1 yr old positive c-diff

momtohazel

so finally got a an answer for my daughter's recent GI issues. We are starting Flagyl today. I was just wondering what others experiences are treating this. How long to treat and any other suggestions folks might have. thanks.<br>we will be increasing her probitotics during this antibiotic course but otherwise no other changes.<br>

momtohazel

so finally got a an answer for my daughter's recent GI issues. We are starting Flagyl today. I was just wondering what others experiences are treating this. How long to treat and any other suggestions folks might have. thanks.<br>we will be increasing her probitotics during this antibiotic course but otherwise no other changes.<br>

momtohazel

momtohazel

one other thing? has your little one had experience with this bug? i'm scratching my head why she got this. She has been on antibiotics only once about 7 months ago. We did a week of prevacid when they suspected that would help the gi issues. it did not, but actually got worse after starting prevacid, ie went to pooping 2-3x to 6-10x/day. pediatrician mentioned that prevacid can disrupt the balance and allow the bacteria to proliferate. anyone have this experience? <br>

momtohazel

one other thing? has your little one had experience with this bug? i'm scratching my head why she got this. She has been on antibiotics only once about 7 months ago. We did a week of prevacid when they suspected that would help the gi issues. it did not, but actually got worse after starting prevacid, ie went to pooping 2-3x to 6-10x/day. pediatrician mentioned that prevacid can disrupt the balance and allow the bacteria to proliferate. anyone have this experience? <br>

momtohazel

just1more

C. Diff is almost exclusively nosocomial, meaning she got it from either the Dr's office or the hospital.
<br>
<br>Unlike some other bacteria, you don't normally have it in your gut. Most of the time even once infected it can linger for quite a while until antibiotics kill off the other bacteria, or you get sick and it gets an advantage.
<br>
<br>Once you get it, it can be hard to kill. Flagyl is pretty common, and for a first infection I would guess maybe 2 weeks. Some patients with c. diff. that are having trouble killing go so far as to do a 'tobi-like' pattern of 28days on/off for an extended period. Though I doubt you will need anything that severe at her age.
<br>
<br>Hopefully this is will take care of it and she will be back to normal soon.

just1more

C. Diff is almost exclusively nosocomial, meaning she got it from either the Dr's office or the hospital.
<br>
<br>Unlike some other bacteria, you don't normally have it in your gut. Most of the time even once infected it can linger for quite a while until antibiotics kill off the other bacteria, or you get sick and it gets an advantage.
<br>
<br>Once you get it, it can be hard to kill. Flagyl is pretty common, and for a first infection I would guess maybe 2 weeks. Some patients with c. diff. that are having trouble killing go so far as to do a 'tobi-like' pattern of 28days on/off for an extended period. Though I doubt you will need anything that severe at her age.
<br>

just1more

<br>
<br>
<br>

kitomd21

I don't have any direct experience with C. diff., but I have read that PPI's can make one more susceptible to colonization.

See: <A HREF="http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/721579">http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/721579</A>

kitomd21

I don't have any direct experience with C. diff., but I have read that PPI's can make one more susceptible to colonization.

See: <A HREF="http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/721579">http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/721579</A>

kitomd21

<br />
<br />See: <A HREF="http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/721579">http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/721579</A>

T

tarheel

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>just1more</b></i>

Unlike some other bacteria, you don't normally have it in your gut. Most of the time even once infected it can linger for quite a while until antibiotics kill off the other bacteria, or you get sick and it gets an advantage.

Once you get it, it can be hard to kill. Flagyl is pretty common, and for a first infection I would guess maybe 2 weeks. Some patients with c. diff. that are having trouble killing go so far as to do a 'tobi-like' pattern of 28days on/off for an extended period. Though I doubt you will need anything that severe at her age.

Hopefully this is will take care of it and she will be back to normal soon.</end quote></div>

<div>*nods head* Yeah that's pretty much it. Do you go to a hospital/center that you know has an issue with C Diff? UNC doesn't have an issue per ce with their CFers colonizing CDiff but they try and make sure their patients are aware of it.</div>

T

tarheel

Unlike some other bacteria, you don't normally have it in your gut. Most of the time even once infected it can linger for quite a while until antibiotics kill off the other bacteria, or you get sick and it gets an advantage.

Once you get it, it can be hard to kill. Flagyl is pretty common, and for a first infection I would guess maybe 2 weeks. Some patients with c. diff. that are having trouble killing go so far as to do a 'tobi-like' pattern of 28days on/off for an extended period. Though I doubt you will need anything that severe at her age.

Hopefully this is will take care of it and she will be back to normal soon.</end quote>

*nods head* Yeah that's pretty much it. Do you go to a hospital/center that you know has an issue with C Diff? UNC doesn't have an issue per ce with their CFers colonizing CDiff but they try and make sure their patients are aware of it.

T

tarheel

Hopefully this is will take care of it and she will be back to normal soon.</end quote>

*nods head* Yeah that's pretty much it. Do you go to a hospital/center that you know has an issue with C Diff? UNC doesn't have an issue per ce with their CFers colonizing CDiff but they try and make sure their patients are aware of it.

izemmom

Emily had recurring c.diff when when she was between 1 and 2 years old. She hadn't been hospitalized since she'd left the NICU. She had been on steady courses of antibiotics, however. I don't recall how long she was on Flagyl, but I do know that it didn't work and she was switched to vancomycin. We fought c. diff off and on for about a year, she was hospitalized twice during the year for deyhdration and weight loss due to the c. diff. We started probiotics, she got a feeding tube for better nutrition, we got more aggressive in treating her reflux and eventually the c diff subsided. She hasn't had it since.

