to go 3 hrs away one time for clinicals. We were dating at the time when he was in nursing school, and it was very hard on our relationship (long periods without seeing each other due to school and work, hardly talked, etc).
<br />
<br />If you are afraid of coming home and spreading germs to your CFer, you can do what my DH does, he goes straight to take a shower when he comes home. No hugs, kisses or anything like that. He puts his work clothes in a separate laundry basket and washes them separate from the rest of our clothes. When we got our new house, we also had 2 showers installed in the master bath, his and hers. We were a little more strict about no contact when he work in the ER Dept vs the recovery room. He also tries to stay away from taking care of patients whom have things that high risk to me and would be dangerous to bring home, like TB.

JennifersHope

I do the same thing with Germs and not bringing them into my house. I strip totally naked in my garage, leave my clothes in a hamper out there and go directly into the shower... and scrub.... seriously germs are in your hair everywhere..

I also had clinicals that were far away, mine was two hours and we had to be there to days in a row, so I would sleep in cheesy gross cheap hotel, (or I did till I got sick from one) other wise I couldn't get any sleep, by the time I got home, it would be 7 pm and I would have to leave my house by 5 am the next day to get there on time. It was hard but I managed.

Danyell, I am so curious about your husband and his job, I bet the recovery room is so much cleaner then the ER, I wonder if the pace is slower as well. I think that may be an option I am going to look into.. I can still use all my advanced training PALS< ACLS< etc... and not run the risks like I am running.. I am not sure though, it may be just as insane.. I would love to ask your husband what he thought

Anyway....

JennifersHope

I do the same thing with Germs and not bringing them into my house. I strip totally naked in my garage, leave my clothes in a hamper out there and go directly into the shower... and scrub.... seriously germs are in your hair everywhere..

I also had clinicals that were far away, mine was two hours and we had to be there to days in a row, so I would sleep in cheesy gross cheap hotel, (or I did till I got sick from one) other wise I couldn't get any sleep, by the time I got home, it would be 7 pm and I would have to leave my house by 5 am the next day to get there on time. It was hard but I managed.

Danyell, I am so curious about your husband and his job, I bet the recovery room is so much cleaner then the ER, I wonder if the pace is slower as well. I think that may be an option I am going to look into.. I can still use all my advanced training PALS< ACLS< etc... and not run the risks like I am running.. I am not sure though, it may be just as insane.. I would love to ask your husband what he thought

Anyway....

JennifersHope

Anyway....

JennifersHope

Anyway....

JennifersHope

<br />
<br />I also had clinicals that were far away, mine was two hours and we had to be there to days in a row, so I would sleep in cheesy gross cheap hotel, (or I did till I got sick from one) other wise I couldn't get any sleep, by the time I got home, it would be 7 pm and I would have to leave my house by 5 am the next day to get there on time. It was hard but I managed.
<br />
<br />Danyell, I am so curious about your husband and his job, I bet the recovery room is so much cleaner then the ER, I wonder if the pace is slower as well. I think that may be an option I am going to look into.. I can still use all my advanced training PALS< ACLS< etc... and not run the risks like I am running.. I am not sure though, it may be just as insane.. I would love to ask your husband what he thought
<br />
<br />Anyway....

Rebjane

Super Moderator
About the germ issue as well; depending where you work co-workers can be very supportive. Yesterday, when I was at work a patient they were ruling out for TB should have been mine but the day nurse (before I came in ) advocated having someone else take the patient , she knows about Maggie's CF.

Rebjane

Super Moderator
About the germ issue as well; depending where you work co-workers can be very supportive. Yesterday, when I was at work a patient they were ruling out for TB should have been mine but the day nurse (before I came in ) advocated having someone else take the patient , she knows about Maggie's CF.

Rebjane

Super Moderator

Rebjane

Super Moderator

Rebjane

Super Moderator