conceived naturally or IVF??

wanderlost

What about an intra-uterine insemination (IUI - your doc will inject your hubbies sperm into your uterus so they don't have to swim up the vaginal canal). That's what we did. My son was concieved naturally, on accident, with no help. It then took us 15 months to get pregnant with my daughter. I charted, did guafinisen - we just weren't concieving. So, since my step-mom is an OBGYN, I told her to get us pregnsnt. So we did clomid, HCG injections and IUI. We had 2 IUIs and got pregnant both times, but sadly the first ended in miscarriage - the second is 11 weeks old yesterday! The theory was that in the 7 years since my son, my cervical secretions might have thickened just enough to inhibit a lot of sperm passing through. I don't know, but it was worth it. While it isn't cheap, it is no where near the cost of IVF. If you count everything we did I would say we spent about $2,000.00 out of pocket- but spread out over time. My insiurance covers no infertility treatments, though some people's do cover some now - so you mgith get lucky there. The clomid and HCG were about 100-200 a session and the IUIs were 275 each - but I also had a test called a histerosalpingogram which was about 1,000 - and you might not need to bother with that. Anyway, something else to look into. Good luck!

Jennifer1981

Wow, Wanderlost.

I didn't realize that IUI was only $2,000. That's not bad at all. I must admit I'm a little ignorant when it comes to IVF and IUI. I didn't even realize that they were different procedures until you conceived with your daughter using IUI. I checked out your blogs a couple times. And by the way, your daughter is beautiful. Thank you for the info. Just curious, how many months did you try with using the charting and Guafinisen? My husband and I tried for one year with nothing at all. Now for the past two months, we are trying with the ovulation kits and guafinisen (Robitussin). Instead of buying more kits, that are only showing negative or faint positive, I want to start charting instead with the Robitussin. Just wondered how long you tried with those two things? When you thought, enough was enough, and moved on?

Jennifer1981

Wow, Wanderlost.

I didn't realize that IUI was only $2,000. That's not bad at all. I must admit I'm a little ignorant when it comes to IVF and IUI. I didn't even realize that they were different procedures until you conceived with your daughter using IUI. I checked out your blogs a couple times. And by the way, your daughter is beautiful. Thank you for the info. Just curious, how many months did you try with using the charting and Guafinisen? My husband and I tried for one year with nothing at all. Now for the past two months, we are trying with the ovulation kits and guafinisen (Robitussin). Instead of buying more kits, that are only showing negative or faint positive, I want to start charting instead with the Robitussin. Just wondered how long you tried with those two things? When you thought, enough was enough, and moved on?

Jennifer1981

Wow, Wanderlost.

wanderlost

Here is my $0.02 advice -

get the book "Taking Charge of Your Fertility" - I actually just perused through it for a few hours at the bookstore - but I am sure your library has it. this will help you with charting not only basal body temps, but cervical mucus and position as well. You can add in the OPK tests too if you want, but, if you go to <a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.fertilityfriend.com">fertilityfriend.com</a> you can chart on line - I suggest paying for a membership, and it will also help tell you when you ovulated. Once you know when you ovulate, you could add in some muciniex a few days before you O and take it for a day or two after. I suggest the mucinex as it lasts 12 hours, and you don't have to keep taking it.

Here is what we did - we TTCed for about 10 months, then I bought the opks and realized I ovluate on day 18, not 14 as I thought - so we knew we had been bding (if you don't know all the acronyms, quick tutorial: bd - baby dance aka sex. ttc - trying to concive, opk - ovulation predictor kit) the wrong days for all those months, so for about 3 months we just used the opks. After 13 months I talked to my step mom and that is when we tried the clomid and all that, and I actually started really charting at that time, more than before. I had been pretty bad about it up until that point, but once we were paying for treatments I got serious!

wanderlost

get the book "Taking Charge of Your Fertility" - I actually just perused through it for a few hours at the bookstore - but I am sure your library has it. this will help you with charting not only basal body temps, but cervical mucus and position as well. You can add in the OPK tests too if you want, but, if you go to <a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.fertilityfriend.com">fertilityfriend.com</a> you can chart on line - I suggest paying for a membership, and it will also help tell you when you ovulated. Once you know when you ovulate, you could add in some muciniex a few days before you O and take it for a day or two after. I suggest the mucinex as it lasts 12 hours, and you don't have to keep taking it.

