Decision to be a parent

idajune

I am not new to the site but i read more than I post. My husband and I have been married for 2 1/2 years, and are thinking about starting a family. I guess I would like to know how all of you who decided to have babies made that final decision to go through with it. I have heard many positive stories but I can't help but worry about the worst. I think of my own health during pregnancy, I think of my life after giving birth - will I be a good mom, will I be able to give my child the same devotion that any other mom does. What happens if I do get sick or end up in the hospital will I be able to mentally focus on myself enough to get well or worry about my child. I have a great family, my parents are devoted parents and always there for my other siblings and their children, and they have always been there for me and guided me through life. My husbands family is a bit different, not that there isn't love there but it is hard to know how they might react. I am not saying we need to rely on others for help but it's always nice to know someon else will be there to help if we need it. I have done more things than I ever thought I would, graduating college as a graphic designer, I work part time, we own our home, we are finanacially comfortable. Of course I am the same person that can't ever decide where to go out to eat because I want to make sure everyone else gets what they want out of a meal. People ask my husband if he can handle being a single father (God forbid) and how do you answer that, financially yes, emotionally - how do you answer? Of course you would have to do it, but how does one know how it will be till they are faced with the issue. I know that there is no one answer that will make it all seem right. Others say why bring a child into this world if it will lose a parent? I see myself as living to 50 or 60 years old, so why should I be afraid to live it. When I was little I always saw myself as a mom, but now I don't know how to take that final step.

Well I guess I am rambling, my mind has just been so full of thoughts for weeks and I need to let them escape. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks, Sarah

idajune

I am not new to the site but i read more than I post. My husband and I have been married for 2 1/2 years, and are thinking about starting a family. I guess I would like to know how all of you who decided to have babies made that final decision to go through with it. I have heard many positive stories but I can't help but worry about the worst. I think of my own health during pregnancy, I think of my life after giving birth - will I be a good mom, will I be able to give my child the same devotion that any other mom does. What happens if I do get sick or end up in the hospital will I be able to mentally focus on myself enough to get well or worry about my child. I have a great family, my parents are devoted parents and always there for my other siblings and their children, and they have always been there for me and guided me through life. My husbands family is a bit different, not that there isn't love there but it is hard to know how they might react. I am not saying we need to rely on others for help but it's always nice to know someon else will be there to help if we need it. I have done more things than I ever thought I would, graduating college as a graphic designer, I work part time, we own our home, we are finanacially comfortable. Of course I am the same person that can't ever decide where to go out to eat because I want to make sure everyone else gets what they want out of a meal. People ask my husband if he can handle being a single father (God forbid) and how do you answer that, financially yes, emotionally - how do you answer? Of course you would have to do it, but how does one know how it will be till they are faced with the issue. I know that there is no one answer that will make it all seem right. Others say why bring a child into this world if it will lose a parent? I see myself as living to 50 or 60 years old, so why should I be afraid to live it. When I was little I always saw myself as a mom, but now I don't know how to take that final step.

Well I guess I am rambling, my mind has just been so full of thoughts for weeks and I need to let them escape. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks, Sarah

idajune

Thanks, Sarah

idajune

Thanks, Sarah

idajune

Thanks, Sarah

K

Keepercjr

Sarah

As you are realizing, the decision to start a family is not always an easy one. We all have different opinions and ideas but I'll share mine.

When we decided to have kids I made sure that I was as healthy as I could get. I started working out about 5 months before we conceived, I did a pre-conception tune up and we got my husband tested to see if he was a carrier (the full Ambry screren). At the time we conceived my PFTs were in the upper 60s. I had a fairly uneventful pregnancy other than doing IVs once and having horrible uncontrollable asthma for the first 6 months or so. Once I started taking magnesium my asthma got a lot better. (My main CF symptom is asthma).

I worried a lot about what would happen if I had to go in the hospital. Then I realized that duh, I don't HAVE to go in. I can do IVs at home. So far I haven't needed any IVs since I was about 5 months pregnant even though I was averaging 1 to 2 times per year. I really think that in my case, the mindset of being a mother has affected my health in a positive way.

One thing that factored into our decision to have kids is that we have both sets of parents in town. My parents live around the corner and my DH's parents live about 15 minutes away. I felt that having some family help was important for me. If we had no family nearby we would have probably chosen to have kids anyway but it would have been much harder on me.

I think it is horribly intrusive for people to ask your husband if he can handle being a single father. That is none of their business! Should something happen to me, my DH has his family and my family around to help. We have never really discussed it because I am nowhere near that stage. I suppose that if someday I am very sick and not recovering then we will talk about the logistics. For now I just assume I'll be around for a long time. There is no guarantee that you will live a long life but there is definitely no guarantee that your child will lose a parent. Heck something could happen to your DH. If your health is good and stable now and you take good care of yourself then I don't see why you can't become a mom. That is not the right decision for everyone but it was right for me.

I'll just say this - if I was needing a lot of hospital stays, even if I had good overall health, I (just me, not speaking for anyone else) would not have anymore kids. My son and I are so attached that a week (or longer) hospital stay would devastate the both of us. He has never spent a night away from my side. He is nowhere near developmentally ready to have his main caregiver leave him for any length of time. Not having to leave him is a huge reason for me deciding to have a homebirth for the next baby. There were lots of other factors but not having to leave Logan was a big one.

good luck on your decision. I'm sure that whatever you decide will be the right choice. You have lots of support here.

K

Keepercjr

Sarah

As you are realizing, the decision to start a family is not always an easy one. We all have different opinions and ideas but I'll share mine.

