ABNORMAL CERVICAL MUCUS - ADVICE PLEASE...

NoExcuses

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>Jennifer1981</b></i>

I think that I finally know that the fertility issue is...My cervical mucus!!!
</end quote></div>

Isn't that why it was originally thought that CF women had a hard time getting pregnant.... ?????

NoExcuses

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>Jennifer1981</b></i>

I think that I finally know that the fertility issue is...My cervical mucus!!!
</end quote></div>

Isn't that why it was originally thought that CF women had a hard time getting pregnant.... ?????

Momtana

Jenny, I am not thinking high or low progesterone ... this greenish mucus comes after ovulation, so does progesterone, so it's an association.
lots of good support here for checking in for a gyn appt.

Momtana

Jenny, I am not thinking high or low progesterone ... this greenish mucus comes after ovulation, so does progesterone, so it's an association.

Momtana

Momtana

p.s. try to get in while you are still in the post-ovulation phase so the provider can see the color herself.

Momtana

p.s. try to get in while you are still in the post-ovulation phase so the provider can see the color herself.

Momtana

mom2lillian

Jennifer-

You have already gotten plenty good advice on green CM so I will address what a typical fertility work-up sould consist of. There are some OB's who will do it but I wouldnt go too far with an OB even if they 'specialize' in fertility for a # reasons but thats anotehr subject. One advantage though is more chance of tests getting covered by insurance.

You will get a pap exam
They will do a few different blood draws on you including a day 3 FSH to make sure you dont have pre-mature ovarian failure. They may to a hysterosalpingogram, where they screw open your cervix and inject a dye and watch it travel through the fallopian tubes to see if there is a blockage. If they suspect a problemw ith progesterone levels then they may do a blood draw for that as well as take a tissue sample on a certain day of your cycle. May also do an ultrasound on a specific day of your cycle.

keep us posted

mom2lillian

Jennifer-

You have already gotten plenty good advice on green CM so I will address what a typical fertility work-up sould consist of. There are some OB's who will do it but I wouldnt go too far with an OB even if they 'specialize' in fertility for a # reasons but thats anotehr subject. One advantage though is more chance of tests getting covered by insurance.

You will get a pap exam
They will do a few different blood draws on you including a day 3 FSH to make sure you dont have pre-mature ovarian failure. They may to a hysterosalpingogram, where they screw open your cervix and inject a dye and watch it travel through the fallopian tubes to see if there is a blockage. If they suspect a problemw ith progesterone levels then they may do a blood draw for that as well as take a tissue sample on a certain day of your cycle. May also do an ultrasound on a specific day of your cycle.

keep us posted

mom2lillian

Jennifer-

You will get a pap exam

keep us posted

tara

Hi Jennifer,

One more thing to add to Nicole's post. One of the first steps my RE ran was a post coital test. I don't remember if it was in the middle of my cycle, or just some random day. Basically we had to have sex at a certain hour one evening and the next morning we had an appointment to have my cervical mucus examined. It was a painless procedure. They use a small flexivle catheter/syringe to draw the mucus sample. Then they examine the cervical mucus to see if there are any swimmers in there. I had ZERO. So none of DH's sperm were penetrating my cervix during intercourse. We did this test before any IUI, I also did the HSG mentioned above in Nicole's post as well. As you know we ended up doing 3 IUI treatments and moved onto IVF. Our first IVF cycle worked and we have twins now. I did have the added bonus of stage IV endometriosis, a difficult inftertility hurdle on top of CF.

Tara

tara

Hi Jennifer,

One more thing to add to Nicole's post. One of the first steps my RE ran was a post coital test. I don't remember if it was in the middle of my cycle, or just some random day. Basically we had to have sex at a certain hour one evening and the next morning we had an appointment to have my cervical mucus examined. It was a painless procedure. They use a small flexivle catheter/syringe to draw the mucus sample. Then they examine the cervical mucus to see if there are any swimmers in there. I had ZERO. So none of DH's sperm were penetrating my cervix during intercourse. We did this test before any IUI, I also did the HSG mentioned above in Nicole's post as well. As you know we ended up doing 3 IUI treatments and moved onto IVF. Our first IVF cycle worked and we have twins now. I did have the added bonus of stage IV endometriosis, a difficult inftertility hurdle on top of CF.

Tara

tara

Hi Jennifer,

Tara

Jennifer1981

EVERYONE, THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

I'll be calling the doc on Monday and should be able to get in on Friday. Jake wants to go with me so this could be a VERY ENCOURAGING appointment. I had expressed to him how much I wanted to be pregnant, and he felt sooo bad. We both agreed that this CM issue must be handled first since it could be a cause. But I think by him going with me to this appointment, he will be much more open to getting to the bottom of our fertility issue. I want to concentrate mostly on this issue with the CM, but I also want to remind the doc that we have now been trying for 1.5 years. I want him and and I both hear what she has to say. Maybe she can do a test and bill it for the CM problem and not the fertilty problem, if the test could be used for solve either problem. I'm trying to think smart. But I'm positive that getting an appointment on Friday will happen. Jake is off, and we have the whole day.

Amy - Yes, CM is the reason CF women have such a hard time conceiving. That is true. I just didn't realize that my CM was that messed up. I have mild CF and never thought that I would be in this boat. My CM seems be be green-tinted pretty much every month post-ovulation, but I thought that was just regularly CF messed up CM. I didn't think anything else since I have no itching, burning, or anything else.

Lauren - Yeah, now that I think of it. I think I did mention the CM issue to you a few months ago. Wasn't it around December? That was not long after my annual Pap which came back fine, so I dropped it. But yes, I WILL be getting an appointment for Friday, when Jake is off.

I can't wait to get to the bottom of it. I kind of am embrassed to have sex now since I don't really know what will happen afterwards... Lets just get this taken care of and work with the fertlity issue. Maybe if I'm lucky, they will go hand-in-hand. But luck has never been on my side...

Jennifer1981

I'll be calling the doc on Monday and should be able to get in on Friday. Jake wants to go with me so this could be a VERY ENCOURAGING appointment. I had expressed to him how much I wanted to be pregnant, and he felt sooo bad. We both agreed that this CM issue must be handled first since it could be a cause. But I think by him going with me to this appointment, he will be much more open to getting to the bottom of our fertility issue. I want to concentrate mostly on this issue with the CM, but I also want to remind the doc that we have now been trying for 1.5 years. I want him and and I both hear what she has to say. Maybe she can do a test and bill it for the CM problem and not the fertilty problem, if the test could be used for solve either problem. I'm trying to think smart. But I'm positive that getting an appointment on Friday will happen. Jake is off, and we have the whole day.

Amy - Yes, CM is the reason CF women have such a hard time conceiving. That is true. I just didn't realize that my CM was that messed up. I have mild CF and never thought that I would be in this boat. My CM seems be be green-tinted pretty much every month post-ovulation, but I thought that was just regularly CF messed up CM. I didn't think anything else since I have no itching, burning, or anything else.

Lauren - Yeah, now that I think of it. I think I did mention the CM issue to you a few months ago. Wasn't it around December? That was not long after my annual Pap which came back fine, so I dropped it. But yes, I WILL be getting an appointment for Friday, when Jake is off.

I can't wait to get to the bottom of it. I kind of am embrassed to have sex now since I don't really know what will happen afterwards... Lets just get this taken care of and work with the fertlity issue. Maybe if I'm lucky, they will go hand-in-hand. But luck has never been on my side...

Jennifer1981