LDS or Morman Question

roxygss

Clinging2Faith,

It is very nice to see someone who is vigilant in their faith and wants people to come to Christ. I also want that for others. My only concern is that for everything you went to great lengths to say about the mormon religion, you didn't get any of it right. Your source of information is either deceiving you or just didn't get the whole truth. I would highly advise talking to missionaries. Of course you can ask questions here as well. But honestly, if you want to buy a Toyota, do you ask a Chevy dealer to tell you about it? Of course not, you go to each car dealer seperately, hear their case, and then make the decision on your own. Learn about mormons from MORMONS. Thats the best way to go about most things in life.

And yes, I am a mormon.

Paige2007UGrad

First off I am LDS and I AM CHRISTIAN, I believe that Jesus came to redeem us from our sins, that is what makes me Christian.

Here are a couple of Articles of Faith that tell what we believe:
1. We believe in God, the Eternal Father, and in His Son, *****, and in the Holy Ghost.

(We believe that they are all separate beings.)

2. We believe that men will be punished for his own sins, and not for Adam's transgression.

3. We believe that through the Atonement of Christ, all mankind may be saved, by obedience to the laws and ordinances of the Gospel.

8. We believe the Bible to be the word of God as far as it is translated correctly; we also believe the Book of Mormon to be the word of God.

(We read the King James version of the bible)

Visit www.lds.org for further beliefs.

Also, I really wanted to add that ROMNEY IS NOT THE LEADEER OF OUR CHURCH. ***** is at the Head of the church. President Gordan B. Hinckley is his mouthpiece AKA the prophet here on earth today. Gordon B. Hinckley is the last person I believe that would go and seek for worldly riches. Gordan B. Hinckley has spent his life in service to the Lord. He has traveled the world to testify of ***** as the Son of God, he makes important decisions regarding the church. He is a smart educated man who is dedicated to his family, and misses his dear wife who died a couple of years ago. President Gordon B. Hinckley is more than 90 years old.

Mitt Romney is a man he happens to be a member of the LDS faith. President Hinckley is man I look up to because of how he has spent his life. Look online to find out more about President Hinckley. You may even want to check out his book "Standing for Something" it is a book that teaches of virtues that he believes will make home a better place.

These virtues he lists are:
Love
Honesty
Morality
Civility
Learning
Forgiveness and Mercy
Thrift and Industry
Gratitude
Optimism
Faith

He also speaks of marriage and the family. He is a strong believer in prayer and in giving thanks to our Father in Heaven. Even if I was not a member of the church I believe I would hold deep respect for Gordon B. Hinckley because he is a man of integrity and kindness. He speaks with conviction and love. He doesn't speak with concern for how much money he is going to make. I believe he has always been a man who believes in frugality in a modest living.

His dear wife wrote about how she wanted to live life:
"I don't want to drive up to the pearly gates in a shiny sports car, wearing beautifully tailored clothes, my hair expertly coiffed, and with long, perfectly manicured fingernails. I want to drive up in a station wagon that has mud on the wheels from taking kids to scout camp. I want to be there with grass strains on my shoes from mowing Sister Schenk's lawn. I want to be there with a smudge of peanut butter on my shirt from making sandwiches for a sick neighbor's children. I want to be there with a little dirt under my fingernails from helping to weed someone's garden. I want to be there with children's sticky kisses on my cheeks and the tears of a friend on my shoulder. I want the Lord to know that I was here and that I really lived."

President Hinckley is all about work and helping others, and you can see that his wife was very much the same. After his wife died he didn't turn over in despair, rather his philosophy is to pray and get to work (the Lord's work). While he grieves and misses his wife as you can see when he speaks, he knows the importance of being a leader and continually standing for something.

I don't want to make this only about President Hinckley or make it seem like I worship him. I worship God. President Hinckley is a man who is inspired by God to gives messages to the world. While I admire President Hinckley, ***** was the perfect example. He is who we should model our life after.

Joseph Smith, the man who restored the church was not a man of great wealth. He was a farmboy. He ended up dying because of his beliefs.
Article of Faith #6
We believe in the same organization that existed in the Primitive Church, namely, apostles, prophets, pastors, teachers, evangelists, and so forth.

