WWYD

Fran

Maybe the coach does not want to be near your daughter, she could be at risk herself. Has she been asked her opinion?

Fran

Maybe the coach does not want to be near your daughter, she could be at risk herself. Has she been asked her opinion?

bluebelle

As the mom of a very active teenaged CF'er, my child would not be coached or taught by someone who I know has CF. Trust me, your child's CF can change very quickly. I would not roll the dice on this particular situation. It is naive to believe that neither the child nor teacher has any bugs growing.

On a side note, I would be very concerned if our CF doctor did not caution against contact. I would take this as a sign that the clinic would be lax regarding infection control.

bluebelle

As the mom of a very active teenaged CF'er, my child would not be coached or taught by someone who I know has CF. Trust me, your child's CF can change very quickly. I would not roll the dice on this particular situation. It is naive to believe that neither the child nor teacher has any bugs growing.

On a side note, I would be very concerned if our CF doctor did not caution against contact. I would take this as a sign that the clinic would be lax regarding infection control.

rcq925

My daughter is 8 years old and involved in lots of activities as well (Cheerleading, Softball, ect.) There is no way that I would even chance it exposing her willingly and knowingly to another person with CF. There is just no good reason to do that. Just my opinion.

rcq925

My daughter is 8 years old and involved in lots of activities as well (Cheerleading, Softball, ect.) There is no way that I would even chance it exposing her willingly and knowingly to another person with CF. There is just no good reason to do that. Just my opinion.

imagine04

While I want to say don't keep your kid in a bubble I think there are exceptions to this... one would be knowingly exposing your child to an adult that has more then likely cultured bugs that your child hasn't. "I" personally would never do this, however, every decision IS a personal decision. I actually would never allow my child to be around another CF'er - period. When he's 18 and has to take control of his own life then he can make decisions that may effect his health but until then I am responsible for his health and will do my best to keep these nasty bugs out of his lungs. The last thing I ever want to do is be the reason for a decline in his health by knowingly exposing him to something that may do more harm then good.

imagine04

While I want to say don't keep your kid in a bubble I think there are exceptions to this... one would be knowingly exposing your child to an adult that has more then likely cultured bugs that your child hasn't. "I" personally would never do this, however, every decision IS a personal decision. I actually would never allow my child to be around another CF'er - period. When he's 18 and has to take control of his own life then he can make decisions that may effect his health but until then I am responsible for his health and will do my best to keep these nasty bugs out of his lungs. The last thing I ever want to do is be the reason for a decline in his health by knowingly exposing him to something that may do more harm then good.

musclemania70

this is where you have to be a parent and tell your child what is best for her. she will be sad if she can't take lessons, but in the end, YOU have to live with the consequences. i would not put my child at risk if it was me.
there are plenty of other activities and classes or teachers who would be willing to make the necessary adjustments.
don't be pulled into the 'i feel bad for her so I want to let her do this'. be the parent and make the decision to protect your child the best way you know how.

musclemania70

this is where you have to be a parent and tell your child what is best for her. she will be sad if she can't take lessons, but in the end, YOU have to live with the consequences. i would not put my child at risk if it was me.
there are plenty of other activities and classes or teachers who would be willing to make the necessary adjustments.
don't be pulled into the 'i feel bad for her so I want to let her do this'. be the parent and make the decision to protect your child the best way you know how.

scarecrow

If working w/ the teacher w/ CF is going to keep her doing gymnastics then as long as both of them are aware of the need to take care of each other it seems like a good thing. It would be worse to have her quit doing gymnastics than to have her around the teacher IF both of them are healthy. Just my opinion but the worst thing I ever did was to stop getting a lot of exercise.

scarecrow

If working w/ the teacher w/ CF is going to keep her doing gymnastics then as long as both of them are aware of the need to take care of each other it seems like a good thing. It would be worse to have her quit doing gymnastics than to have her around the teacher IF both of them are healthy. Just my opinion but the worst thing I ever did was to stop getting a lot of exercise.

athanasia

I know that others may disagree with me but I believe that your mental health and happiness is half the battle. I dealt with depression issues and other things when I was younger and going to CF camp (when it was still around) helped me a lot by letting me meet others. This forum can do that as well but it isn't the same. I am a people person and know that people that I care about mean everything to me. I know that just going outside my front door, I can catch half a dozen bugs and things. I go to school and I know that other CFers don't wear shirts or have tatoos that say 'I have CF stay away from me' so I take a risk everyday going to the grocery store, school, the library, anywhere there is people. My CF friends made me feel better mentally and even when they had MRSA and Cepacia I didn't catch it. I was so much healthier. They all passed away when I was in high school and that was very hard for me but I feel better to have known them and spent time with them. I caught cepatia many years later while in college I might add. People tried to keep me from my grandfather when he was dying because they didn't want me to catch anything but it meant more to me to be there with him and spend that time with him than anything else. I used caution and washed and wore masks and everything on these occasions that I was around them all but it meant more to me to be around them than not. My outlook on life is simple - it is short and our hand has been dealt but its up to you how you play it. I find my happiness from the people I love and I would rather have a shorter life surrounded by those people than a longer one without them. I think because I took as much care of my mental and emotional health, that is partly why I am still here today. Just my 2 cents and as I said others may disagree but that is how I feel. My response is to talk with the teacher, see how she feels and if the feeling is mutual, talk about precautions BOTH your daughter and the teacher can take to keep each other healthy and stay in each other's lives.

athanasia

I know that others may disagree with me but I believe that your mental health and happiness is half the battle. I dealt with depression issues and other things when I was younger and going to CF camp (when it was still around) helped me a lot by letting me meet others. This forum can do that as well but it isn't the same. I am a people person and know that people that I care about mean everything to me. I know that just going outside my front door, I can catch half a dozen bugs and things. I go to school and I know that other CFers don't wear shirts or have tatoos that say 'I have CF stay away from me' so I take a risk everyday going to the grocery store, school, the library, anywhere there is people. My CF friends made me feel better mentally and even when they had MRSA and Cepacia I didn't catch it. I was so much healthier. They all passed away when I was in high school and that was very hard for me but I feel better to have known them and spent time with them. I caught cepatia many years later while in college I might add. People tried to keep me from my grandfather when he was dying because they didn't want me to catch anything but it meant more to me to be there with him and spend that time with him than anything else. I used caution and washed and wore masks and everything on these occasions that I was around them all but it meant more to me to be around them than not. My outlook on life is simple - it is short and our hand has been dealt but its up to you how you play it. I find my happiness from the people I love and I would rather have a shorter life surrounded by those people than a longer one without them. I think because I took as much care of my mental and emotional health, that is partly why I am still here today. Just my 2 cents and as I said others may disagree but that is how I feel. My response is to talk with the teacher, see how she feels and if the feeling is mutual, talk about precautions BOTH your daughter and the teacher can take to keep each other healthy and stay in each other's lives.