Zantac/ previcid/ side affects/

damiensmom

Damien is prescribed previced 15 solutab in morn and zantac 1.4 ml at night. Well I think he gets headaches and he seems to grab unable to focus on hes playtime Damien is an extremly intelligant child and seemed to be able to see and focus at about 6 weeks. It is one of the first things my family and close ones noticed .And right away after the previced he was confused like unable to play with out frustration and had a unfocused look in hes eye. I will be honest I quit giving him previced. I will of course tell hes doc at clinic I didnt give it to him and countuied with her original !ml of zantac at morn and night.(she didnt prescribe prevacid the G.I.doc did and that was the first time we seen her and it was just a talk visit no tests or x rays. I also read about the h2 blockers in these kind of meds being not good i cant remember exactly. I would like you inform me on the possibilties of him having those kind of side affects please Amy.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
DS was never on previcid, but when he was on zantac, I noticed that every time the doctor upped the amount, he would get very very loose stools -- liquid that smelled metallic. It was to the point that I even wrote to the company and asked if that was a side effect. They indicated it wasn't and to call our doctor. Just seemed odd.

NoExcuses

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.prevacid.com/pi.aspx
">http://www.prevacid.com/pi.aspx
</a>
the package insert does say that prevacid can cause confusion. but you have to understand how side-effects are recorded in package inserts. in clinical trials, patients are given the med. then they are asked if ANYTHING is wrong. if anything is, it's recorded in the package insert. so if you happened to have a headache from sinusitis while being involved in the prevacid clinical trial, headache will be on the package insert - whether its related or not.

Prevacid is a PPI (proton pump inhibator) whereas Zantac is an H2 blocker. So i doubt there is an interaction.

It's hard to get a hold of package inserts for over the counter meds like Zantac. Zantac can cause diziness though.

I would definitely contact the doc......

mommy2bcw2

I am worried about the side affects of previcid etc. too! Our daughter in my opinion does NOT have GERDS i feel like they gave it to her assuming she would b/c she has cf??? I have halfed the docs dosage and am thinking about not giving it to her all together?? Does anyone NOT take Previcid/Zantac and are they doing ok??? I keep asking the cf doc and they reply that it might be the reason she is on such a low dose of enzyme?????

Blythe
mom to Birgess 4 w/o cf, Brinly 2 w/cf and Blakelyn 7days old w/o cf

coltsfan715

I personally do not take zantac or prevacid or anything on a regular basis. My do tends to try and put me on Zantac when I am in the hospital. I asked him about this past time because I hate taking it I always have a hard time with diarhea when I take Zantac for whatever reason. His response was that sometimes if you take an antacid it can help your body to digest your enzymes more efficiently or something. He has also tried lowering my dose of enzymes when I take the zantac .. to NO avail I might add I always have stomach cramping when he does that and end up going back to the same dosage I usually use.

I do not take any antacid on a regular basis though and feel fine. I don't really have any problems that I can contribute to not taking them.

Lindsey