I just want to testify to you that I believe that through the Atonement of Christ that anyone who has faith in him can be saved, so long as they live in obedience to his commands. I also believe that the Bible and the Book of Mormon are the word of God. I believe President Gordan B. Hinckley to be a Prophet here on earth. He testifies of the true nature of God. I believe that Joseph Smith restored the church and organized it the same as when Christ was on the earth. I believe Joseph Smith was a true prophet. I want to say these things in the name of ***** Amen.

I hope you will pray and find out what the truth is concerning the nature of God and what he wants for all of his children here on earth. I also hope that you may find out what we truly believe and figure out littles details and facts from the source so you may be aware of what you are speaking about. We are people who in general seek salvation for ourselves and others, not riches. We seek to have families and serve others. We are all about service and helping the poor and needy.

BTW, the stars were edited because I assume that the system thought I was using the Lord's name in vain, and thus it figured it was profanity, though I wrote his name with the deepest of respect and with testimony of him and his teachings.

Amanda

Paige2007UGrad

First off I am LDS and I AM CHRISTIAN, I believe that Jesus came to redeem us from our sins, that is what makes me Christian.

1. We believe in God, the Eternal Father, and in His Son, *****, and in the Holy Ghost.

2. We believe that men will be punished for his own sins, and not for Adam's transgression.

3. We believe that through the Atonement of Christ, all mankind may be saved, by obedience to the laws and ordinances of the Gospel.

8. We believe the Bible to be the word of God as far as it is translated correctly; we also believe the Book of Mormon to be the word of God.

Also, I really wanted to add that ROMNEY IS NOT THE LEADEER OF OUR CHURCH. ***** is at the Head of the church. President Gordan B. Hinckley is his mouthpiece AKA the prophet here on earth today. Gordon B. Hinckley is the last person I believe that would go and seek for worldly riches. Gordan B. Hinckley has spent his life in service to the Lord. He has traveled the world to testify of ***** as the Son of God, he makes important decisions regarding the church. He is a smart educated man who is dedicated to his family, and misses his dear wife who died a couple of years ago. President Gordon B. Hinckley is more than 90 years old.

Mitt Romney is a man he happens to be a member of the LDS faith. President Hinckley is man I look up to because of how he has spent his life. Look online to find out more about President Hinckley. You may even want to check out his book "Standing for Something" it is a book that teaches of virtues that he believes will make home a better place.

Love
Honesty
Morality
Civility
Learning
Forgiveness and Mercy
Thrift and Industry
Gratitude
Optimism
Faith

He also speaks of marriage and the family. He is a strong believer in prayer and in giving thanks to our Father in Heaven. Even if I was not a member of the church I believe I would hold deep respect for Gordon B. Hinckley because he is a man of integrity and kindness. He speaks with conviction and love. He doesn't speak with concern for how much money he is going to make. I believe he has always been a man who believes in frugality in a modest living.

"I don't want to drive up to the pearly gates in a shiny sports car, wearing beautifully tailored clothes, my hair expertly coiffed, and with long, perfectly manicured fingernails. I want to drive up in a station wagon that has mud on the wheels from taking kids to scout camp. I want to be there with grass strains on my shoes from mowing Sister Schenk's lawn. I want to be there with a smudge of peanut butter on my shirt from making sandwiches for a sick neighbor's children. I want to be there with a little dirt under my fingernails from helping to weed someone's garden. I want to be there with children's sticky kisses on my cheeks and the tears of a friend on my shoulder. I want the Lord to know that I was here and that I really lived."

President Hinckley is all about work and helping others, and you can see that his wife was very much the same. After his wife died he didn't turn over in despair, rather his philosophy is to pray and get to work (the Lord's work). While he grieves and misses his wife as you can see when he speaks, he knows the importance of being a leader and continually standing for something.

I don't want to make this only about President Hinckley or make it seem like I worship him. I worship God. President Hinckley is a man who is inspired by God to gives messages to the world. While I admire President Hinckley, ***** was the perfect example. He is who we should model our life after.

Joseph Smith, the man who restored the church was not a man of great wealth. He was a farmboy. He ended up dying because of his beliefs.
Article of Faith #6
We believe in the same organization that existed in the Primitive Church, namely, apostles, prophets, pastors, teachers, evangelists, and so forth.

