would love support

JORDYSMOM

Hi Carey & welcome. I know how afraid and overwhelmed you are. All of us here have gone through it, so you will find much support here. Try to concentrate on the positive. You now have a diagnosis, so you can now make a plan to improve your son's health. Getting the proper treatments should make a huge difference in how he feels. Let us know how his appointment goes on Friday.

Stacey

JORDYSMOM

Hi Carey & welcome. I know how afraid and overwhelmed you are. All of us here have gone through it, so you will find much support here. Try to concentrate on the positive. You now have a diagnosis, so you can now make a plan to improve your son's health. Getting the proper treatments should make a huge difference in how he feels. Let us know how his appointment goes on Friday.

Stacey

JORDYSMOM

Stacey

JORDYSMOM

Stacey

JORDYSMOM

Stacey

R

Rickiesmom

Stacey,

I am amazed by the support I've received here, thank you for taking the time to write. Actually, today was a good day so far! The routine went very smoothly this morning before school, I'm certainly getting more organized. I am blessed to have older children, who are understanding and love their brother so much they help with him and make it easier on me and my husband. Not that I don't worry about them as well in terms of the time I'm n ot spending with them. I'm sure that will come with time (getting used to this) And truth be told Rickie's still Rickie he's been sick pretty much his whole life-we just have a diagnosis now. (and a million things to do everyday to keep him healthy)

I will let you know how his appointment goes Friday I hope his numbers are up! The nurse did mention to me yesterday that they m ight start IV meds. Is that a common occurance for kids with cf? Apparently they don't like that he's coughing still at night. Rickie's coughed through the night his whole life! Thanks again for any insight and suggestions you can give me.

Carey

R

Rickiesmom

Stacey,

I am amazed by the support I've received here, thank you for taking the time to write. Actually, today was a good day so far! The routine went very smoothly this morning before school, I'm certainly getting more organized. I am blessed to have older children, who are understanding and love their brother so much they help with him and make it easier on me and my husband. Not that I don't worry about them as well in terms of the time I'm n ot spending with them. I'm sure that will come with time (getting used to this) And truth be told Rickie's still Rickie he's been sick pretty much his whole life-we just have a diagnosis now. (and a million things to do everyday to keep him healthy)

I will let you know how his appointment goes Friday I hope his numbers are up! The nurse did mention to me yesterday that they m ight start IV meds. Is that a common occurance for kids with cf? Apparently they don't like that he's coughing still at night. Rickie's coughed through the night his whole life! Thanks again for any insight and suggestions you can give me.

Carey

R

Rickiesmom

Stacey,

Carey

R

Rickiesmom

Stacey,

Carey

R

Rickiesmom

Stacey,

Carey

S

sdelorenzo

Welcome!! Sorry to hear about Rickie's diagnosis. But as you mentioned he has been dealing with this all of his life, at least now they can try and solve some of his problems. I also have a 6 yr old with cf. Night time coughing has been a big problem for her too. Yes, IV's are often giving if a cough has been going on too long. My daughter had her first (called tune-up) in August. She started pft's last year and they were always in the 60's. After her tune-up, they rose to 95%. So the tune-up really helped and her coughing did get better.

One other suggestion - take him to a GI dr as well to see if he has reflux. He most likely will need a probe to see how many times he is refluxing during the day and night. He could be refluxing a lot at night making him cough and also possibly aspirating into his lungs. Prevacid is also a good drug to help with this. Most cf kids are on some type of reflux medication even if they don't have reflux. It helps the enzymes work better. Even though I didn't think my daughter had reflux, her probe last year showed really bad reflux especially at night. She ended up having a procedure called Nissan Fundoplication which helps eliminate this problem. Her cough is much better after the procedure. Something else that has stopped my daughter's night time coughing is an occasional prescription for prednisolone.
Sharon, mom of Sophia, 6 and Jack, 4 both with cf

S

sdelorenzo

Welcome!! Sorry to hear about Rickie's diagnosis. But as you mentioned he has been dealing with this all of his life, at least now they can try and solve some of his problems. I also have a 6 yr old with cf. Night time coughing has been a big problem for her too. Yes, IV's are often giving if a cough has been going on too long. My daughter had her first (called tune-up) in August. She started pft's last year and they were always in the 60's. After her tune-up, they rose to 95%. So the tune-up really helped and her coughing did get better.

One other suggestion - take him to a GI dr as well to see if he has reflux. He most likely will need a probe to see how many times he is refluxing during the day and night. He could be refluxing a lot at night making him cough and also possibly aspirating into his lungs. Prevacid is also a good drug to help with this. Most cf kids are on some type of reflux medication even if they don't have reflux. It helps the enzymes work better. Even though I didn't think my daughter had reflux, her probe last year showed really bad reflux especially at night. She ended up having a procedure called Nissan Fundoplication which helps eliminate this problem. Her cough is much better after the procedure. Something else that has stopped my daughter's night time coughing is an occasional prescription for prednisolone.

S

sdelorenzo

S

sdelorenzo

S

sdelorenzo

R

Rickiesmom

Sharon,

Again thanks for your advice, i will bring up your suggestions on friday. My husband's on prevacid, didn't think of the correlation-it's interesting how everything starts making sense! (symptoms and all) Take care and all the best to you and your family.

Carey

R

Rickiesmom

Sharon,

Again thanks for your advice, i will bring up your suggestions on friday. My husband's on prevacid, didn't think of the correlation-it's interesting how everything starts making sense! (symptoms and all) Take care and all the best to you and your family.

Carey

R

Rickiesmom

Sharon,

Carey

R

Rickiesmom

Sharon,

Carey

R

Rickiesmom

Sharon,

Carey