Would it be wise...

Deeonlyone

Would it be a bad idea to try to concieve with a 60% fev1%? Im not too familiar with what it all means I just know my doctor told me im 60%.

Deeonlyone

Would it be a bad idea to try to concieve with a 60% fev1%? Im not too familiar with what it all means I just know my doctor told me im 60%.

Deeonlyone

Deeonlyone

Deeonlyone

rubyroselee

Hi Diane,

Usually the general rule is that if you're under 50% they don't want CF women to carry a baby because it's too risky. I know of a couple people on here who have carried babies with similar FEV1's as you. The best idea would be to contact your CF doctor about your ideas of carrying a baby with your current health status and see what they say. Everyone is different and has different needs, so it's probably a good idea to start there.

That's what I did. I didn't even know I could carry a child, even though my FEV1 was in the 90's. I still thought it was off limits and too risky. But then after speaking to my doctor we figured out that it would be ok for me to do. Things worked out fine...but it took quite a toll on my body, especially afterwards. So it's all about what you want, how much you want it, and whether it's worth it to you.

rubyroselee

Hi Diane,

Usually the general rule is that if you're under 50% they don't want CF women to carry a baby because it's too risky. I know of a couple people on here who have carried babies with similar FEV1's as you. The best idea would be to contact your CF doctor about your ideas of carrying a baby with your current health status and see what they say. Everyone is different and has different needs, so it's probably a good idea to start there.

That's what I did. I didn't even know I could carry a child, even though my FEV1 was in the 90's. I still thought it was off limits and too risky. But then after speaking to my doctor we figured out that it would be ok for me to do. Things worked out fine...but it took quite a toll on my body, especially afterwards. So it's all about what you want, how much you want it, and whether it's worth it to you.

rubyroselee

Hi Diane,

rubyroselee

Hi Diane,

rubyroselee

Hi Diane,
<br />
<br />Usually the general rule is that if you're under 50% they don't want CF women to carry a baby because it's too risky. I know of a couple people on here who have carried babies with similar FEV1's as you. The best idea would be to contact your CF doctor about your ideas of carrying a baby with your current health status and see what they say. Everyone is different and has different needs, so it's probably a good idea to start there.
<br />
<br />That's what I did. I didn't even know I could carry a child, even though my FEV1 was in the 90's. I still thought it was off limits and too risky. But then after speaking to my doctor we figured out that it would be ok for me to do. Things worked out fine...but it took quite a toll on my body, especially afterwards. So it's all about what you want, how much you want it, and whether it's worth it to you.

mamaScarlett

What I've heard from several cf centers is that a fev1 at or abve 70% is the recommendation.
But theres alot of other factors that play into that. Theres patients with pfts in the 80s-90s that are always 'sick'-needing ivs, pfts bouncing around alot.
Are you a solid 60...Meaning are you stable...
Think about how often you catch colds, need ivs, ect. If its often then think about how vulnerable you will be if you are just holding 60 now, get sick while preg or caring for newborn...your lungs will be even more vulnerable then.
However some patients are solid even with lower numbers. My doctor has said this before. Some people just have pfts in the 60s, they are extremely compliant-but they stay in the 60s-they live well, never exacerbate, ect. So you could say that a patient like that is really stable.
Maybe you're one of those...
Compare your last preg to now. Think about how your preg affected your cf. Did you numbers go down with your pregnancy...
I never knew that preg was even an option for me, for all cfers, period actually. My pfts were in the 50s and 60s and it took finding the right clinic to guide me and alot of hard work. Luckily my pfts went up to the 70s and I had a great easy pregnancy. It didn't take a toll on my body.
But its alot more work for me to maintain my health now.

I'm glad that I did it that way bc for me personally, I could have gone into it with lower numbers and been hit hard with something.
Generally your last pregnancy should indicate how you'll do with a second one.
Its a process that should be reviewed and planned with your docs.
Best Wishes on what you decide! I know how it feels to want another one-for me the decision to have a 2nd was even harder than the decision to have my first.

mamaScarlett

What I've heard from several cf centers is that a fev1 at or abve 70% is the recommendation.
But theres alot of other factors that play into that. Theres patients with pfts in the 80s-90s that are always 'sick'-needing ivs, pfts bouncing around alot.
Think about how often you catch colds, need ivs, ect. If its often then think about how vulnerable you will be if you are just holding 60 now, get sick while preg or caring for newborn...your lungs will be even more vulnerable then.
However some patients are solid even with lower numbers. My doctor has said this before. Some people just have pfts in the 60s, they are extremely compliant-but they stay in the 60s-they live well, never exacerbate, ect. So you could say that a patient like that is really stable.
Compare your last preg to now. Think about how your preg affected your cf. Did you numbers go down with your pregnancy...
I never knew that preg was even an option for me, for all cfers, period actually. My pfts were in the 50s and 60s and it took finding the right clinic to guide me and alot of hard work. Luckily my pfts went up to the 70s and I had a great easy pregnancy. It didn't take a toll on my body.

I'm glad that I did it that way bc for me personally, I could have gone into it with lower numbers and been hit hard with something.
Best Wishes on what you decide! I know how it feels to want another one-for me the decision to have a 2nd was even harder than the decision to have my first.

mamaScarlett

mamaScarlett

mamaScarlett

<br />But theres alot of other factors that play into that. Theres patients with pfts in the 80s-90s that are always 'sick'-needing ivs, pfts bouncing around alot.
<br />Are you a solid 60...Meaning are you stable...
<br />Think about how often you catch colds, need ivs, ect. If its often then think about how vulnerable you will be if you are just holding 60 now, get sick while preg or caring for newborn...your lungs will be even more vulnerable then.
<br />However some patients are solid even with lower numbers. My doctor has said this before. Some people just have pfts in the 60s, they are extremely compliant-but they stay in the 60s-they live well, never exacerbate, ect. So you could say that a patient like that is really stable.
<br />Maybe you're one of those...
<br />Compare your last preg to now. Think about how your preg affected your cf. Did you numbers go down with your pregnancy...
<br />I never knew that preg was even an option for me, for all cfers, period actually. My pfts were in the 50s and 60s and it took finding the right clinic to guide me and alot of hard work. Luckily my pfts went up to the 70s and I had a great easy pregnancy. It didn't take a toll on my body.
<br />But its alot more work for me to maintain my health now.
<br />
<br />I'm glad that I did it that way bc for me personally, I could have gone into it with lower numbers and been hit hard with something.
<br />Generally your last pregnancy should indicate how you'll do with a second one.
<br />Its a process that should be reviewed and planned with your docs.
<br />Best Wishes on what you decide! I know how it feels to want another one-for me the decision to have a 2nd was even harder than the decision to have my first.