New here

M

marcijo

Welcome Anne! I am Marci, mom to Sam (4.5) and Ella (3). It is great to see you on the board! There are quite a few CF mommy's on here, which is great!

M

marcijo

Welcome Anne! I am Marci, mom to Sam (4.5) and Ella (3). It is great to see you on the board! There are quite a few CF mommy's on here, which is great!

W

Wendy

Christian,
Honestly, I don't know of any one thing that helped me carry my first pregnancy to term. I can say that my OB was concerned from the beginning that I would deliver early. She was sooo sure that I would not make it to full term (which anything after 37 weeks is considered term). As far as my health history goes, I've been a pretty mild case most of my life (diagnosed at 9 mos old) until my mid 20s, where I've come down a little. My first hospitalization was when I was 19 and I've gone in about once a year or so since then (give or take 6 months). At five months pregnant, 23 wks, I went into the hosp for a clean out. It had been a year and a half since my last one. We ( me and cf docs) decided to act early at the first sign of me not feeling well and pft's slipping. From then on, I proceeded with a normal pregnancy. I started dialating at 36 wks (1 cm) which my OB said was normal. I dailated 1 cm each week until Ian was born (2cm at 37 wks, 3cm at 38 wks and went into labor the next morning). The only reason my OB thought I wouldn't carry to term was the cf. I have to tell you that I was her first cf patient and that she was not very comfortable or sure of what to do with me.

I have switched to another OB since then who is also new to cf but is very caring, pro-active about my care and willing to learn and do whatever she needs to take care of me and the baby. I am also seeing a high risk OB who has worked with other cf patients at my local cf clinic. The clinic referred me to her and I love her, too. She is great. It is too bad she was not here the first time.

Sorry, I kind of went off on a tangent. Back to your concerns. Don't let it worry you too much about delivering early. Yes, it is a possibility. But, it is also a statistic. We cfers know that statistics do not always apply to everyone. We are beating the odds every day! You have done a good job staying healthy and that will go a long way in this pregnancy. Keep doing what you are doing and don't lose any sleep over it. Eat healthy, exercise, do your meds and get good sleep. I personally did not think that I was going to deliver my son too early and I was right. Good luck to us both and enjoy this time. I hope this helps you feel better.

W

Wendy

Christian,
Honestly, I don't know of any one thing that helped me carry my first pregnancy to term. I can say that my OB was concerned from the beginning that I would deliver early. She was sooo sure that I would not make it to full term (which anything after 37 weeks is considered term). As far as my health history goes, I've been a pretty mild case most of my life (diagnosed at 9 mos old) until my mid 20s, where I've come down a little. My first hospitalization was when I was 19 and I've gone in about once a year or so since then (give or take 6 months). At five months pregnant, 23 wks, I went into the hosp for a clean out. It had been a year and a half since my last one. We ( me and cf docs) decided to act early at the first sign of me not feeling well and pft's slipping. From then on, I proceeded with a normal pregnancy. I started dialating at 36 wks (1 cm) which my OB said was normal. I dailated 1 cm each week until Ian was born (2cm at 37 wks, 3cm at 38 wks and went into labor the next morning). The only reason my OB thought I wouldn't carry to term was the cf. I have to tell you that I was her first cf patient and that she was not very comfortable or sure of what to do with me.

I have switched to another OB since then who is also new to cf but is very caring, pro-active about my care and willing to learn and do whatever she needs to take care of me and the baby. I am also seeing a high risk OB who has worked with other cf patients at my local cf clinic. The clinic referred me to her and I love her, too. She is great. It is too bad she was not here the first time.

Sorry, I kind of went off on a tangent. Back to your concerns. Don't let it worry you too much about delivering early. Yes, it is a possibility. But, it is also a statistic. We cfers know that statistics do not always apply to everyone. We are beating the odds every day! You have done a good job staying healthy and that will go a long way in this pregnancy. Keep doing what you are doing and don't lose any sleep over it. Eat healthy, exercise, do your meds and get good sleep. I personally did not think that I was going to deliver my son too early and I was right. Good luck to us both and enjoy this time. I hope this helps you feel better.

W

Wendy

Christian,

mom2lillian

Hi ladies

I am so happy to find you! I just ran across this tonight I have searched other forums for pregnant or CF moms previously to no avail.

I am 26 yo with a mild case of CF my mutations are P67L E60X I just had my first child 12-20-06 and have so many questions about the balancing act I have so gladly entered. I posted a new thread with ?'s perhaps some of you could hop over there to answer or I will check back here.

My husband and I tried for some time to get pregnant and ran the gammet as far as trying everything to get pregnant, we ended up getting pregnant during our first IVF this past march.

I wanted to say that I carried to 1 day PAST my due date which they never though I would. I was told I would probably be early also, then at 29 weeks I started contracting, then at 32 weeks I was put on terbutaline, at 35 weeks I went off of work, at 36 weeks I stopped taking the terbutaline and was told to expect a baby any time, they thought I 'might' make it to thanksgiving and to everyone's surprise I almost made it to xmas and had to be induced! I was petrified I was going to deliver early so my advice is dont waste the extra energy worrying about it like I did, instead focus on being healthy and staying positive.

I never saw the good morning america special, if someone would send me a link I woudl really love to watch it. I applaud your openness. I was featured in my company's newsletter this year during great strides fundraising and I was nervous about that! I am sure you have done more good than you can ever know.

mom2lillian

Hi ladies

I am so happy to find you! I just ran across this tonight I have searched other forums for pregnant or CF moms previously to no avail.

I am 26 yo with a mild case of CF my mutations are P67L E60X I just had my first child 12-20-06 and have so many questions about the balancing act I have so gladly entered. I posted a new thread with ?'s perhaps some of you could hop over there to answer or I will check back here.

My husband and I tried for some time to get pregnant and ran the gammet as far as trying everything to get pregnant, we ended up getting pregnant during our first IVF this past march.

I wanted to say that I carried to 1 day PAST my due date which they never though I would. I was told I would probably be early also, then at 29 weeks I started contracting, then at 32 weeks I was put on terbutaline, at 35 weeks I went off of work, at 36 weeks I stopped taking the terbutaline and was told to expect a baby any time, they thought I 'might' make it to thanksgiving and to everyone's surprise I almost made it to xmas and had to be induced! I was petrified I was going to deliver early so my advice is dont waste the extra energy worrying about it like I did, instead focus on being healthy and staying positive.

I never saw the good morning america special, if someone would send me a link I woudl really love to watch it. I applaud your openness. I was featured in my company's newsletter this year during great strides fundraising and I was nervous about that! I am sure you have done more good than you can ever know.

mom2lillian

Hi ladies