Yeast and Antibotics

blondelawyer

So my husband's recent blood infection was the same yeast (candida albicans) that causes thrust and other common yeast infections. My understanding is that antibiotics kills the "good" bacteria that normally keep the candida under control and when this happens there can be overgrowth. Gessner has been on a lot of antibiotics (including taking zithro every day and will now start alternating with one month TOBI on month Colistin, and then has also frequently been on IVs). Additionally, Gessner's doctor thinks that he may be particularly susceptible to yeast overgrowth because of his liver disease. So, while the yeast getting into his blood is considered rare, I am wondering if there is anything that he could do to hopefully prevent a reoccurance.

I mentioned priobiotics to his CF doctor since I have heard of a lot of people taking them to prevent other yeast infections and she basically looked at me like I was speaking a different languge. So, I am out to find some more information about this and then educate her if possible. Any thoughts? (Also, just an fyi I did do a search for probiotics since I know it has been talked about before, but I was a bit overwhelmed with the number of responses and figured this particular issue was a bit different...). Anyway, thanks for any ideas!!

blondelawyer

So my husband's recent blood infection was the same yeast (candida albicans) that causes thrust and other common yeast infections. My understanding is that antibiotics kills the "good" bacteria that normally keep the candida under control and when this happens there can be overgrowth. Gessner has been on a lot of antibiotics (including taking zithro every day and will now start alternating with one month TOBI on month Colistin, and then has also frequently been on IVs). Additionally, Gessner's doctor thinks that he may be particularly susceptible to yeast overgrowth because of his liver disease. So, while the yeast getting into his blood is considered rare, I am wondering if there is anything that he could do to hopefully prevent a reoccurance.

I mentioned priobiotics to his CF doctor since I have heard of a lot of people taking them to prevent other yeast infections and she basically looked at me like I was speaking a different languge. So, I am out to find some more information about this and then educate her if possible. Any thoughts? (Also, just an fyi I did do a search for probiotics since I know it has been talked about before, but I was a bit overwhelmed with the number of responses and figured this particular issue was a bit different...). Anyway, thanks for any ideas!!

blondelawyer

blondelawyer

blondelawyer

LisaV

My mother used to get yeast infections in every possible bodily fold (including behind her ears) when she was on antibiotics. She finally had to be on diflucan every time she was on antibiotics.

Friends who have had less trouble tell me that they always eat live culture yogurt (or take the pill of the culture you can get at health stores) when they are on antibiotics.

LisaV

My mother used to get yeast infections in every possible bodily fold (including behind her ears) when she was on antibiotics. She finally had to be on diflucan every time she was on antibiotics.

Friends who have had less trouble tell me that they always eat live culture yogurt (or take the pill of the culture you can get at health stores) when they are on antibiotics.

LisaV

LisaV

LisaV

Emily65Roses

Okay so my last round of IVs... one, my doc gave me Diflucan (one pill every three days), and for the first time ever, I went the entire 2 weeks without a yeasty crotch! I was so thrilled. Course, this was due to the Diflucan, and all the following suggestions put together.

But other than that, I always take a few things: one AZO yeast (OTC pill with cranberry, as it's good for your bladder... why not kill two birds with one stone, you know?)... Also acidophilus (that's an OTC pill of a live culture)... and yogurt, if he can stand it. Though I'd recommend getting Activia yogurt because it's a different culture called bifidus regularus (most yogurts use acidophilus, and he'd already have that in the pill). That way, he's getting more than one kind, better chance of it working.

Emily65Roses

Okay so my last round of IVs... one, my doc gave me Diflucan (one pill every three days), and for the first time ever, I went the entire 2 weeks without a yeasty crotch! I was so thrilled. Course, this was due to the Diflucan, and all the following suggestions put together.

But other than that, I always take a few things: one AZO yeast (OTC pill with cranberry, as it's good for your bladder... why not kill two birds with one stone, you know?)... Also acidophilus (that's an OTC pill of a live culture)... and yogurt, if he can stand it. Though I'd recommend getting Activia yogurt because it's a different culture called bifidus regularus (most yogurts use acidophilus, and he'd already have that in the pill). That way, he's getting more than one kind, better chance of it working.

Emily65Roses

Emily65Roses

Emily65Roses

M

marcijo

I have to have probiotics whenever I am on meds. Otherwise my system gets seriously messed up from the antibiotics. I would DEFINITELY recommend taking them when he is on meds.

M

marcijo

I have to have probiotics whenever I am on meds. Otherwise my system gets seriously messed up from the antibiotics. I would DEFINITELY recommend taking them when he is on meds.

M

marcijo

M

marcijo

M

marcijo