When we decided to have kids I made sure that I was as healthy as I could get. I started working out about 5 months before we conceived, I did a pre-conception tune up and we got my husband tested to see if he was a carrier (the full Ambry screren). At the time we conceived my PFTs were in the upper 60s. I had a fairly uneventful pregnancy other than doing IVs once and having horrible uncontrollable asthma for the first 6 months or so. Once I started taking magnesium my asthma got a lot better. (My main CF symptom is asthma).

I worried a lot about what would happen if I had to go in the hospital. Then I realized that duh, I don't HAVE to go in. I can do IVs at home. So far I haven't needed any IVs since I was about 5 months pregnant even though I was averaging 1 to 2 times per year. I really think that in my case, the mindset of being a mother has affected my health in a positive way.

One thing that factored into our decision to have kids is that we have both sets of parents in town. My parents live around the corner and my DH's parents live about 15 minutes away. I felt that having some family help was important for me. If we had no family nearby we would have probably chosen to have kids anyway but it would have been much harder on me.

I think it is horribly intrusive for people to ask your husband if he can handle being a single father. That is none of their business! Should something happen to me, my DH has his family and my family around to help. We have never really discussed it because I am nowhere near that stage. I suppose that if someday I am very sick and not recovering then we will talk about the logistics. For now I just assume I'll be around for a long time. There is no guarantee that you will live a long life but there is definitely no guarantee that your child will lose a parent. Heck something could happen to your DH. If your health is good and stable now and you take good care of yourself then I don't see why you can't become a mom. That is not the right decision for everyone but it was right for me.

I'll just say this - if I was needing a lot of hospital stays, even if I had good overall health, I (just me, not speaking for anyone else) would not have anymore kids. My son and I are so attached that a week (or longer) hospital stay would devastate the both of us. He has never spent a night away from my side. He is nowhere near developmentally ready to have his main caregiver leave him for any length of time. Not having to leave him is a huge reason for me deciding to have a homebirth for the next baby. There were lots of other factors but not having to leave Logan was a big one.

good luck on your decision. I'm sure that whatever you decide will be the right choice. You have lots of support here.

K

Keepercjr

Sarah

K

Keepercjr

Sarah

K

Keepercjr

Sarah

mom2lillian

hello

well it sounds that you have started considering all right factors.

We talked about worst case scenario DH being single father and how that woudl work out, if it was somethign he thought he could handle etc. We considered who we had around to help though we dont really use/need any now just thinking for future. We met with CF docs regarding it as well as had DH screened, genetic counseling, and then met with a perinatologist to see how she thought things could go what emds I would have to go off, what would happen if I got sick during how it would be handled etc.

My PFTs were ~95 and I got hospitilized about 1x a year for a 36-48 hour period due to bleeding generally IV's 1x a year. Everyone thought it would be no rpoblem for me to carry pregnancy and overall I felt that I could do it with DH's help of course.

Mostly my decision rode on how my DH felt because it is him that will have to pick up the slack when I am sick adn him that would have to stick around to take care of kid(s) should I die.

mom2lillian

hello

We talked about worst case scenario DH being single father and how that woudl work out, if it was somethign he thought he could handle etc. We considered who we had around to help though we dont really use/need any now just thinking for future. We met with CF docs regarding it as well as had DH screened, genetic counseling, and then met with a perinatologist to see how she thought things could go what emds I would have to go off, what would happen if I got sick during how it would be handled etc.

My PFTs were ~95 and I got hospitilized about 1x a year for a 36-48 hour period due to bleeding generally IV's 1x a year. Everyone thought it would be no rpoblem for me to carry pregnancy and overall I felt that I could do it with DH's help of course.

Mostly my decision rode on how my DH felt because it is him that will have to pick up the slack when I am sick adn him that would have to stick around to take care of kid(s) should I die.

mom2lillian

hello

mom2lillian

hello

mom2lillian

hello

H

hopesiris

Hi Sarah,

After I was diagnosed this spring (I was already pregnant), I told my husband that I would understand if he didn't want to have more children since he could end up a single father. His response was that he wants me to be the mother of his children, and that as long as my health permits it my CF shouldn't stop us from having another child. I'm doing very well, my PFT's are in the 80's. Still, I culture for staph aureus and it does cause problems. There are no guarantees that my health will hold out for as many years as I need to raise my baby.

Now that I have had my baby, I see how positive motherhood is for me. My baby girl motivates me to take care of myself even more. I had a c-section 3 weeks ago and I already walk 2 hours a day for exercise. My daughter needs me so I intend to do everything I can to be there for her.

Bonnie

H

hopesiris

Hi Sarah,

After I was diagnosed this spring (I was already pregnant), I told my husband that I would understand if he didn't want to have more children since he could end up a single father. His response was that he wants me to be the mother of his children, and that as long as my health permits it my CF shouldn't stop us from having another child. I'm doing very well, my PFT's are in the 80's. Still, I culture for staph aureus and it does cause problems. There are no guarantees that my health will hold out for as many years as I need to raise my baby.

Now that I have had my baby, I see how positive motherhood is for me. My baby girl motivates me to take care of myself even more. I had a c-section 3 weeks ago and I already walk 2 hours a day for exercise. My daughter needs me so I intend to do everything I can to be there for her.

Bonnie

H

hopesiris

Hi Sarah,

Bonnie

H

hopesiris

Hi Sarah,

Bonnie

H

hopesiris

Hi Sarah,

Bonnie