It was essential for us that our CF team worked closely with the GI. I know this isn't always the case at some clinics, so I'd suggest that you try to get a meeting with everyone. Hopefully you are lucky enough to have a GI specalist on your team already! We have also made everyone from the pediatriian to the ENT that she has seen since then that she has had c.diff. They are much more judicious and picky about which antibiotics they use. she also never goes a day with out her probiotic and she eats lots and lots of foods with probiotic effects.

Good luck! I hope your little one is feeling better soon!!!!

izemmom

Emily had recurring c.diff when when she was between 1 and 2 years old. She hadn't been hospitalized since she'd left the NICU. She had been on steady courses of antibiotics, however. I don't recall how long she was on Flagyl, but I do know that it didn't work and she was switched to vancomycin. We fought c. diff off and on for about a year, she was hospitalized twice during the year for deyhdration and weight loss due to the c. diff. We started probiotics, she got a feeding tube for better nutrition, we got more aggressive in treating her reflux and eventually the c diff subsided. She hasn't had it since.

It was essential for us that our CF team worked closely with the GI. I know this isn't always the case at some clinics, so I'd suggest that you try to get a meeting with everyone. Hopefully you are lucky enough to have a GI specalist on your team already! We have also made everyone from the pediatriian to the ENT that she has seen since then that she has had c.diff. They are much more judicious and picky about which antibiotics they use. she also never goes a day with out her probiotic and she eats lots and lots of foods with probiotic effects.

Good luck! I hope your little one is feeling better soon!!!!

izemmom

<br />
<br />It was essential for us that our CF team worked closely with the GI. I know this isn't always the case at some clinics, so I'd suggest that you try to get a meeting with everyone. Hopefully you are lucky enough to have a GI specalist on your team already! We have also made everyone from the pediatriian to the ENT that she has seen since then that she has had c.diff. They are much more judicious and picky about which antibiotics they use. she also never goes a day with out her probiotic and she eats lots and lots of foods with probiotic effects.
<br />
<br />Good luck! I hope your little one is feeling better soon!!!!

momtohazel

she has not been in the hospital ever. we have been to the doctor's office for her weigh ins. i suppose that could be where she picked it up. sounds like folks, even those that have not been on antibiotics or in a hospital, can and do get c-diff. it is not as common but it does happen. when i asked my ped her nurse said, "its because she has cf". i don't know if i agree with that, yes maybe if she had been on PPIs and antibiotics but this was not the case. although as mentioned they did start her on prevacid (but this was after her GI issues began) i don't know if this made things worse or if the c-diff was becoming more severe because it went untreated for several weeks.<br><br>she is taking the Flagyl 3x/day for 5 days. we are upping are regularly probiotics and awaiting for some with <em>Saccharomyces boulardii which supposedly is effective for restoring the bacterial balance when c-diff is an issue.<br><br>i am keeping my fingers crossed that this course does it and i will continue the probiotics <br>after too.<br><br>they want us to resume the prevacid (which i stopped when her symptoms got worse) but knowing what i know now and just don't think i can. i feel certain that the weight gain issues are related to the c-diff not the decrease effectiveness of enzymes as before she got sick she was gaining weight fine. she is small, though, but has been since birth. i am small and my husband's side of the family is very thin.<br><br>i am a little concerned above how tired she seems. she is sleeping way more than usual. i suppose the 3 weeks of GI issues has left her exhausted? we did just re-did her labs and not anemic. other labs, prior to yesterday, taken about 1 month ago before this all began were good for vitamin levels, albumin, etc.<br><br><br><br></em>

momtohazel

she has not been in the hospital ever. we have been to the doctor's office for her weigh ins. i suppose that could be where she picked it up. sounds like folks, even those that have not been on antibiotics or in a hospital, can and do get c-diff. it is not as common but it does happen. when i asked my ped her nurse said, "its because she has cf". i don't know if i agree with that, yes maybe if she had been on PPIs and antibiotics but this was not the case. although as mentioned they did start her on prevacid (but this was after her GI issues began) i don't know if this made things worse or if the c-diff was becoming more severe because it went untreated for several weeks.<br><br>she is taking the Flagyl 3x/day for 5 days. we are upping are regularly probiotics and awaiting for some with <em>Saccharomyces boulardii which supposedly is effective for restoring the bacterial balance when c-diff is an issue.<br><br>i am keeping my fingers crossed that this course does it and i will continue the probiotics <br>after too.<br><br>they want us to resume the prevacid (which i stopped when her symptoms got worse) but knowing what i know now and just don't think i can. i feel certain that the weight gain issues are related to the c-diff not the decrease effectiveness of enzymes as before she got sick she was gaining weight fine. she is small, though, but has been since birth. i am small and my husband's side of the family is very thin.<br><br>i am a little concerned above how tired she seems. she is sleeping way more than usual. i suppose the 3 weeks of GI issues has left her exhausted? we did just re-did her labs and not anemic. other labs, prior to yesterday, taken about 1 month ago before this all began were good for vitamin levels, albumin, etc.<br><br><br><br></em>