I just want to testify to you that I believe that through the Atonement of Christ that anyone who has faith in him can be saved, so long as they live in obedience to his commands. I also believe that the Bible and the Book of Mormon are the word of God. I believe President Gordan B. Hinckley to be a Prophet here on earth. He testifies of the true nature of God. I believe that Joseph Smith restored the church and organized it the same as when Christ was on the earth. I believe Joseph Smith was a true prophet. I want to say these things in the name of ***** Amen.

I hope you will pray and find out what the truth is concerning the nature of God and what he wants for all of his children here on earth. I also hope that you may find out what we truly believe and figure out littles details and facts from the source so you may be aware of what you are speaking about. We are people who in general seek salvation for ourselves and others, not riches. We seek to have families and serve others. We are all about service and helping the poor and needy.

BTW, the stars were edited because I assume that the system thought I was using the Lord's name in vain, and thus it figured it was profanity, though I wrote his name with the deepest of respect and with testimony of him and his teachings.

Amanda

Paige2007UGrad

Love
Honesty
Morality
Civility
Learning
Forgiveness and Mercy
Thrift and Industry
Gratitude
Optimism
Faith

Article of Faith #6

Amanda

Paige2007UGrad

Love
Honesty
Morality
Civility
Learning
Forgiveness and Mercy
Thrift and Industry
Gratitude
Optimism
Faith

Article of Faith #6

Amanda

Paige2007UGrad

Love
Honesty
Morality
Civility
Learning
Forgiveness and Mercy
Thrift and Industry
Gratitude
Optimism
Faith

Article of Faith #6

Amanda

Paige2007UGrad

Love
Honesty
Morality
Civility
Learning
Forgiveness and Mercy
Thrift and Industry
Gratitude
Optimism
Faith

Article of Faith #6

Amanda

RTforJCinAZ

Interesting conversation to say the least......something I love to join in on.

As for Christianity as a "religion", there are way too many groups that say "yea, we are Christian" but rarely follow the teachings of *****.

In Revelation, the Bible states that nothing is to be added or taken away from the Bible. Yet, here is the Mormon church with the "Book of Mormon" dating back a couple hundred years. You may debate with me and say its not technically added, but when you tell me the Bible and Book of Mormon are one in the same, my proof is spelled out in front of me.

"Because of Christ's Atonement and Resurrection all people will be brought back into the presence of the Lord to be judged according to their works and their desires and according to the laws of justice and mercy." -mormon.org

We will not be judged based on works or desires, we will be judged on whether we accepted the Lord ***** as our Savior. His death on the cross payed for our sins, and his grace is what saves us.

"Because of the selfless act of the Atonement, Christ can plead with the Father on your behalf. Heavenly Father can apply mercy, withhold eternal consequences from you and welcome you into His presence." -mormon.org

Jesus doesn't need to "plead" with God, God knows me and has a personal relationship with me. Also, the fact that they say Christ has to "plead" with God, shows a very harsh unforgiving God, which is not who I worship.

Some of the things I read on mormon.org follow my "Follower-of-Christ" (not going to call it Christian, too many groups label themselves Christian) beliefs, but many times they throw a little more in to what the Bible says, or refers to scripture in the Book of Mormon. Joseph Smith was an average person like you and me, he was nobody special. If he accepted ***** as his Savior, we will one day spend eternity with him when Christ returns. The fact that he had a vision, and wrote the majority of a book based on his, and other "apostles" visions, means nothing to validate it as word of God. The Bible is the one true word of God.

The "Great Apostasy" is where Mormonism puts its weight. Without this time period of "lack of faith" there would be no Joseph Smith to have his vision, and restore the Gospel back on Earth. This is really no different than Scientology putting its faith in L Ron Hubbard's book and hoping that vision he had was real. I will believe the one book that has outlasted all others with very little to no change, and is more valid copy to copy than any book ever written.

