stockpiling for civil unrest?

CyrilCrodius

I've been deeply in then acutely out of conspiracy stuff. Nothing new under the sun. They've been predicting a financial collapse with civil unrest for like 6 years now. It has yet to happen. It should have happened in 2008-2009. It didn't. So I doubt it ever will. "They" won't let the machine fall. Don't worry. Nothing's going to change unless people want to make the changes happen and if/when they do, it's going to be good, not bad.

TheDude92

I beleive that mainstream media just likes to spread terror about events. We as humans need to learn how to chiper fact from fiction. I wonder how much yellow journalism is still in our media today? I have never really believed anything I have seen on TV. Im from Missouri you gotta show me that we are on the way to civil unrest. Now someone mentioned keeping a stock pile in case of disasters that is actually a smart move. Wish I could do that but since I live in a snigle story house be kind of pointless to stock up if a tornado blows my home away. Either way I live out in the country and if all hell broke loose. I believe that the area I live in would ban together just to survive. That being said wouldn't want to come around our little group with hostile intentions because I am pretty sharp with a rifle.

I totally 100% agree!! My very elderly parents spend the bulk of what little brain power they have left paralyzed with fear that they get from certain TV stations. They used to be active, objective and happy, and now they are racist, fearful and suspicious and hateful. TURN IT OFF!

musclemania70

i use guns when i need to. its not hard. keep 'em in the closet. anyone steps on my lawn without permission will see the barrel. i am the gun lobby.

jbrandyn

True life, the media is ridiculous, stop worrying. Western society is pretty stable and oddly, the US is one of the more stable nations at the moment. Corrupt, but stable.

jbrandyn

Perhaps if we as a society were to take a look at ourselves ad how many of the media's representations of our nation are false we would be able to live without constant worry. We will be fine, they system will change, but for the better. A life lived in fear, especially unfounded fears is not a life lived at all.

There is a simple resolution to the problem, that is, calm down and think for yourselves rather than taking the apocalyptic view being force bed to us by those with the power to do so. Love your neighbor, and their neighbor, stay informed by facts and reach out to information you would not regularly seek. It may be eye opening as to the nature of the social construction of reality.

Peace be with you,
Brandyn

static

Have you not seen the state of the world lately? Just because we have a chronic illness doesn't mean we aren't still members of society and that the ramifications of whatever happens in our respective countries doesn't effect us! We should always be prepared.

I usually have a couple month stock pile (generally that is for if I lose my health insurance or can't afford my medications-which has happened more frequently than I'd like to admit). I also know where many mail order and private pharmacies are within a 100 mile area of me are (just in case the world really does "end"). I know it seems outlandish that something so horrible could happen but a couple hundred years ago it was completely possible. Just because we have more technology now doesn't mean we are any more intelligent or civilized. I say, prepare for the worst and hope for the best. My only real problem is I don't have a plan in place for my port if something goes wrong, which has been weighing very heavily on my mind recently.

Well if you want to know the blunt truth we will all be dead, plain and simple. My friends like to hypothesize what they would do if the end of the world happens (watch WAY too many movies), but the truth is even many of them- healthy people- wouldn't survive. It won't be a story of tragedy mixed in with acts of heroism like the movies lead you to believe, but rather a slaughter of every single civilian that wasn't brought up from day 1 on how to survive.

That is the way I see it. If we are wrong, so what? Think of everything you did today without having to worry about an apocalypse, do you really want to do that with one going on?

P.S- How are you "stockpiling" medical supplies, my hospitals pharmacy won't even let me order refills until the previous has run out?!

Melissa75

Administrator
Humans no doubt have a cruel selfish "Lord of the Flies" side, but we also have a heroic community-oriented side. Why assume someone stepping on your lawn is out to get you? Why escalate the interaction to guns? Maybe it's my husband coming by to give you some of his homebrew. Having been in New York City during September 11th and the days that followed, I have more confidence in the good of people in a crisis than I might have had otherwise. Maybe that sounds strange because 9/11 was a lethal attack on innocent people, but I also saw humans at their best that day. Hundreds of medical professionals on-deck outside hospitals, people lending each other money, rides, phones, people comforting strangers, people crammed together waiting peacefully for hours for public transportation. I doubt New Yorkers are nicer than other Americans, though one might argue they are used to being in close quarters with each other. People ARE capable of atrocities, but they are also capable of working together and putting the needs of others before them. Don't despair.

