Young Indian-American Student Achieves Medical Breakthrough

Jennifer1981

Thank you for posting this. It is inspirational yet I do also see the point that we have heard all this before.

What I think is interesting is that:

1.) She's was 14 when she started this whole process. Now, she is 17-years-old. What does that say about the intellegence of the rest of the scientists out there in the United States? Why was this not discovered sooner by a more advanced scientist? I can't believe that a 17-year-old is smarter than most of the scientists out there?

2.) She is an immigrant. I always believed in my heart that major developments would not come from the U.S. or from natural born citizens. Now, this may not be a major development but for 17 the girl has brains. I admire her.

I am a U.S. citizen, but I think that the reason more has not been done to solve any diseases is because of money. Money is prevention/treatment is much larger than actually curing the problem. I think that if someone else would have made this development, they would have surely got a patent (sp?) on it to make their own millions from it. God Bless this girl.

Jennifer1981

Thank you for posting this. It is inspirational yet I do also see the point that we have heard all this before.

What I think is interesting is that:

1.) She's was 14 when she started this whole process. Now, she is 17-years-old. What does that say about the intellegence of the rest of the scientists out there in the United States? Why was this not discovered sooner by a more advanced scientist? I can't believe that a 17-year-old is smarter than most of the scientists out there?

2.) She is an immigrant. I always believed in my heart that major developments would not come from the U.S. or from natural born citizens. Now, this may not be a major development but for 17 the girl has brains. I admire her.

I am a U.S. citizen, but I think that the reason more has not been done to solve any diseases is because of money. Money is prevention/treatment is much larger than actually curing the problem. I think that if someone else would have made this development, they would have surely got a patent (sp?) on it to make their own millions from it. God Bless this girl.

Tom

My thought as to why she was able to accomplish something that US scientists have not (aside from being a genius) is because she is from a different culture that has had a system of medicine for hundreds of years (Ayurvedic). Ayurvedic medicine works otherwise it would not still exist. I don't believe that US scientists are well versed in the healing properties of herbs like other medical systems throughout the world (Ayurvedic, Chinese, Tibetan, etc.). She has accomplished a great thing. It is encouraging that a compound from a natural source is effective against PA. Also, more encouraging is that this compound has been used on humans for a very long time.

Tom

My thought as to why she was able to accomplish something that US scientists have not (aside from being a genius) is because she is from a different culture that has had a system of medicine for hundreds of years (Ayurvedic). Ayurvedic medicine works otherwise it would not still exist. I don't believe that US scientists are well versed in the healing properties of herbs like other medical systems throughout the world (Ayurvedic, Chinese, Tibetan, etc.). She has accomplished a great thing. It is encouraging that a compound from a natural source is effective against PA. Also, more encouraging is that this compound has been used on humans for a very long time.

Tom

RH

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>1.) She's was 14 when she started this whole process. Now, she is 17-years-old. What does that say about the intellegence of the rest of the scientists out there in the United States? Why was this not discovered sooner by a more advanced scientist? I can't believe that a 17-year-old is smarter than most of the scientists out there? </end quote></div>

Science isn't just about intelligence, it's about funding, opportunity, luck, and novel ideas, that sort of thing. If science was merely about thinking about something then implimenting it, everything would be cured. Not to mention the vast majority of scientists in the US do not work on this particular bacteria or this disease. Someone can be a brilliant genius and not know all the tropical plants out there. I'm sure she's smart, but she got lucky, and that's what we need to cure CF - luck and hard work.

RH

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>1.) She's was 14 when she started this whole process. Now, she is 17-years-old. What does that say about the intellegence of the rest of the scientists out there in the United States? Why was this not discovered sooner by a more advanced scientist? I can't believe that a 17-year-old is smarter than most of the scientists out there? </end quote></div>

Science isn't just about intelligence, it's about funding, opportunity, luck, and novel ideas, that sort of thing. If science was merely about thinking about something then implimenting it, everything would be cured. Not to mention the vast majority of scientists in the US do not work on this particular bacteria or this disease. Someone can be a brilliant genius and not know all the tropical plants out there. I'm sure she's smart, but she got lucky, and that's what we need to cure CF - luck and hard work.

RH