I think the true problem, and reason that so many twists and quirks have been added into these modern day religions, is that so many people struggle trying to live a Christ-like life. They want to bend and shape religion to their own desires. He doesnt ask us to be perfect, but to try our hardest to live as He would. Helping people in need, loving people, and telling people how He has changed our lives. I have seen stories of Mormon's converting to Christianity, because they wondered why they had to put their own eternal destiny in the hands of this Joseph Smith. Why not just rely on the power of *****, and his death on the cross saving us from our sins? God wants a personal relationship with you and I, and for us to live and follow the teachings of Jesus. Therefore becoming "followers of Christ". No this isnt some spin-off religion, but Christian is overused and abused by way too many religious groups.

RTforJCinAZ

As for Christianity as a "religion", there are way too many groups that say "yea, we are Christian" but rarely follow the teachings of *****.

In Revelation, the Bible states that nothing is to be added or taken away from the Bible. Yet, here is the Mormon church with the "Book of Mormon" dating back a couple hundred years. You may debate with me and say its not technically added, but when you tell me the Bible and Book of Mormon are one in the same, my proof is spelled out in front of me.

"Because of Christ's Atonement and Resurrection all people will be brought back into the presence of the Lord to be judged according to their works and their desires and according to the laws of justice and mercy." -mormon.org

We will not be judged based on works or desires, we will be judged on whether we accepted the Lord ***** as our Savior. His death on the cross payed for our sins, and his grace is what saves us.

"Because of the selfless act of the Atonement, Christ can plead with the Father on your behalf. Heavenly Father can apply mercy, withhold eternal consequences from you and welcome you into His presence." -mormon.org

Jesus doesn't need to "plead" with God, God knows me and has a personal relationship with me. Also, the fact that they say Christ has to "plead" with God, shows a very harsh unforgiving God, which is not who I worship.

Some of the things I read on mormon.org follow my "Follower-of-Christ" (not going to call it Christian, too many groups label themselves Christian) beliefs, but many times they throw a little more in to what the Bible says, or refers to scripture in the Book of Mormon. Joseph Smith was an average person like you and me, he was nobody special. If he accepted ***** as his Savior, we will one day spend eternity with him when Christ returns. The fact that he had a vision, and wrote the majority of a book based on his, and other "apostles" visions, means nothing to validate it as word of God. The Bible is the one true word of God.

The "Great Apostasy" is where Mormonism puts its weight. Without this time period of "lack of faith" there would be no Joseph Smith to have his vision, and restore the Gospel back on Earth. This is really no different than Scientology putting its faith in L Ron Hubbard's book and hoping that vision he had was real. I will believe the one book that has outlasted all others with very little to no change, and is more valid copy to copy than any book ever written.

I think the true problem, and reason that so many twists and quirks have been added into these modern day religions, is that so many people struggle trying to live a Christ-like life. They want to bend and shape religion to their own desires. He doesnt ask us to be perfect, but to try our hardest to live as He would. Helping people in need, loving people, and telling people how He has changed our lives. I have seen stories of Mormon's converting to Christianity, because they wondered why they had to put their own eternal destiny in the hands of this Joseph Smith. Why not just rely on the power of *****, and his death on the cross saving us from our sins? God wants a personal relationship with you and I, and for us to live and follow the teachings of Jesus. Therefore becoming "followers of Christ". No this isnt some spin-off religion, but Christian is overused and abused by way too many religious groups.

RTforJCinAZ

RTforJCinAZ

RTforJCinAZ

RTforJCinAZ

jess108

I am also a member of the Church of ***** of Latter-Day Saints. I just wanted to make sure that it didn't stay misconstrued that we believe our eternal destiny is in the hands of Joseph Smith. We believe in Christ, that he is the son of God, that he died for us and rose again. We believe the only way to return to live with our Heavenly Father is through the teachings of *****. Joseph Smith did not write the Book of Mormon, he translated it. He was a man just like you or I, but we believe he was a prophet of God, just like there have been prophets through the ages. We don't worship him, nor do we worship any of the prophets of old or of today. We worship ***** and God. Which is why we are too considered "Christians".
The Church of ***** of Latter-Day Saints is set up just like the Church that Jesus himself set up when He was on the earth, so it isn't a "new" church, but the true church restored. It is also why our Church bears His name. Because it is His church

It is too bad that there are so many misunderstood and incorect things out there about "Mormons", but it is nice to see a rational conversation take place about it. Whatever your religion or beliefs we are all in this world together, and getting along and respecting one another makes such a difference!!