azdesertrat

Well let's see here: our nation is in debt to the tune of trillions to Communist China.
We rely on people that hate us because we (as a nation) don't subscribe to their version of 'God', for our energy needs.
The country has never been so divided along economic, social, racial and religious lines as it is now.
Yea, what bad can happen? Just keep listening to NPR, Bloomberg & the New York Times.
This reminds me of the ROTC guy in 'Animal House'. THERE IS NO REASON TO BE ALARMED!
Hey, don't worry, all is well...
Also, believe it or not; I CAN handle other things besides managing cystic fibrosis.
Good lord, can people actually be THAT single dimensional???

calebf

Interesting thread. I'd agree there's a lot of conflicting forces at work today that create the risk of unrest. Just look at the Occupy movement. Look at how we elected a democratic president and then only 2 years later the Republicans have the house. High unemployment. Stagnant wages for the bottom 50%. A huge deficit. Fighting wars for a decade that people don't believe in, that have cost lives and a ton of money. People aren't happy with the condition and direction of the country and the fact is that these things are factors for unrest.

My question has always been what's the theoretical tipping point? What's the critical mass? Not cause I want to stockpile guns or food. I think it's interesting to look at. Overall I think a large swath of like-minded people need to be in a pretty desperate place to consider an uprising of any sort. Overall the risk of unrest seems to me to be very very low. Obviously a recession always increases the risk among poorer and marginalized groups, but I think in this day and age the land of abundance, even in a recession, is plenty abundant to keep everyone happy enough with the status quo. If you look at previous American examples of unrest, the American Revolution and the Civil War you see large divides between two sets of people. The primary ignition point was economic in both cases. Taxes in the American Revolution. Tariffs in the Civil War. It's when one group of people willfully squeeze another group of people economically that the risk for unrest rises dramatically. The Occupy movement tried to pin the 1% with the blame, but that argument hardly holds water.

In Europe, I'd say the risk is a bit higher. Austerity cuts are causing riots in the more financially troubled countries. Countries are falling into default like dominoes, but even there I think things will right themselves long before full scale unrest happens.

Another trends is that overall around the world and in developed countries things are improving on the back of enormous progress in information technology. I believe a lot of the shifts we're seeing in the economy are growing pains to adjust to a new leaner, more robust, and more global economy, that's ultimately beneficial. Technology has the power to both distribute and consolidate power. Information technology is so powerful, broad, and applicable in scope that I think how the consolidation and distribution of various power sources (economic, cultural, social, political, etc) pans out in response to new technology platforms will decide the stability of nations in the next decade or so. Overall I think the trend will be toward more stability in the US and worldwide, however the US may not be the center of the universe. The hurt you see now may be long lasting because the US in many industries has lost its competitive edge.

I have to agree with the person who said you should be more worried about insurance companies denying claims than preparing for unrest. People always talk of unrest in times of recession. I believe in owning guns but I don't own one. I have better things to spend a few hundred dollars on - like co-pays!!

static

My mistake. I thought this thread was about a significant global event, something such as an asteroid hitting the Earth or nuclear bombs going off.

I can really care less about a few people fighting, especially during an election year. If that is what keeps you going though then more power to you.

A

Allansarmy

And all the computers will stop working and missile systems will activate causing world wide global shut down .... wait that was January 1st, 2000 sorry wrong thread.

static

And all the computers will stop working and missile systems will activate causing world wide global shut down .... wait that was January 1st, 2000 sorry wrong thread.

LOL I remember that, I was in 6th grade then.

It wasn't really until I took 8th grade astronomy that I had legitimate fears about getting blown the blank up though (family site). The probability is small, but there actually are proven things that can end life as we know it.

I'd be more worried about that.

H

hammerpocket

When the movie Bowling For Columbine came out, everyone talked about it as if the main point was "guns are bad." To me, it was more about paranoia. We have become so paranoid in the United States that we can't even think straight; the obsession with guns is just a symptom. Sadly, having guns around in readiness for imminent violence can be a self-fulfilling prophecy.

I am a pretty pessimistic and cynical person, but I don't think my neighbors, or the government, or any other "they" are out to get me. Whenever you think about how bad things are "these days," realize this:

Violent crime has been on a downward trend for 20 years.

"Paranoia, the destroyer" -The Kinks