about to get 1st tx

I

IG

Ah ok. I'm more familiar with the San Antonio/Dallas area so I can't really be of much help with Houston, sorry. I have heard that they've got a good reputation though.

I

IG

Ah ok. I'm more familiar with the San Antonio/Dallas area so I can't really be of much help with Houston, sorry. I have heard that they've got a good reputation though.

I

IG

I

IG

I

IG

Liza

I have heard wonderful things about Texas Children's. I have no personal experience with them as my daughter was 19 when she went on the transplant list, too old for the children's tx program. I know that my youngest daughter's CF doc. likes when the patient chooses Houston because they are good with keeping the CF center informed of how things are going.

If you've not been to Houston, it is humid there in the summer. I think the cost of living can be variable depending on where you live. I am not familiar with Houston itself other than it is big. Until our Godson's family moved there, we had only driven through Houston on our way out of Texas. We live in North Texas.

I am so sorry that your sister is having to go through this so early. You sound like a wonderful big sister. Is Lexie's CF team simply deciding whether they should send her off for evaluation? You will need to let her know what is going on if they are seriously thinking she needs to go for an evaluation.

This is really hard, I know. My daughter's doctor's wanted us to start considering transplant when she was 15 if things didn't change. Luckily for her they did and we never even broached the subject with her. Her decision at that time would have been an adament "NO". But we did start talking about transplants in general. I think if they decide it's not time now, it would be a good time to start thinking about talking about transplant in general. Kinda familiarize her with how some people get to that point. We did it really really slow. Kinda like when you start talking about the birds and the bees. A little info. at a time.

Keep us posted on how she is doing.

Liza

I have heard wonderful things about Texas Children's. I have no personal experience with them as my daughter was 19 when she went on the transplant list, too old for the children's tx program. I know that my youngest daughter's CF doc. likes when the patient chooses Houston because they are good with keeping the CF center informed of how things are going.

If you've not been to Houston, it is humid there in the summer. I think the cost of living can be variable depending on where you live. I am not familiar with Houston itself other than it is big. Until our Godson's family moved there, we had only driven through Houston on our way out of Texas. We live in North Texas.

I am so sorry that your sister is having to go through this so early. You sound like a wonderful big sister. Is Lexie's CF team simply deciding whether they should send her off for evaluation? You will need to let her know what is going on if they are seriously thinking she needs to go for an evaluation.

This is really hard, I know. My daughter's doctor's wanted us to start considering transplant when she was 15 if things didn't change. Luckily for her they did and we never even broached the subject with her. Her decision at that time would have been an adament "NO". But we did start talking about transplants in general. I think if they decide it's not time now, it would be a good time to start thinking about talking about transplant in general. Kinda familiarize her with how some people get to that point. We did it really really slow. Kinda like when you start talking about the birds and the bees. A little info. at a time.

Liza

Liza

Liza

bigbry

My wife recieved a transplant on December 10th and so we just recently went through the whole process, first they will do blood tests so they know what kind of donor that you will need, then you will have a class explaining the whole proceedure, plan on several radioloical tests such as chest xray, vq scan and heart tests ekg, echocardiogram, pft's and a six minute walk test for endurance. I dont know any thing about the hospital in houston, we had our transplant done in Pittsburgh because they average about 16 lung transplants a month and they also transplant people with cepacia. For fund raising we had a spaggeti dinner and an auction that we were able to raise $10,000 at. Try that and COTA but cota will take a while to set you up. Usually your Pft's need to be less than 30% my wifes pfts were 13% and they were still able to do the transplant.

bigbry

My wife recieved a transplant on December 10th and so we just recently went through the whole process, first they will do blood tests so they know what kind of donor that you will need, then you will have a class explaining the whole proceedure, plan on several radioloical tests such as chest xray, vq scan and heart tests ekg, echocardiogram, pft's and a six minute walk test for endurance. I dont know any thing about the hospital in houston, we had our transplant done in Pittsburgh because they average about 16 lung transplants a month and they also transplant people with cepacia. For fund raising we had a spaggeti dinner and an auction that we were able to raise $10,000 at. Try that and COTA but cota will take a while to set you up. Usually your Pft's need to be less than 30% my wifes pfts were 13% and they were still able to do the transplant.

bigbry

bigbry

bigbry