jess108

I am also a member of the Church of ***** of Latter-Day Saints. I just wanted to make sure that it didn't stay misconstrued that we believe our eternal destiny is in the hands of Joseph Smith. We believe in Christ, that he is the son of God, that he died for us and rose again. We believe the only way to return to live with our Heavenly Father is through the teachings of *****. Joseph Smith did not write the Book of Mormon, he translated it. He was a man just like you or I, but we believe he was a prophet of God, just like there have been prophets through the ages. We don't worship him, nor do we worship any of the prophets of old or of today. We worship ***** and God. Which is why we are too considered "Christians".
The Church of ***** of Latter-Day Saints is set up just like the Church that Jesus himself set up when He was on the earth, so it isn't a "new" church, but the true church restored. It is also why our Church bears His name. Because it is His church

It is too bad that there are so many misunderstood and incorect things out there about "Mormons", but it is nice to see a rational conversation take place about it. Whatever your religion or beliefs we are all in this world together, and getting along and respecting one another makes such a difference!!

jess108

jess108

jess108

Paige2007UGrad

I believe that Christ atoned for my sins. I believe if you know any LDS church goers you will see that thy try so hard to live in line with Christ, they try and do for others and obey the commandments and try so hard to do whatever they are asked by their leaders.

People in this faith amaze me because there are so many active church-goers and they are so hungry to learn more. Not only do you find them learning on Sunday, missionaries will dedicate 1 1/2 to two years to teaching and doing much good. We don't only have missions of ministry but missions of service as well. I believe Christ's life was about service.

We are a people who truly try to do much good. Of course there are the unfortunate few who will not let their children hang out with others who are not LDS and have to say snide remarks about others of other faiths... but if you listen to our dear prophet you will know what kind of people the Lord expects us to be.

The prophet himself speaks of love and reaching out to others from other faiths and being good to all many no matter their faith. Not to try and make them our faith, but just out of the good in our hearts.

Our message really is about trying to have our lives in line with Christs. I hear it time and again... that the truest way you know how much you have come unto him is by the way you treat others. That is the message of our gospel.

We are no better than anyone else. We have the goal of returning to a Heavenly Father who loves us in mind. We also have a goal of helping as many of our brothers and sisters as we can to get there along the way.

I hope this bring a little more enlightenment to your views of us. While their are a selct few who have been in our religion who have done some sort of evil or harm... I want to make perfectly clear that that is out of line with our teachings.

I hope the best for everybody, and while sometimes I can be outspoken about things that I do not perceive as good. I hope that it can be taken as me hoping for a better way for that person so that they may succeed too.

Amanda

Paige2007UGrad

I believe that Christ atoned for my sins. I believe if you know any LDS church goers you will see that thy try so hard to live in line with Christ, they try and do for others and obey the commandments and try so hard to do whatever they are asked by their leaders.

People in this faith amaze me because there are so many active church-goers and they are so hungry to learn more. Not only do you find them learning on Sunday, missionaries will dedicate 1 1/2 to two years to teaching and doing much good. We don't only have missions of ministry but missions of service as well. I believe Christ's life was about service.

We are a people who truly try to do much good. Of course there are the unfortunate few who will not let their children hang out with others who are not LDS and have to say snide remarks about others of other faiths... but if you listen to our dear prophet you will know what kind of people the Lord expects us to be.

The prophet himself speaks of love and reaching out to others from other faiths and being good to all many no matter their faith. Not to try and make them our faith, but just out of the good in our hearts.

Our message really is about trying to have our lives in line with Christs. I hear it time and again... that the truest way you know how much you have come unto him is by the way you treat others. That is the message of our gospel.

We are no better than anyone else. We have the goal of returning to a Heavenly Father who loves us in mind. We also have a goal of helping as many of our brothers and sisters as we can to get there along the way.

I hope this bring a little more enlightenment to your views of us. While their are a selct few who have been in our religion who have done some sort of evil or harm... I want to make perfectly clear that that is out of line with our teachings.

I hope the best for everybody, and while sometimes I can be outspoken about things that I do not perceive as good. I hope that it can be taken as me hoping for a better way for that person so that they may succeed too.

Amanda