Young Indian-American Student Achieves Medical Breakthrough

BlueTurtle

What could be a life-saving breakthrough in the fight against cystic fibrosis, cancer and AIDS has been achieved by a 17-year-old Indian-American student at the Mississippi Institute of Mathematics and Science. Madhavi Gavini is one of the quieter students at this prestigious boarding school.

"I found out that most people who have CF die of pseudomonas infections," she recalls, "so I wanted to see if there was anything I could do to help." She was 14 at the time. "I guess the thought that a 14-year-old can't really do much to help, didn't really occur to me," she says with a shrug.

http://www.voanews.com/english/AmericanLife/2007-01-23-voa49.cfm

BlueTurtle

What could be a life-saving breakthrough in the fight against cystic fibrosis, cancer and AIDS has been achieved by a 17-year-old Indian-American student at the Mississippi Institute of Mathematics and Science. Madhavi Gavini is one of the quieter students at this prestigious boarding school.

"I found out that most people who have CF die of pseudomonas infections," she recalls, "so I wanted to see if there was anything I could do to help." She was 14 at the time. "I guess the thought that a 14-year-old can't really do much to help, didn't really occur to me," she says with a shrug.

BlueTurtle

mum2kj

what a wonderfully smart girl!!!!!

And so young!!

and the fact that she doesn't want to get rich from her find so as to benefit people with cf,

Just amazing!!!

mum2kj

And so young!!

and the fact that she doesn't want to get rich from her find so as to benefit people with cf,

Just amazing!!!

mum2kj

And so young!!

Just amazing!!!

randford

BlueTurtle,

That's GREAT news! Thank you so much for sharing it. What is even more amazing is that Madhavi Gavini iswilling to allow the information to be published so that everyone can benefit without dealing with the high cost of medicines sold by pharmaceutical companies. Bless her.

I wish this would have happened sooner. Pseudomonas took my nephew's life in August of 2005. He would have been the same age as Madhavi on this very day.

Thanks again,

Randford, 44/CF/Osteo

randford

BlueTurtle,

That's GREAT news! Thank you so much for sharing it. What is even more amazing is that Madhavi Gavini iswilling to allow the information to be published so that everyone can benefit without dealing with the high cost of medicines sold by pharmaceutical companies. Bless her.

I wish this would have happened sooner. Pseudomonas took my nephew's life in August of 2005. He would have been the same age as Madhavi on this very day.

Thanks again,

Randford, 44/CF/Osteo

randford

BlueTurtle,

Thanks again,

Randford, 44/CF/Osteo

2perfectboys

That's very neat. The article did not mention what substance it was, but I did a search w/ her name and found that it is called, Haritaki or Terminalia chebula, not sure what it is, but some type of plant? Hope to see trials on it someday.

2perfectboys

That's very neat. The article did not mention what substance it was, but I did a search w/ her name and found that it is called, Haritaki or Terminalia chebula, not sure what it is, but some type of plant? Hope to see trials on it someday.

2perfectboys