Here is what we did - we TTCed for about 10 months, then I bought the opks and realized I ovluate on day 18, not 14 as I thought - so we knew we had been bding (if you don't know all the acronyms, quick tutorial: bd - baby dance aka sex. ttc - trying to concive, opk - ovulation predictor kit) the wrong days for all those months, so for about 3 months we just used the opks. After 13 months I talked to my step mom and that is when we tried the clomid and all that, and I actually started really charting at that time, more than before. I had been pretty bad about it up until that point, but once we were paying for treatments I got serious!

wanderlost

Jennifer1981

Hi Wanderlost,

Thank you for your advice. I am going to print this out, get the book, and check out the website that you mentioned. I am using mymonthlycycles.com. Is that any good? I am willing to try Mucinex vs. Robitussin. Thank you again. I'll keep you posted.

Jennifer1981

Hi Wanderlost,

Thank you for your advice. I am going to print this out, get the book, and check out the website that you mentioned. I am using mymonthlycycles.com. Is that any good? I am willing to try Mucinex vs. Robitussin. Thank you again. I'll keep you posted.

Jennifer1981

Hi Wanderlost,

Alessia2dance

Hi wonderlost, I'm gonna try that book too! I didn't realize the difference in price between the IVF and IUI. My doc pretty much just said IVF was my only chance, but I've gotta say I don't trust EVERYTHING they tell me all the time. He even cancelled my hysterosalpingoram, I had one scheduled but since he wanted me to do IVF he figured it wouldn't be necessary.
If you don't mind me asking, how was carrying a second pregnancy?? My husband is so worried about me having two but I don't want to stop and just one. I've always been healthy so I don't see any proplem with a second. Ok maybe I should just focuse on the one first. lol!

Thanks, Alessia

Alessia2dance

Hi wonderlost, I'm gonna try that book too! I didn't realize the difference in price between the IVF and IUI. My doc pretty much just said IVF was my only chance, but I've gotta say I don't trust EVERYTHING they tell me all the time. He even cancelled my hysterosalpingoram, I had one scheduled but since he wanted me to do IVF he figured it wouldn't be necessary.
If you don't mind me asking, how was carrying a second pregnancy?? My husband is so worried about me having two but I don't want to stop and just one. I've always been healthy so I don't see any proplem with a second. Ok maybe I should just focuse on the one first. lol!

Thanks, Alessia

Alessia2dance

Thanks, Alessia

wanderlost

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>Alessia2dance</b></i>

My doc pretty much just said IVF was my only chance, but I've gotta say I don't trust EVERYTHING they tell me all the time.</end quote></div>

I think that this sentiment is what has helped keep me healthy over the years, to tell you the truth!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote> If you don't mind me asking, how was carrying a second pregnancy?? My husband is so worried about me having two but I don't want to stop and just one. I've always been healthy so I don't see any proplem with a second. Ok maybe I should just focuse on the one first. lol!

Thanks, Alessia</end quote></div>

It was OK. It was harder than my first one, but I think that was from age, not CF. I had no different problems or complications, I was just more irritable, more tired, more uncomfortable - but CF healthwise I was fine. I did not gain as much weight the 2nd time, but still enough to make my docs happy and my baby healthy. I think if you've been pretty healthy you will probably be fine.

Why does your doc say only IVF? Not IUI?? it seems unless there is a problem with one of your eggs/sperm, then IUI would work just fine. SOunds like doc maybe a bit moronic about this. IVF is usually for people who have problems actually concieving (like Mark and Julie on here). And an HSG can have a high rate of natural conception after it (though mine didn't) - maybe you need a second opinion?? Keep us posted!

wanderlost

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>Alessia2dance</b></i>

My doc pretty much just said IVF was my only chance, but I've gotta say I don't trust EVERYTHING they tell me all the time.</end quote></div>

I think that this sentiment is what has helped keep me healthy over the years, to tell you the truth!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote> If you don't mind me asking, how was carrying a second pregnancy?? My husband is so worried about me having two but I don't want to stop and just one. I've always been healthy so I don't see any proplem with a second. Ok maybe I should just focuse on the one first. lol!

It was OK. It was harder than my first one, but I think that was from age, not CF. I had no different problems or complications, I was just more irritable, more tired, more uncomfortable - but CF healthwise I was fine. I did not gain as much weight the 2nd time, but still enough to make my docs happy and my baby healthy. I think if you've been pretty healthy you will probably be fine.

Why does your doc say only IVF? Not IUI?? it seems unless there is a problem with one of your eggs/sperm, then IUI would work just fine. SOunds like doc maybe a bit moronic about this. IVF is usually for people who have problems actually concieving (like Mark and Julie on here). And an HSG can have a high rate of natural conception after it (though mine didn't) - maybe you need a second opinion?? Keep us posted!

wanderlost

Jennifer1981

I think her doctor only wants her money. He even cancelled one of her tests the minute she decided to get IVF. I agree get a second opinion. Hey Alessia, I'll be PM'ing you sometime over the next day or two. With the holidays, I won't be around to much.