Xylosoxidan

Shelby Delacruz

My husband has this alcaligene and it's preventing him from getting a lung transplant, and is possibly the cause of his recent sudden health decline. The doctors here in USC have no other meds that can combat the alcaligene, and so they're giving him one more round of IV and sending him home.

Anyone else with this? Any suggestions on how to come out of this health slump he's gotten into due to these bacterias?

JustDucky

I grow this out (in fact, I have staph pneumonia and achromobacter xylosoxidans, been in the hospital for nearly 3 weeks fighting this, I so sympathize with your husband) I am on several antibiotics to fight it. I pray that something works for your husband soon.. What meds is he on currently? I presume that they have cultured his sputum to see what antibiotics would work best for this infection. The only thing I can think of is that maybe the meds need to be adjusted some.

Jenn 40 wCF

MMBinNC

I have Achromobacter (Alcalignes xylosoxidans). Interestingly enough, all the sensitivities that they run show that it is resistant. But we have tried combo medications with better results. I am allergic to Zosyn and Fortaz and built up resistance to Ticarcillin. Becasue of this I am now taking Meropenem and Tobramycin (also for a time took Imipenem and Tobramycin). Talk to your doctor about possible combo meds rather than simply one- because it might work together when separatly they would do nothing.

Shelby Delacruz

They had Infectious Disease out today to get advice from them on which antibiotic to use, he's resistant to all antibiotics known to man, and the only ones that it's even remotely sensitive to is MerapenemI think, I offered up other antibiotics, but the doctors usually chime me out because I'm not educated in their area :) I'm always offering advice and alternatives that have worked in the past, I offered a few of his old antibiotics that it was resistant to, but could work better than what he's on now.

He's currently on Zosyn, Merapenem and Cipro. The Cipro supposedly was working, and helped with the Pseudo, but not the Xylosoxidans. He was knocked off the transplant list for the xyloxidans.

MMBinNC

For me the cocktail I use when I'm not too sick is Cipro + Doxycycline. IVs are Meropenem and Tobramycin. Inhaled antibiotics are Cayston alternating with TOBI.

Why does it seem like USC is kicking people off the TX list for some common bugs. I know achromobacter isn't too common, but someone was on here a few days ago talking about getting rejected for culturing Pseudomonas aeringosa. Maybe you should look at other possible centers...

MMBinNC

Although I said it before, Ticarcillin aka Timentin worked great for me for many years. They could just never outright kill it. Supposedly there is a good synergistic effect between penicillin antibiotics and aminoglycosides. (aka Zosyn/Timentin and Tobramycin)

I'm trying not to, but this post is kinda freaking me out. My daughter has been culturing achromobacter for a year now, along with pa. First time on iv, we treated with tobi and something i can't remember right now. Second time, we tried tobi and meropenem, but she was allergic to the meropenem so we switched to timentin. she seams to be developing resistance pretty quick, she has 4 strains of pa and two are moderately resistant to tobi.

I'd love to hear that there are other options besides meropenem and timentin for achromobacter. I've been so focused on the pa, i haven't given this much thought until i started reading this post. I honestly didn't think achromobacter was a bug to be too worried about.

has anyone been able to clear achromobacter completely?