18 month old spitting enzymes out

Emily65Roses

My mom and dad have always been honest with me about everything... and my mom hid the enzyme "dots" in applesauce when I was younger. I don't care about it. Flat out lying... and hiding meds when a child is that young are far too different in my opinion for it to matter. And take my word for it, I don't take the situation lightly. I'm a big freak about lying in almost any situation... I hate it. But of course, tis just my opinion.

gabby

Hi my name is Sarah and I was 14 mths when I was dx and my mom wold put them in my baby food that had other little things in them so that I coundn't tell that they were in my food. My mom told me to tell yo to try tapeocan pudding. and to the lady that said to just give the pills with ouut anything at 18 mths you can't tell the child that he/she is sick is they don't know why mommy or daddy is making them that something that is awful to them. When they get to be 2 or 3 is when yo teach them how to do it whole.

Sarah 23 w/cf
and daughter 2 1/2 wo/cf

anonymous

I have always told my children from day 1 that if they don't swallow their enzymes, they can't eat. After skipping a meal as toddlers, they would always be so hungry for the next that they would take them. I'm not saying it was fun at that age but they had no choice. We used pudding, opened the capsules and poured the contents in, we used just enough, like one teaspoon of pudding per enzyme if that. They would gag as toddlers but if they took a sip from their sippy cup in between gulps of pudding, we got it down. Hang in there.

thefrogprincess

Hi Julie,
Thanks for asking about dad. He's doing great, driving my mom nuts by complaining about being bored.

My email address is thefrogprincess@mail.com if you want to converse that way. We should definately meet when you get back up this way!

anonymous

Hi there,
My daughter is 20 months old with CF. I too have been having the same problem with the enzymes. But my daughter has just recently started swallowing the enzymes without spitting them out. We too tried everything applesauce, peanut butter, baby food, etc. All of a sudden one day my daughter quit fighting it. I was amazed...I almost started crying. We are on our 5th day of her taking them like a champ!!! I think the key is consistency. Be consistent in how, where and when you give the enzyme and eventually she will give up the fight and take them. For an example I always give my daughter her enzyme when she is in her highchair for meals and snacks. Her food is always sitting nearby so she can see it. I tell her when she takes her enzyme she can have her food. I use the same spoon everytime ( a toddler spoon, it is smaller). We generally give her the enzyme with either strawberry applesauce or chocolate syrup (you can use anything but dairy foods, the point is to get the enzyme in them). Don't put too much on the spoon (thats just more they have to swallow) When she was still fighting the enzymes, I would hold her hands above her head with one hand and spoon in the enzymes with the other. When she spit out the enzmymes I scraped them off her chin and tried again. I know this is stressful...I used to cry myself to sleep worried about her not getting enough enzymes. But I promise it will get better...soon! Just keep trying and be consistent. Children thrive off of consistency... if your child knows you are not giving up they will give in.

Lynsey-20 mo old daughter w/CF

Emeraldmirror

When i was little my parents used to use applesauce, and if there was no applesauce it was ketchup. It was good for a while, until i was bout 4-5 when it started to make me nausious(sp). I very quickly learned how to swallow them. But to this day i can't eat applesauce i literally gag when i smell it. I dunno, when i was younger i saw a mother giving her baby powder enzymes. maybe you can ask your doctor about that. Or crush up the little balls into powder.

Ashley 20 w/cf

anonymous

when my son was 2 we also had the same problem with enzymes. We tried everything to get him to take them and tried like every food imaginable. Finally we came across the Sprinkliins yogurt the yogurt with the sprinkles in it and it worked! Joey didn't even know they were in there cuz the sprinkles disguised the texture/taste.However being that the sprinklins were so expensive i just bought a big container of yogurt and bought sprinkles out of the baking section and just added them myself.Also have u tried giving her an award after her enzymes have been taken?Something small like 1 m&m or meybe a sticker something she really likes this also worked for us. Good luck and stay positive this phase won't last forever!