OT-Update on friend in Iraq

julie

Instead of responding to all the PM/email inquiries I've had reagarding my friend and her husband in Iraq, I decided to just post it here. And also to once again ask for prayers for this family!

Some of you might remember a post I made a few weeks ago regarding my friend and her husband's situation. Yesterday, he along with 7 marines WERE charged with Murder.

Please Please Please keep this family in your thoughts and prayers! Melson Bacos is only 21 as is his wife. They have a 1 year old daughter and just celebrated their 1st wedding anniversary.

I know it's easy to jump to judgement about killing an "innocent" person but please before you judge, I beg of you to keep in mind 1.We are at war, 2. when you recieve an order by a superior you are to carry it out without question, however wrong it might be. Especially on a deployment when the only people to turn to and report wrong-doings to are those who are instructing it to be done.

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13459928/
">http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13459928/
</a>

And I just have to add this, because it sums up my feelings with this whole situation. I am sorry if you don't agree.

WHAT'S ALL THE FUSS?

"Are we fighting a war on terror or aren't we? Was it or was it not
started by Islamic people who brought it to our shores on September 11,
2001?

Were people from all over the world, mostly Americans, not brutally
murdered that day, in downtown Manhattan, across the Potomac from our
nation's capitol and in a field in Pennsylvania ?

Did nearly three thousand men, women and children die a horrible, burning
or crushing death that day, or didn't they?

And I'm supposed to care that a copy of the Koran was "desecrated" when an
overworked American soldier kicked it or got it wet?
Well, I don't. I don't care at all.

I'll start caring when Osama bin Laden turns himself in and repents for
incinerating all those innocent people on 9/11.

I'll care about the Koran when the fanatics in the Middle East start caring
about the Holy Bible, the mere possession of which is a crime in Saudi
Arabia.

I'll care when Abu Musab al-Zarqawi tells the world he is sorry for hacking
off Nick Berg's head while Berg screamed through his gurgling slashed
throat.

I'll care when the cowardly so-called "insurgents" in Iraq come out and
fight like men instead of disrespecting their own religion by hiding in
mosques.

I'll care when the mindless zealots who blow themselves up in search of
nirvana care about the innocent children within range of their suicide
bombs.

I'll care when the American media stops pretending that their First
Amendment liberties are somehow derived from international law
instead of the United States Constitution's Bill of Rights.

In the meantime, when I hear a story about a brave marine roughing up an
Iraqi terrorist to obtain information, know this: I don't care.

When I see a fuzzy photo of a pile of naked Iraqi prisoners who have been
humiliated in what amounts to a college-hazing incident, rest assured that
I don't care.

When I see a wounded terrorist get shot in the head when he is told not to
move because he might be booby-trapped, you can take it to the bank that I
don't care.

When I hear that a prisoner, who was issued a Koran and a prayer mat, and
fed "special" food that is paid for by my tax dollars, is complaining that
his holy book is being "mishandled," you can absolutely believe in your
heart of hearts that I don't care.

And oh, by the way, I've noticed that sometimes it's spelled "Koran" and
other times "Quran." Well, Jimmy Crack Corn and ---- you guessed it - - -
I don't care ! ! ! ! !

If you agree with this viewpoint, pass this on to all your e-mail friends.
Sooner or later, it'll get to the people responsible for this ridiculous
behavior! If you don't agree, then by all means hit the delete button.

Should you choose the latter, then please don't complain when more
atrocities committed by radical Muslims happen here in our great country."

julie

Thank you Claudette, I appreciate it and I know they will too.

I also forgot to mention, they still have their defense fund going... www.patriotdefensefund.com I am posting it not because it is a place to donate for melson's defense, but for for the purpose of this site, for those who are interested, you can send him a little "hi, don't know you but are praying for you" email that his wife will deliver to him. If anyone has some extra minutes to do this, He would be overwhelmed with appreciation, I know that for sure.

BigBee

Julie,
I've been watching for an update from you on your friends. Melson is from my area and I read a big article about him in our local paper this morning, but didn't realize it was the same person until I read your post. They are in my prayers.

Mary

S

skh

Thanks Julie for the update. I will most definitely keep them in my thoughts and prayers. I have to say I enjoyed the rest of your post also. That was emailed to me quite some time ago. Take care.

julie

Thanks so much Mary and Sue and Sonai. Steve, I'll try to find the post and just refresh it for you.

TCNJcystic

Thanks, Julie, for refreshing that post. Reading about your friend's specific situation gave me a better perspective and sympathy for the struggle he has to deal with. I disagree with the statement under "What's all this fuss?" but to each his own. I hope that your friend comes out of this with the respect he seemingly deserves.

reillybug

The family is in my thoughts & prayers. I say on the news they are all being charged with murder, and was afraid that was your friend.

julie

Thanks steve. I realize some would disagree with "what's all this fuss", I thought I'd post it because it's a reflection of how I feel. I agree with you though, to each his own. I don't view anyone who doesn't like it any differently, we all think along very different lines. Thanks for your nice words.

I've let my friend know that many people she doesn't konw are praying for their family, she sends her deepest appreciation!

Thanks Cindy for your thoughts and prayers for them

NoExcuses

I am so sorry to hear about your friend. I am horrified at how these men are being treated. My good friend, JP, before he was killed, talked about the politics that was going on over there. www.jpblecksmith.org

I will keep your friend in my thoughts and prayers.

Allisa35

Julie, how true. You don't know how disgusted I get watching the news. It just seems like they marvel in showing all the bad stuff that happens, and then if a soldier has done something inappropriate, they are all over it. I think I only saw a few segments on the news (2 days at the most) about the 2 US soldiers that were tortured and killed. I don't revel in anybody dying, but I have often wondered why they charge these soldiers with murder when they are putting their lives on the line for our country. Granted, I don't know the whole story and I don't know everything that goes on over there, but it is war like you said, and like it or not, innocent people are going to be killed. I don't like it, but it's just how it is. I hope things work out with your friend.

anonymous

Question: If this is so far away unrelated from CF such as discussing Iraq and a friend in the armed forced embroiled in a controversy, and even labeled OT, why isn't it just in the Off Topic forum? I thought that is what that was for?

GaryHairycheese

anonymous

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>anonymous</b></i>

Question: If this is so far away unrelated from CF such as discussing Iraq and a friend in the armed forced embroiled in a controversy, and even labeled OT, why isn't it just in the Off Topic forum? I thought that is what that was for?

GaryHairycheese</end quote></div>

I agree, actually, this would make sense as a blog entry, especially instead of adding this in multiple forums.

anonymous

Iraq is making our soldiers crazy, does it also have to make us crazy (and irrational I might add) here at home?

War involves killing, which is wrong. Nobody ever "learned their lesson" from being killed. Other people don't "heed that warning"--it makes them more determined to complete THEIR mission. (Are we deterred by the insurgents???)Does either side believe their perspective is less right than the other side? Of course not! Does adding killing into this mixture solve anything? HOW?

I do feel bad for marines and soldiers in Iraq. It is very sad that they are dying and under attack. However, that doesn't make it "right" that they are there in the first place.

And, less we forget, 9/11 attackers = Saudis not Iraqis

julie

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Question: If this is so far away unrelated from CF such as discussing Iraq and a friend in the armed forced embroiled in a controversy, and even labeled OT, why isn't it just in the Off Topic forum? I thought that is what that was for? </end quote></div>

GaryHairycheese (aka maybe Brad????), Please seem my personal opinion regarding the OT section and posting in the other sections about OT things. It's in one of the threads started today titled "adult forum".

This is very CF related to myself and my husband because it now affects our daily living and our feelings, and very possibly in the long run, our/his health. There are those of you who this won't impact, understandably so. But at this time, I need support for myself and moreso, support for my friend and her family. Where better to turn for support than a "family" I have belonged to for over 2 years now. I am sorry but if you read that it was OT and about a friend in Iraq, why read it if you don't agree it should be here?

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>I agree, actually, this would make sense as a blog entry, especially instead of adding this in multiple forums. </end quote></div>

To the second anonymous poster, I don't have a blog and don't intend to get one, and don't feel my posts should be limited because of that fact.

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote> do feel bad for marines and soldiers in Iraq. It is very sad that they are dying and under attack. However, that doesn't make it "right" that they are there in the first place.</end quote></div>

I couldn't agree more with you. I don't think it's "right" that they are there either. I have a million feelings for what the heck we are doing in Iraq and not going after Bin Laden. but the bottom line when you are in the military i(and I am, so speaking from experience) is this: YOU DO NOT HAVE A CHOICE. It's not the soldiers fault that they are there, it's the politicians and the president.

My intention is not at all to start any sort of political debate, but this is something that is very near and dear to my heart and for those who understand that, much appreciation and grattitude.
For those who don't understand that, please just stop reading now. There's no sense in lecturing me about my post, because to me, IT IS CF RELATED.

Diane

Julie i will keep your friend and his family in my prayers.................... That must be so hard to go thru............

anonymous

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>julie</b></i>

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>
My intention is not at all to start any sort of political debate</end quote></div>

Then why attach a political screed written to provoke and offend?

Unbelievable.